IGNORED

My Swing (Ohdens_Wrath)

Ohdens_Wrath
Note: This thread is 3002 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hey all, 

I am an ex-collegiate baseball players trying to pick up golf. The swing is probably quite ugly, but I am looking to get into the game! I've been golfing for under a year here in Minnesota. 

Recently, I switched my grip to an interlock, when I used to have a baseball grip without sliding my left thumb underneath the palm of my right hand. This, for whatever reason, has made my drive super wonky. I'm hitting irons better than I was, but my drive is unpredictable. I have had a SEVERE hook. I think it has been called a duck hook.. it takes off straight and then has an incredible amount of side spin and top spin and dives to the sharp left. Today, I hit a bucket of balls at the range, and initially I was slicing it, which was odd for me. I think it was because I was overgripping previously and I decided to weaken my grip slightly. The videos below both sliced. I hit some irons after, and came back to the driver, and then the driver was back to the hook. Any help would be great. Thanks!

Sam

SIDE VIEW: 

REAR VIEW: 

:titleist: 913D2 

:ping: i 4-PW white dot

:titleist: Vokey 50*, 54*, and 58*

:odyssey: White Hot #7

I'd just start with something simple. Narrow the stance a couple inches with each foot and turn your feet out. Will help keep your hips centered on the backswing and give you a better chance to get the weight forward on the downswing (and not back like it is in the pic).

Screen_Shot_2015-10-07_at_10.53.30_PM.th

So check this thread out.
Why Flaring Your Feet at Address Makes Golf Easier

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Thanks mvmac!

I've heard a lot of people say that baseball players have very similar golf swings that tend to create a slice. Something about starting outside and compensating by coming back in and cutting across the ball making a slice? Can anyone tell if I'm doing this or what else I can fix in my swing? I'll definitely try narrowing up the stance and flaring the feet. 

Thanks mvmac!

I've heard a lot of people say that baseball players have very similar golf swings that tend to create a slice. Something about starting outside and compensating by coming back in and cutting across the ball making a slice? Can anyone tell if I'm doing this or what else I can fix in my swing? I'll definitely try narrowing up the stance and flaring the feet. 

If the weight stays back it tends to promote a path across the ball.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Thanks mvmac!

That and also baseball tend not to roll the forearms (release the bat/club after impact) doing so results in an open face. 

If the weight stays back it tends to promote a path across the ball.

I agree with earlier assessments.  Narrowing the stance is going to help promote a turn through the ball and on to your left side.  I would practice hitting wedges about 75% strength with your feet together.  They need to honestly be touching.  Hit those shots just focusing on the feeling of the weight transfer on the downswing.  You load up your right side very well on the way back but about halfway through the downswing your lower body stops and the upper body takes over, this is because of the wide stance hindering the lower body rotation.  Work on that and update up to how it works for you!

Callaway Staffer. Golf Enthusiast. PGA lvl. 3 intern.   Lover of spoiling a good walk.
Driver:  Callaway 816 BB Alpha (Diamana Ki'lia 80 g    3W/5W: Callaway XR Pro  (Diamana Ki'lia 70g)
Irons: 3-PW Callaway Apex Pro (2 flat) Project X pxi     Wedges: 54  &  58 Callaway MD3

Instagram

• 8 months later...

I've been having issues pushing and also slicing my drivers, and pushing my irons. I think that it more than likely has something to do with my release of the club. Any input on my swing? When I slice it, I get very little distance and it doesn't feel like I'm hitting the ball well, but when I do connect I consistently hit it around 310. 

Not a professional instructor, but I'll throw in a couple of things. 

There are not many things universally true about swinging a golf club, but one of them is that you want some spine tilt away from the target and you want to maintain that tilt and not let it get forward. If you look at your swing, you begin tilting toward the target. The more your spine tilts toward the target, the more your path will be pushed across the ball.

And secondly, you look an awful lot like you are squatting instead of a more relaxed posture.

So I'd take a look at sorting out your setup first. It's the easiest thing to do! :-)

Andrew M.

You have a ton of natural rotation. Love it. I am really jealous.

I agree with @amoline regarding the posture. You sit down too much, which causes your shoulders to be too far back. See Robert Rock's posture where his rear end is tucked under his legs more than you and his back is more rounded. From your address position you are like a cat ready to pounce, but in the case pouncing is bad because it causes you to be out of control. 

Screen Shot 2016-07-05 at 3.28.40 PM.png

Here is good thread to look through.

Lastly, I would like to see a close up of your grip. I think you are likely gripping it too weak.

Oh, and you should remind yourself of @mvmac's advice above about turning your feet out. They are still pretty straight. 

• Upvote 1

Michael

As requested, here's my grip. I interlock and can typically see (on my left hand) my index knuckle, middle finger knuckle, and occasionally ring finger. That "V" from my index and thumb points towards my left shoulder. On my right hand the "V" points towards my chest/right shoulder. Usually I can only see my index finger knuckle and sometimes middle finger knuckle.

Just went out golfing today, and it was more of the same. I push and slice my driver, and push my irons. :( 

20160707_201012.jpg

20160707_201212.jpg

On 7/5/2016 at 5:36 PM, mchepp said:

"You have a ton of natural rotation. Love it. I am really jealous."

What does this mean? Haha. I'm not sure which rotation you're referring to. 

Also, here's a screenshot from one of the videos. To me (uneducated towards golf) it looks like maybe my hands are too fast and the club head is lagging behind. Looks to me like the club face is open which is why I'm pushing everything. Yes/No? 

Screen Shot 2016-07-07 at 8.28.56 PM.png

(edited)

Does anyone have any input on this, or big things that could be contributing to my plight? 

Edited by Ohdens_Wrath

On 7/7/2016 at 9:22 PM, Ohdens_Wrath said:

Just went out golfing today, and it was more of the same. I push and slice my driver, and push my irons. :( 

Also, here's a screenshot from one of the videos. To me (uneducated towards golf) it looks like maybe my hands are too fast and the club head is lagging behind. Looks to me like the club face is open which is why I'm pushing everything. Yes/No? 

A push is caused by a path that is inside to out with a face square to the path.

Your path looks to be outside to in. From the video it looks like you hit a lot of shots on the toe. I suspect that this is where you get your push from since a toe strike cause the ball to start further right than your normal start line would be if you hit the center of the clubface. 

When you hit a bigger slice I suspect this is when you hit the center of the clubface.

I agree with above. Work on your posture. 

A1.JPG

Your club is flat here.

A3.JPG

Then it goes to steep here in the downswing. 

A5.JPG

If you want stop slicing the ball then reverse that. Get the club more vertical in the backswing and shallow it out in the downswing. This is why you see yourself standing up in the video when you go into impact. You get too steep and save it by making extra room by standing up. 

• Upvote 1

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Note: This thread is 3002 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!