IGNORED

What is your most hated Christmas song?

gregsandiego
Note: This thread is 3056 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

8 hours ago, Rainmaker said:

Sure - this one is far from my favorite but widely available and pretty cool example

Other versions I like are by The Ventures and a group called The Holiday Soul - the track appears on Aaron Neville's Soulful Christmas - it's on Spotify if you have it. 

Yeah I don't hear the chord progressions but pretty cool cover. I can see myself drinking a brandy by the fireplace,  after a nice Christmas party, chilling to this one...

I use old Taylor Made clubs from eBay and golf shops.

2 hours ago, gregsandiego said:

Yeah I don't hear the chord progressions but pretty cool cover. I can see myself drinking a brandy by the fireplace,  after a nice Christmas party, chilling to this one...

Dude - that's an awIesome chord progression, in my opinion.  The standard version of the verse is:

I IV I IV I V7 I.   It is commonly embellished like:

I IV7 IV I IV I V7 I  - to give it a more funky vibe 

Then "thumpity thump thump" part is a deceptively funky I V

It can be played straight up - ie - as a the standard holiday tune - it can be played in a variety of jazz styles, funk styles . .even country styles, etc. It really lends itself to a wide variety of interpretations.   

Then again . .it's just some chords . . to each his own . .but I've always enjoyed playing and listening to this song.  I like the rhythm of how the chords fall on the beats - the long I and the short IV, etc.

In High School Jazz ensemble - Frosty the Snowman was always my favorite holiday tune. 

Missed the time window to edit!  I wanted to add some examples:

Fats Domino

and

Ella Fitzgerald

and

The Ronnettes

Sorry for the diversion . .back to terrible Christmas songs .. although I really think we nailed it with the OP. 

6 hours ago, Rainmaker said:

Missed the time window to edit!  I wanted to add some examples:

Fats Domino

and

Ella Fitzgerald

and

The Ronnettes

Sorry for the diversion . .back to terrible Christmas songs .. although I really think we nailed it with the OP. 

These are great Christmas songs. Post more in the "What are you listening to" thread.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I change the channel for most carols, but what I can't hear enough of is Cheech and Chong's parody on Santa Claus. A classic that makes me laugh every time I hear it. Yeah, yeah... I know it's not really a song. ;-)

Dave

I have avoided reading this thread to stop the ear worm epidemic it causes!

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

On 12/3/2015, 9:40:35, Rainmaker said:

Speaking of cool Christmas songs . .Frosty The Snowman features an awesome chord progression - lots of great covers. 

James Brown's Soulful Christmas is another great one. 

Just Like Christmas, by Low . .is probably my all-time favorite. 

"It was just like Christmas" is really cool. Thanks for posting and reminding me. One of my kids downloaded it several years back and it brings back memories...

On 12/5/2015, 5:43:08, nevets88 said:

These are great Christmas songs. Post more in the "What are you listening to" thread.

I like the Ella version. it seems one of her strengths was taking simple tunes and embellishing the hell out of them.

Just a side note about the ear worm inducing music. There is in Niagara on the Lake, an all year every day Christmas store. I know they have one in North Pole New York  and  Bronners in Frankenmuth Michigan as well. The MUZAK playing in the background drove me nuts just in the few minutes I allocated to standing there while my wife hummed and hawed over some triviality we didn't require.  I asked the clerk and she said she no longer hears it. but that she could not get excited about Christmas either.  She probably has a case for Workman's Comp but anyway, just be aware and avoid if you can.

2 hours ago, gatsby47 said:

Just a side note about the ear worm inducing music. There is in Niagara on the Lake, an all year every day Christmas store. I know they have one in North Pole New York  and  Bronners in Frankenmuth Michigan as well. The MUZAK playing in the background drove me nuts just in the few minutes I allocated to standing there while my wife hummed and hawed over some triviality we didn't require.  I asked the clerk and she said she no longer hears it. but that she could not get excited about Christmas either.  She probably has a case for Workman's Comp but anyway, just be aware and avoid if you can.

At Universal Studios (Diagon Alley/Harry Potter area), there was a novelty shop I popped into a few times (over a couple day visit) while waiting for the kids to finish their rides. Two or three times I heard a song that my dad played for me lots when I grew up: Lily the Pink. "We'll drink, a drink, a drink to Lily the Pink, the Pink, the Pink- savior ooooooooooof the human ra-hay-hayce" I asked the lady how she could stand hearing these songs looping, and she said she didn't even hear them anymore. She didn't even remember the Lily the Pink song, which had literally just played- when I told her I remembered that chorus from childhood. She looked like I was nuts, and went back to her job.

Just be glad Lily the Pink is not a Christmas song.

My Swing

Driver: :ping: G30, Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0, Putter: :cleveland:, Balls: :snell:

This is not as bad as Christmas Shoes and it's more of an awful performance vs an awful song . .but here it is in all it's terrible glory - Bob Dylan mumbles his way through Here Comes Santa Claus - apparently from the bottom of a well.

Edited by Rainmaker

I am not sure I "like" any Christmas song ... I like this time of year, but I will stick to Pandora and avoid the radio ... nor do I watch the  Hallmark channel ...

Ken Proud member of the iSuk Golf Association ... Sponsored by roofing companies across the US, Canada, and the UK

12 hours ago, isukgolf said:

I am not sure I "like" any Christmas song ... I like this time of year, but I will stick to Pandora and avoid the radio ... nor do I watch the  Hallmark channel ...

Bah Humbug, dude.  There are so many Christmas songs to like.  I like all of them .. at least certain versions, lol.  And, this time of year, our tv is *permanently* tuned to the Hallmark channel.  My wife is a little bit. .what I like to call . "Jingle Nuts", lol.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/8/2015 at 10:39 AM, Jaymancds said:

Santa Baby drives me insane.

I returned to this thread add one vote for Santa Baby. It was cute maybe the 1st year  (1953 can you believe) it came out? Now every single female singer alive feels obligated to  cover it, usually pretty identically to the original.

Note: This thread is 3056 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!