IGNORED

How cool would a club fitting based upon your Game Golf data be?

Lihu
Note: This thread is 3016 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I wonder if someone can simply take your data (adding your physical attributes as well) and use it to directly give you a club fitting based upon your on course performance?

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

It would certainly be useful information to a knowledgeable fitter. Knowing your actual distances and tendency on where you miss your shots can help them have a better understanding of what actually goes on with your game vs just hitting balls into a net. In conjunction with your data from a launch monitor I imagine it could only help. Great idea though!

1 hour ago, Lihu said:

I wonder if someone can simply take your data (adding your physical attributes as well) and use it to directly give you a club fitting based upon your on course performance?

I doubt Game Golf collects the right amount of data. Maybe it would helps you with yardage gaps. Lets say you don't have the swing speed to hit your long irons at proper gaps. You would see that on Game Golf. Maybe getting a hybrid would help. 

As for knowing which clubs to buy, what lie angle, club length, type of shaft. There is no way Game Golf can tell you that. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

55 minutes ago, saevel25 said:

I doubt Game Golf collects the right amount of data. Maybe it would helps you with yardage gaps. Lets say you don't have the swing speed to hit your long irons at proper gaps. You would see that on Game Golf. Maybe getting a hybrid would help. 

As for knowing which clubs to buy, what lie angle, club length, type of shaft. There is no way Game Golf can tell you that. 

I think this pretty much nails it. I don't see how the information you get from Game Golf would be all that helpful.

Tristan Hilton

My Equipment: 
PXG 0211 Driver (Diamana S+ 60; 10.5°) · PXG 0211 FWs (Diamana S+ 60; 15° and 21°) · PXG 0211 Hybrids (MMT 80; 22°, 25°, and 28°) · PXG 0311P Gen 2 Irons (SteelFiber i95; 7-PW) · Edel Wedges (KBS Hi-Rev; 50°, 55°, 60°) · Edel Classic Blade Putter (32") · Vice Pro or Maxfli Tour · Pinned Prism Rangefinder · Star Grips · Flightscope Mevo · TRUE Linkswear Shoes · Sun Mountain C130S Bag

On my MacBook Pro:
Analyzr Pro

I've used GG to compare the distance of a few drivers, woods, irons and wedges I own or demo.

And, works well comparing various golf balls.

I'm not sure how GG data would help in determining "club fitting" 

Johnny Rocket - Let's Rock and Roll and play some golf !!!

3 hours ago, Club Rat said:

I've used GG to compare the distance of a few drivers, woods, irons and wedges I own or demo.

And, works well comparing various golf balls.

I'm not sure how GG data would help in determining "club fitting" 

Kind of what I was thinking. It can calculate average driver distance. That's a really good start.

i agree with longer irons, though. What if you don't use them for full shots?

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

It wouldn't really be able to give you information such as a required lie angle or shaft flex (though it could approximate a range of flexes that might be appropriate based upon your distance), but it might be able to steer you towards the right category of irons based upon your distance and dispersion. It wouldn't be able to easily choose the stuff for you though.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Lihu said:

What if you don't use them for full shots?

Are you trying to track 3/4 swings with club? Not sure on your thoughts?

When I'm in the testing mode, I'll hit 10 or 12 shots tagging each swing. Then go to each ball and tag the location with a different club. Then upload the round to review, create a note log, I use Excel. Over a few practice sessions, I'll have a nifty average for any club. One cool feature of GG is the "shot dispersion" tracking, simply drag the flag to your target area.

A few notes: I'll practice when the course has no one out playing. (the first tee seldom has golfers early evenings an hour before dark)

And, I'll hit irons to locations on the fairway (no need to hit to greens, you'll spend too much time fixing ball marks)

I also have the luxury belonging to a club, retired and know when the less busy times to utilize the course for practice.

13 minutes ago, Club Rat said:

Are you trying to track 3/4 swings with club? Not sure on your thoughts?

When I'm in the testing mode, I'll hit 10 or 12 shots tagging each swing. Then go to each ball and tag the location with a different club. Then upload the round to review, create a note log, I use Excel. Over a few practice sessions, I'll have a nifty average for any club. One cool feature of GG is the "shot dispersion" tracking, simply drag the flag to your target area.

A few notes: I'll practice when the course has no one out playing. (the first tee seldom has golfers early evenings an hour before dark)

And, I'll hit irons to locations on the fairway (no need to hit to greens, you'll spend too much time fixing ball marks)

I also have the luxury belonging to a club, retired and know when the less busy times to utilize the course for practice.

Those are pretty much what I did during my practice rounds, but then I got complaints here about doing too many practice rounds. It kind of makes sense to do more practice rounds, though. You end up getting a pretty good short game and approach shots by being more relaxed and looser when not under the gun all the time to score well. Then when you are under the gun you have more confidence in your short game shots and approaches.

In regard to the partial swings with longer clubs, sometimes I might just want to hit a low shot but only 130 yards to get under a tree and have it roll onto the green or something. Then I would use a partial swing with my long clubs. However, GG doesn't know that that's my intent. It only knows what I tagged and how far it went. I just don't hit full shots with longer irons all the time, and then GG will report that I hit it more sporadically than I really do (not that it makes all that much difference anyway).

