IGNORED

The truth about core muscle strengthening

Carl John Reader
Note: This thread is 3112 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

While it is essential to strengthen your core muscles it is even more important to strengthen your core muscles the correct way.

There are core exercises that cause the body to become locked or restricted and there are exercises that actually release the body. 

So you may be getting a stronger core but your body is tightening up in your other joints like your back, shoulder and hips. 

Two core exercises that have a locking up affect on the body are the plank and sit ups. Although they are excellent at targeting the abdominals and work them well, these are not functional. You may not experience back pain doing them however it is the underlying tightnes that may result from doing them. 

The first key truth about core exercises is that they should be done standing up and not on your back, side and stomach. 

Many  "core exercises" are done in these positions and even in awkward positions which may lock up your body and cause pain. 

Please let let me know if you have any questions about golf specific core exercises. 

Edited by Carl John Reader

I find this fascinating. I went to a trainer last year for two months, and we discussed making sure the routines were appropriate for golf movements. 

The trainer seemed very knowledgable but he had me doing tons of planks- never mentioning any of what you wrote. 

Any references for us to do further reading.  It sure sounds plausible. 

• Upvote 1

My Swing

Driver: :ping: G30, Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0, Putter: :cleveland:, Balls: :snell:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

While it is essential to strengthen your core muscles it is even more important to strengthen your core muscles the correct way.

There are core exercises that cause the body to become locked or restricted and there are exercises that actually release the body. 

So you may be getting a stronger core but your body is tightening up in your other joints like your back, shoulder and hips. 

Two core exercises that have a locking up affect on the body are the plank and sit ups. Although they are excellent at targeting the abdominals and work them well, these are not functional. You may not experience back pain doing them however it is the underlying tightnes that may result from doing them. 

The first key truth about core exercises is that they should be done standing up and not on your back, side and stomach. 

Many  "core exercises" are done in these positions and even in awkward positions which may lock up your body and cause pain. 

Please let let me know if you have any questions about golf specific core exercises

The obvious question, what are the best exercises?

:callaway: Big Bertha Alpha 815 DBD  :bridgestone: TD-03 Putter   
:tmade: 300 Tour 3W                 :true_linkswear: Motion Shoes
:titleist: 585H Hybrid                       
:tmade: TP MC irons                 
:ping: Glide 54             
:ping: Glide 58
:cleveland: 588 RTX 62

For me the smartest and best core exercises are plank, stability ball and most importantly good posture.  I know all about posture because I have had bad posture all my life and consequently back pain every day since I was like 10 or 12 years old.  Am finally attempting to improve core muscles and posture with the goal of improved golf and a six pack by doing some gym and calisthenics

What's in the bag

• Taylor Made r5 dual Draw 9.5* (stiff)
  • Cobra Baffler 4H (stiff)
  • Taylor Made RAC OS 6-9,P,S (regular)
  • Golden Bear LD5.0 60* (regular)
  • Aidia Z-009 Putter
  • Inesis Soft 500 golf ball

Hi 

Thank you for your replies

The plank as I mentioned is a great exercise to challenge the core but what we are after are functional core exercises that the body was designed to do! 

When in life are you ever performing a plank move except in gym doing planks! 

You can achieve the same results you get from the plank with a less strenuous exercise and that exercise is discovering how to squat correctly. 

The squat done correctly not like in gym is the no 1 exercise to functionally train your core and has many other positives affects on your overall health, posture  and golf swing! 

I'd like to know more but IMO core exercises regardless of the form are general fitness moves that tend to be universally beneficial. Planks may not be the best for golf specific movements but they won't hurt. We do a bunch of core stuff in martial arts, warm ups and many of the movements are rotational so there is some golf crossover. When I do core stuff I don't think specifics because any of it is better than nothing unless it's done so wrong the risk is injury.

Dave :-)

The key thing when it comes to core exercises is to discover what the true function of the core muscles are.  

Media and the fitness industry have emphasized this whole 6 pack obsession however science for a while has shown just how essential a strong core is for posture and lower back pain. 

Again the key is not what are the best core exercises but what are right ways to train your core muscles. 

This requires a mind shift from having a strong core to having a functional core.  

Whats  the difference?

Just because you can do 1000 sit ups and hold the plank for an hour does not mean you have an functioning core because when you address the golf ball or have to do any other activities that require your core to function you may be weak! 

A functioning core requires all the major core muscles to work in a sequence depending on the exercise. 

With the plank, there is no movement, every single muscle in your body is working so no sequences, not a natural movement or position for the body,may strain the neck and shoulders even if form is correct 

Next time you do a plank pay attention to how the body is feeling and not just your 6 pack   

I hope this so makes sense  

The key thing when it comes to core exercises is to discover what the true function of the core muscles are.  

