IGNORED

Driver: could you play without one?

RichF
Note: This thread is 5970 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I will say no. Maybe when I use the Adams driver i would say yes, but now with the Callaway I feel very comfortable and I hit it in average 270 - 290 yards straight. And with the 3 Wood because I don't use it very much I hit it like 220-230 and I don't feel as confrotable like with my driver.

Regards

Driver: 905R 9.5° (UST Proforce V2 Stiff) | Fairway: 906F2 15° (UST Proforce V2 Stiff) | Hybrid: 585.H 21° (S300) | Irons: AP2 4-PW (Project X 6.0) | Wedges: Vokey Design 52.08, 56.11 & 60.11  | Putter: Studio Select Newport 2 

www.flickr.com/avm_photo

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are you

Well, I'm not

that consistent with the driver, but I am inconsistent enough with the 3 wood that I might as well go ahead and bash the driver anyway. A shorter club off the tee usually means same direction, less distance.
"Shouldn't you be going faster? I mean, you're doing 40 in a 65..."

Driver: Burner TP 9.5*
3 Wood: 906F2 15*
2I: Eye 23I-PW: 3100 I/HWedges: Vokey Spin-Milled 56*06, MP-R 52*07/60*05Putter: Victoria IIBall: Pro V1xCheck out my new blog: Thousand Yard DriveHome Course: Kenton County...

For YEARS I played w only a 3wood. Just in the last 2 have I gone back to a driver. So you, I can play just fine w/o the driver if needed.
I've spent most of my life golfing - the rest I've just wasted.

In my bag todayâ¦.
Driver: 2009 S9-1 10.5
19d Hybrid4-SW:2008 FP 58/10 Mizuno MP T-10Putter: White Hot XG Sabertooth

First, I think Tiger did hit a driver during his 2006 victory at Hoylake. Once, on one day. I think. But you're right, he more or less played without it.

My Uncle went to all 4 days of that Open and he said a lot of people were grumbling that Woods' wasn't blasting off the tee with the driver.

And if you're playing for so much money, you can see why. Mickelson blew the Barclays Scottish Open last year when he got into trouble with the driver. And you look at the official driving stats: Woods - 152nd Mickelson - 181st Els - 179th Stricker - 97th Scott - 160th Mind you, these guys probably don't care where a drive ends up given their recovery shots....
TaylorMade R9 460 9.5°
TaylorMade R9 13°
TaylorMade RAC TP MB 3-PW
TaylorMade RAC TP 54°.10 / 58°.10
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

Okay, what about consistency?

Well the funny thing is im more accurate with my driver than my 3-wood so leaving it out of my bag would add a few strokes to my game

Driver- 9.5 905R
Woods- V-Steel 15*
Hybrid- Rescue Dual 16*
Irons- 3-P Project X 5.5 Wedges- Vokey 54* and 58* Putter- Scotty Ball- Bridgestone B330-S

It all depends on what kind of a day that I'm having. But on a medium length course I can definitely leave my driver in the bag. Frequently I mark my ball distance with my skycaddie and my 3 wood averages about 256yds. I can reach most holes in regulation and benefit from the extra accuracy (for me) that the 3 wood provides. My best round (70) was shot on my local course when I left my driver in my car.
So, I say if using the 3 wood gives you extra confidence off the tee, the rest of your game will benefit from playing from the short grass.
Question: Have any of you ever played with some of the senior citizens of your local course. They can't hit the ball over 225yds but will kick your but because they're always in the fairway..... think about it.

Question: Have any of you ever played with some of the senior citizens of your local course. They can't hit the ball over 225yds but will kick your but because they're always in the fairway..... think about it.

Had that just the other day. Guy was 82 and a part time maintenance guy at the course. He beat the shit out of me even though he barely reached the fairway (150-175 yards) from the white tees but he was in the middle and he made his putts. He shot 42, I 48 with 3 or 4 lost balls. He played with the same scuffed up Titleist for the whole day.

"Shouldn't you be going faster? I mean, you're doing 40 in a 65..."

Driver: Burner TP 9.5*
3 Wood: 906F2 15*
2I: Eye 23I-PW: 3100 I/HWedges: Vokey Spin-Milled 56*06, MP-R 52*07/60*05Putter: Victoria IIBall: Pro V1xCheck out my new blog: Thousand Yard DriveHome Course: Kenton County...

i love my 3 wood. i hit more consistantly and straighter. not much distance lost. in fact sometimes longer than my driver.

i ... can't.... drive.... :(

Launcher 460 10.5° <BB Solution 130 R>
Wishon 949MC 16.5° <SK Fiber Tour Trac 80 R>
3DX DC Ironwood 20°, 23° <UST SR2 R>
MX-23 5-PW <KBS Tour R>
Vokey 250.08, SM54.10, SM58.08 <DG Wedge> Callie 33.75"TLT Series 4MOI matched

Play from the very forward tees and see if your score changes. If your score doesn't change very much then chances are distance isn't whats holding you back.

