IGNORED

My Swing (NeedAJoker)

NeedAJoker
Note: This thread is 2943 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

27 minutes ago, NeedAJoker said:

Are there any feels or drills for this?  Just more mirror/video work to get it grooved? Feel like I am shortening my backswing? 

What the wrist is doing is mostly a reaction to the right arm/elbow and possibly the hip turn. I'd make sure the "pressure point" doesn't get behind the shirt seam and that the right arms feels a bit wider on the backswing.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

OK, watching that video make sense to me. Thanks as always!  I have another lesson tomorrow so I am going to try and nail my shaft position down as best I can before so I can get a new priority piece.  Kind of moving pretty fast with a lesson every week, so ill be happy to skip the next week due to Christmas and get a little time to let my body catch up to my brain.

Kevin

• 4 weeks later...

Have a quick question...I started choking down on every club by starting my left palm 1-1.5 inches below the butt of the grip.  Not surprisingly I feel a lot more in control and am making better contact.  With better contact, distance has been increasing as well, but I just want to make sure I am not ingraining any bad habits before I continue down this path, and want to make sure it isn't just compensating for something else I am doing wrong in my swing.  Or, is it perfectly normal and correct to choke down a bit?  I was never truly fitted for my new set of irons last year, so they are stock length and lie, pretty much right off the shelf. I am 5'10, average build.

Everything else is coming along nicely and I will try to get a good video and post an update later this week.

Thanks,

Kevin

16 minutes ago, NeedAJoker said:

Have a quick question...I started choking down on every club by starting my left palm 1-1.5 inches below the butt of the grip.  Not surprisingly I feel a lot more in control and am making better contact.  With better contact, distance has been increasing as well, but I just want to make sure I am not ingraining any bad habits before I continue down this path, and want to make sure it isn't just compensating for something else I am doing wrong in my swing.  Or, is it perfectly normal and correct to choke down a bit?  I was never truly fitted for my new set of irons last year, so they are stock length and lie, pretty much right off the shelf. I am 5'10, average build.

Everything else is coming along nicely and I will try to get a good video and post an update later this week.

Thanks,

Kevin

1-1.5 inches from the butt seems about right anyway.

Fundamentals-of-Golf-The-Grip-300x225.jp

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

OK that is almost exactly where I am gripping it, so that is great to see!  What a game this is, even if I can talk swing planes, wrist hinging, lateral sway, AOA, and on and on, its the little things like this that constantly remind me that I am a "noob" when it comes to golf, and really haven't even scratched the surface. Must be why I am so obsessed!

Thanks!

6 minutes ago, NeedAJoker said:

OK that is almost exactly where I am gripping it, so that is great to see!  What a game this is, even if I can talk swing planes, wrist hinging, lateral sway, AOA, and on and on, its the little things like this that constantly remind me that I am a "noob" when it comes to golf, and really haven't even scratched the surface. Must be why I am so obsessed!

Thanks!

Same here! It's great having these discussions to further any knowledge on our part.

I'm sure many of the more experienced golfers are probably rolling their eyes and slapping their foreheads and went though this discussion many times and many posts ago as well.

For me, it's easier just to post as you did with a simple question. There is just so much for us to learn. . .

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

4 minutes ago, Lihu said:

I'm sure many of the more experienced golfers are probably rolling their eyes and slapping their foreheads and went though this discussion many times and many posts ago as well.

I try to be as cognizant as possible of this, and spend 98% of my time here lurking and searching, so as to not make people have to re-iterate what has been said 1000 times before. That being said, this type of interaction is what helps it "stick" in my mind a bit better, which is the ultimate goal of a thread like this anyway I suppose.

I will be excited once I improve more and can pass down some little tidbits that helped me along the way to others aspiring to improve their game as well.  For now its back to the garage...

Thanks again Lihu.

Kevin

• 3 months later...

It has been a while since I posted in this thread, and I am coming off my best round ever, beating my best score of 87 by 8 for a 79!  I have another thread going that discusses things other than the swing specifics so check it out if you want to know the non-swing related progress: 

Quick Recap for those who don't care about the fluff:

-9 GIR's each of my last two rounds(3 total birdies, putting not super great)

-Can't hit a driver at the moment, so teeing off 3W and it has been great mostly, Arccos showing 252 average, 278 longest.

I spent 5.5 hours today at the range and chipping green, and had some great results.  I look at my swings and still see a lot of flaws, but my overall pivot and body work is so much better than when I started and the shots are feeling much better.  Still coming across the line at the top and over swinging a bit. Been working on takeaway on plane and not so far inside and that has been tough, I did it about 80% in the FO video.  

I took these swings earlier in the session before I knew I was going to be there so long, but my iPhone died getting these so no chance to get better ones.  I have been having an issue with over drawing the ball and hitting some hooks, so I changed my posture a bit and am trying to have looser hands at impact, which is causing a small flip I think, but the ball is coming off crisp and deep for me, so I am happy at the moment and will work that out.  Here is what we got for today:

At this point since I am playing decent, I am considering holding off on any big adjustments until fall so I can really enjoy the summer, but I am open to advice and would love to see what you all think.  

Thanks,

Kevin

Note: This thread is 2943 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!