All in all, I'm pretty excited about GG, now and happy that Erik and @Dave2512 nudged me into using it. Now, I'm just trying to see if the data is useful for other things or not? Seems like club fitting could be aided a bit by this data?

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

3 minutes ago, Lihu said:

Seems like club fitting could be aided a bit by this data?

If the data shows your shot dispersion wide right or left, guess you could consider options to club adjustments or consider various shafts.

Are you considering "having new clubs made?"

Most custom club builders utilize Trackman when working with customers. (other than old school guys like me)

1 minute ago, Club Rat said:

If the data shows your shot dispersion wide right or left, guess you could consider options to club adjustments or consider various shafts.

Are you considering "having new clubs made?"

Most custom club builders utilize Trackman when working with customers. (other than old school guys like me)

Yeah, seems like everyone depends upon launch monitors. GC2 mainly because both the cost and space requirements are less.

Guessing you are a club fitter, that's pretty cool!

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

Do you know any area golf reps? They now have great setups for testing.

Example: When we were at Ping, the rep simply changed weights, shafts to achieve different results. I simply told him I wanted to hit it higher or lower or fade, etc.

Of course Ping had the complete setup, local reps will have a variety but would need to special order optional items. 

17 minutes ago, Club Rat said:

Do you know any area golf reps? They now have great setups for testing.

Example: When we were at Ping, the rep simply changed weights, shafts to achieve different results. I simply told him I wanted to hit it higher or lower or fade, etc.

Of course Ping had the complete setup, local reps will have a variety but would need to special order optional items. 

This site is sponsored by Ping, and all my clubs are less than 5 year old Ping products. They still look pretty good, Ping is good.

So, I have older clubs that appear to be a similar fit to the ones recommended by their website based on two points of my GG data. I was also kind of curious if I was missing any information? So, the only data the site asked for was the distance of my drives and the distance of my 7i, which I happily provided from my GG data.

If it was enough information to let me know what club and shaft I should get, I was kind of wondering if more GG data could provide enough for a complete and better tailored fit? Of course, you need to also provide your physical attributes as I mentioned in the OP.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

13 hours ago, Lihu said:

If it was enough information to let me know what club and shaft I should get

Yes it could certainly be a good starting point on considering a shaft selection, but selecting the club head leaves many variables for the player to determine.

13 hours ago, Lihu said:

I was kind of wondering if more GG data could provide enough for a complete and better tailored fit?

It would if you are satisfied with the current clubs your using. But if you are looking for making a total change based on finding a different feel, shot shape, swing weight, shaft stiffness, flex, then the data only provides a starting point to consider.

I guess you could say building a "better tailored fit" using GG data as a manner to fine tune the final product, but not as the only basis.

I suggest a trip to Phoenix to the Ping Campus. I recall they offer free fitting on a walk in basis, or maybe Mike or Erik could arrange an appointment to be fitted.

1 hour ago, Club Rat said:

Yes it could certainly be a good starting point on considering a shaft selection, but selecting the club head leaves many variables for the player to determine.

It would if you are satisfied with the current clubs your using. But if you are looking for making a total change based on finding a different feel, shot shape, swing weight, shaft stiffness, flex, then the data only provides a starting point to consider.

I guess you could say building a "better tailored fit" using GG data as a manner to fine tune the final product, but not as the only basis.

I suggest a trip to Phoenix to the Ping Campus. I recall they offer free fitting on a walk in basis, or maybe Mike or Erik could arrange an appointment to be fitted.

This sounds cool. Maybe the next time I go to AZ I can get free fittings for me and my family?

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

If I go to the Callaway web site and enter my GG data for iron selection I should use XS shaft. What that doesn't take into account is that I forward press which delofts the club head and adds carry yards. No way should I use an XS. I play a R shaft.

You really need to be custom fit based up on real data.

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

If your numbers are funky I wouldn't go chasing an equipment fix its time for a lesson. I struggled with driver in 2015. I used four different drivers with almost identical results. Using the improved GG shots gained analysis it's obvious that is my weakness, all my other stats show me to be better than average for my handicap. A new driver won't fix anything, I have been fit, I need some guidance to figure it out.. 

Dave :-)

First, you would have to do some planning on which rounds you selected. You might take your last seven rounds, and...

• Throw out the rounds with both the high and low HDCP differential; the high and low likely would be outliers, performances outside your normal limits.
  • Then, you would have to sort all the 5i shots, 8i shots,, 4H shots, driver shots, etc., to learn your tendencies with each club.
  • Once you have done this... I'm not sure what it would tell you.:-O

If you're all over the place with your 5i and your driver, it might suggest a lesson is in order.

I've had one full-bag fitting, and the pro/fitter spent about an hour with me each of two days. We did irons and wedges the first day, and hybrids and FWs the second day. (A separate driver fitting had come earlier.)

Fitters like to isolate different phases of the games for fittings. Your GAME data comparisons might point out your shortcomings from a swing standpoint.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Note: This thread is 3016 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!