If you can't hit a 7-8 iron any better then 5-6 iron then what is the point of using a club off the tee that might give your an extra 20 yrds? Most people can hit a 3w better then driver and I am willing to bet they don't lose all that much forward distance when they use 3w instead of driver.

WELL my driver is my most forgiving club, therefore most consistent. It is also the longest, and as i struggle to reach 400 yard par 4s with irons as I only drive about 220-240, i need the driver
Driver Titleist 905R 9.5* (Stiff Prolaunch Blue 65g)
Hybrid: PT 585.H 17 * (Stiff titleist 75g shaft)
Irons: 695.cb 3-9 ( Dynamic Gold S300)
Wedges: 735.CM 47* PW, Vokey 200 series 50.08 Oil Can Vokey Spin Milled 54.10 Tour chrome, Vokey Spin Milled 58.08 Oil canPutter: Wilson Staff Kirk Kurrie #1[CO.....

Yes, I could if the course demands it, but I don´t like
Last weekend I played in a tight par 69 course, with no pars five in the front nine. I left the driver in the bag and made +1.
But I feel much more confident with my driver from the tee rather than my 3 wood.

Hibore XLS 10.5º Yellow Reg
909F3 13º Mitsubishi Diamana Blue Reg
Big Bertha 17º Reg
585.H 21º Graphite 4175 Reg
804.OS 4-9 Graphite 3975 Reg Vokey Spin Milled 48.06 54.14 60.10 Tess G2 35" ProV1XHome course: Ria de Vigo Golf Vigo (SPAIN)

I never could hit a driver until last year. I couldn't count on it going straight OR far.

I could hit the 3-wood ~225 reasonably straight and my 5 wood 210 and almost always in the fairway.

Once I got my swing speed up and a few flaws corrected, I tried a used r7 quad. WOW - I never expected the hype to be true - that good equipment could really deliver on forgiveness! It's nice hitting 250-270 in the fairway! (OK, OK. My swing has improved a lot, but the driver's given me permission to start opening it up!)

Funny, now I don't use my 3 wood off the tee any more, unless I need to count on a higher shot. I'd prefer to choke down slightly on the driver!

In my TM r7 Stand bag:
Driver- r11 10.5° Reg shaft

Fairway wood - r11 3 wood
Hybrids- r11 3, 4 & 5
Irons- M1 6-AW, xft 50, xft 54.12 , xft 60.08°
Still have / love my r7 CGB Max 6-PW, xft 50, xft 54.12, xft 60.08° which I keep in Myrtle Beach, Tommy Armour 855 Putter

• 4 weeks later...
i do so far..............i use a Brassie(3 wood equiv) for BOTH my tee shots and fairway shots...............so far so good
Driver:Louisville Golf Transitional driver(15*)
Wood:Tad Moore/Tom Morris Brassie(14*)
Long IronTad Moore/Tom Morris Cleek(18*)
Long Iron:Tad Moore/Tom Morris Mid Iron(22*)
Approach:Tad Moore OA Hickories Jigger(26*)Approach:Burke T ray Mongrel MashieApproach:Tad Moore OA Hickories Mashie(37*)Short:Geor...

i golf with alot with adluts and teenagers and i see them take driver off of every hole except for par 3s, and i see their ball go every where i hit my driver long but i have a promblem hitting it with accurcy, so i use my three wood a lot and i hit in the middle of the fairway with addequte disatnce, so i think its a great idea to keep the driver at home
In the Bag:

Driver 10.5 r7 460 ti Reax regular shaft
3 Wood 15.5 LD F Speed Aldila NV stiff shaft
Hybrids 19 Tour Burner Rescue Reax stiff shaft. 21 degree torch series saber shaftIrons Sliver Scot 4-pw Rifle 5.0 shaftsSand Wedge 56 Degree Cg10 Black pearl finish 2 dotLob Wedge 60...

Absolutely, I could play without a driver, but mid-iron consistency is the key. I have to play 2+ clubs longer if I use my 3-wood off the tee. So, fewer 9-iron and P/G/S wedge approaches and more 5/6/7/8-iron shots.

Driver: FT-3 Tour 10.5, Grafalloy ProLaunch Blue 75-S
FW: Insight XTD Pro FP400F 14.5, Graphite Design Tour AD YSQ FW Stiff
Hybrids: G10 18 / 21, AWT Stiff
Irons: Steelhead X-14 PS 4-A, DG S300
Wedge: Vokey SM58.12Putter: 35" Studio Design 1.5Ball: B330, Z Star X or AD333, or D2 Feel...

Note: This thread is 5970 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!