Media and the fitness industry have emphasized this whole 6 pack obsession however science for a while has shown just how essential a strong core is for posture and lower back pain. 

Again the key is not what are the best core exercises but what are right ways to train your core muscles. 

This requires a mind shift from having a strong core to having a functional core.  

Whats  the difference?

Just because you can do 1000 sit ups and hold the plank for an hour does not mean you have an functioning core because when you address the golf ball or have to do any other activities that require your core to function you may be weak! 

A functioning core requires all the major core muscles to work in a sequence depending on the exercise. 

With the plank, there is no movement, every single muscle in your body is working so no sequences, not a natural movement or position for the body,may strain the neck and shoulders even if form is correct 

Next time you do a plank pay attention to how the body is feeling and not just your 6 pack   

I hope this so makes sense  

Would you say the core of your recommendation is, "Just squat, bro"?

Kevin

@SavvySwede took you up on your offer for more specifics. This sees to be an area of passion for you, @Carl John Reader.

You've written both of these things:

Thank you for your reply and agree completely that anything is better  than nothing. 

The first comment intrigued me, as I thought you were saying that the planks I've been doing were hurting me. But now you say that anything is better than nothing.  Are there other people who say planks are "locking up" my body, or are you backing off that statement somewhat?

I'm curious what it is that you do for your core and why. Any specifics or references to other people who agree with you are appreciated. 

My Swing

Driver: :ping: G30, Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0, Putter: :cleveland:, Balls: :snell:

The best core exercises are:  squat, deadlift and pullup.  The squat and deadlift are overall strengthening exercises that can be progressively loaded.  You start super light and gradually add weight over a lot of time.  If yon can squat 300# and deadlift 400#, your core is super strong.  Pullups are an amazing ab exercises.  I suppose you could throw in roll-outs, as well. 

Here's a decent article.  https://www.t-nation.com/training/inside-the-muscles-best-ab-exercises

Hey guys

Yes this is a passion of mine and a profession. 

I help patients recover from spinal fusions and other joint operations and get back on to the golf course. 

What I am suggesting that there are other ways to get the same results as a plank that are less strenuous on the body.

Doing some sort of exercise like the plank is better than doing nothing.

Randell asked what I do and only glad to share. 

I have been doing the functional plank and yes squats with correct technique  

The functional plank is just flipping the plank upright!

I am putting a video together this weekend on you tube and will share the link with you all   

So many people are planking and asking about the plank. 

Appreciate all your comments and feedback. 

I am always keen to learn and by no means have all the answers!

Here are a few concerns I have about the plank

1. It is not functional, not a position you are hardly ever in. 

2. Strenuous on the major joints, knee, shoulder, neck and back even in good form. 

3. There is no sequence or muscle pattern just every single muscle in your body is firing to maintain this horizontal brace position! 

4. If you have poor posture trying to get into what's called neutral spine actually overworks the muscles in your spine to try achiev this and now you get into this horizontal brace position. 

Your body braces for impact not for exercise! 

Hey guys

I help patients recover from spinal fusions and other joint operations and get back on to the golf course. 

What I am suggesting that there are other ways to get the same results as a plank that are less strenuous on the body.

I am putting a video together this weekend on you tube and will share the link with you all   

2. Strenuous on the major joints, knee, shoulder, neck and back even in good form. 

3. There is no sequence or muscle pattern just every single muscle in your body is firing to maintain this horizontal brace position! 

4. If you have poor posture trying to get into what's called neutral spine actually overworks the muscles in your spine to try achiev this and now you get into this horizontal brace position. 

Most of us do a plank as part of a greater workout. I do a lot of other core exercises including squats and medicine ball work, resistance band work, etc. Many of it is set up to simulate parts of the golf swing. I guess what folks were questioning was whether you felt the plank could cause injury. I don't think it is a waste of time when combined with other exercises.

The plank is just an isolation exercise. We isolate the muscle or group from the rest of our body and work that. Many of my physical therapy exercises do this. We don't use the full squat position in any sport except maybe a baseball catcher or sumo wrestling and yet the full squat is considered a good exercise. Many other core exercises really don't simulate sports moves but are intended to isolate muscle groups.

I don't see a problem with the plank for these reasons.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Hey guys

I have a hard time seeing how a plank is more strenuous on the knees than a squat.

Yours is the first opinion I've seen pointing to an isometric exercise as bad for major joints, though I could see some back strain / discomfort with the plank if one had a weak core to start.

Kevin

Note: This thread is 3112 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!