IGNORED

What's Your Swing Speed?

Zakko
Note: This thread is 3627 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

No. Ok so your telling me the pros, who have "perfect" swings, should be carrying the ball around 360? Tiger's SS is around 120-130 and I know for a fact he does not carry the ball around 360. Nor 390 for a 130 mph swing. Physics defies your logic, If your hitting down a hill sure, but not on flat land.

they are very good far above wat we do on average but in golf perfection is unattainable and everthing must exactly be perfect if it is the equation works out i didnt come up with it people that study golf for a living did

ss to carry distance is around 2.4 to 2.45 for very well struck shots -

100mph swing will give you 245yards carry

125mph i.e. tiger going flat out will give you 306 yards carry.

if you are getting 3 yards carry for every mph your machine has misread as they do from time to time, discard the info ats it clearly wrong.

For me it really depends on the day. The times I've had my swing speed checked with driver, I've been as high as 108 and as low as 92. It just seems to depend on how loose my swing is that day.
Driver: SQ DYMO STR8-Fit
4 Wood: SQ DYMO
2H (17*), 4H (23*) & 5H (26*): Fli-Hi CLK
Irons (5-6): MX-900; (7-PW): MP-60
Wedges (51/6*): MP-T Chrome; (56/13): MP-R ChromePutter: White Hot XG 2-Ball CSPreferred Ball: e5+/e7+/B330-RXGPS Unit: NEOPush Cart: 2.0

ss to carry distance is around 2.4 to 2.45 for very well struck shots -

I think there is too much talk on carry=to swing speed-

You can have two 100 mph swing speeds and one might give you 245 carry and the other might give you 260. spin rates and ball speed are equally important- The difference of a 1000 rpms and where you hit the ball on the clubface(ball speed)can give you that extra 15 yards- Good players can have spin rates around 2500 rpms and more often hit the ball on the correct place on the club face. Happy new year!

In the bag-

Driver- Ping Anser 9.5  Diamana Ahina
3 Wood-RBZ tour 15
Hybrid-RBZ tour 4 Irons-  Ping I20s 4-GW with soft stepped X100sWedges 58 and 54 SM4s with soft stepped X100s Putter- Ping TR Senita

what i said above was that 100mph will give you 240 yards to 245 yards carry on "A very well struck shot"

optimal spin varies a lot from 1800 rpms to high 3000s depending on chs

launch angle varies from around 8 degrees to 16 degrees depending on chs

100mph swing will not carry a golf ball 260 yards unless its aided by altitude, wind etc

Before I bought my Cobra Speed LD driver at Golf Galaxy, I had no idea what my swing speed was so I got on the simulator and initially tried an R flex Cobra driver. After 15 shots w/ warm-up I was averaging 94mph swing speed and 216 yrds. Chuck (Awesome Dude) @ Golf Galaxy handed me a driver with a stiff flex and after 20 shots average swing speed went up to 99mph and 229 yrds.

The faster my swing speed the less consistent my shots were. So it somewhat affected my average. I feel like a whimp compared to some of the yardage some of the other guys on this board are indicating their yardage are on other non-driver clubs.

Chuck did tell me that I have a pretty good swing speed for somebody new to the game of golf. He was probably just pulling my leg but it worked, because I came home with a Cobra driver that day.
Driver: 08 Speed LD F 10.5*
Hybrids: A3OS Boxer 3H(19*) A3OS Boxer 4H(22*)
Irons: (4-AW) Victory Red Full Cavity Irons
Wedges: VR PW 45*, VR AW 50*, SV Tour Black 56*, SV Tour Black 60*
Putter: Unitized TiempoBag: Sasquatch Tour Stand/Carry Bag (Victory Red/Gray)Shoes: Air Tour SpectatorBalls: D2...

they are very good far above wat we do on average but in golf perfection is unattainable and everthing must exactly be perfect if it is the equation works out i didnt come up with it people that study golf for a living did

Ok so your telling me, that pros can't do it, but you just attested to doing it a couple posts before, so now your saying you can reach "perfect" circumstances and pros can not. Because I'm nearly sure, that Tiger has

NEVER carried it 360 on flat ground at a reasonable altitude.

Ok so your telling me, that pros can't do it, but you just attested to doing it a couple posts before, so now your saying you can reach "perfect" circumstances and pros can not. Because I'm nearly sure, that Tiger has

got lucky for once the normal carrie was around 270 but i suceeded to pull off 312 carry at 104 mph

got lucky for once the normal carrie was around 270 but i suceeded to pull off 312 carry at 104 mph

I highly doubt this, if you got the true 312 carry, what were your stats? I would put all the money in the world against this, or machine error. What was your ball speed for that?

Just a note about the physics of the golf swing. 1/2 MV(2) or kinetic energy is not conserved when hitting a golf ball. Years ago some people thought that increasing velocity by decreasing mass would produce longer drives and iron shots because velocity squared would go up faster than the linear decrease in mass. A better thought is to conserve momentum (mv=mv) before and after impact. Momentum is still complex since there are angular as well as linear components. Momentum is changing all during the swing so little accelerations or decelerations are happening all over the place. That is why we do not have a perfect equation for hitting a golf ball. Rather we use a lot of fitted empirical data. This permits fairly good predictions of actual performance, but not perfect ones.

Think about the shaft for a moment, and how it defects during the swing. Who would think the shaft is kicked forward and down at impact, but it is for normal golf swings. The clubhead leads the shaft at impact, and the lie of the club becomes more upright due to dynamic shaft deflection. Then comes impact and all kinds of energy is transmitted not to just the ball, but also to tendons and muscles in the body, etc. About the only reliable things to discuss scientifically are momentum concepts. The rest is just too complicated.

So, swing speed is a leading indicator for distance but the spin imparted to the ball and its launch angle are also huge factors. The launch monitors have pretty much been optimized to provide a fair approximation of distance and carry, but if you believe a monitor, you must also believe it is calibrated perfectly. This is not always the case.

Nothing hugely enlightening here, so please return to whatever you were doing.

RC

My swing speed is around 100 to 110 with my driver. (85-95 with my 5 iron)

Your numbers validate mine. My swing speed is a little lower, so my carry is a little lower. But, the roughly 2.2:1 ratio of swing speed to carry is the same. I'm around 96mph, so i only carry it 210 to 215, but i'm a low trajectory, low spin hitter. So, i get more run than most folks. I probably get 35 to 40 yards of run, so i can still hit it around 250'ish.

So, comparatively we're similar. You just swing a little faster than me. GAC

What's In My Bag?
Taylor Made RBZ Driver
Nike Ignite 3 Wood

Taylor Made Burner 5 Wood
Cleveland QuadPro 3 Iron Hybrid
Mizuno MX-200 4 Through WedgeMizuno MP Series Gap and Sand Wedges

Odyssey XG7 Putter

I'm extremely "unfussy" about balls. I'll play anything white and round!  I''ll even play the colors i find.

i have a low to mid 90's avg ss... any time i crank above that... ball flight tends to get out of control... sometimes slicing... sometimes a good pull hook... but if i stick to my avg... i drive it where i need it to go
RUSS's avg drive - 230yrds and climbing

I highly doubt this, if you got the true 312 carry, what were your stats? I would put all the money in the world against this, or machine error. What was your ball speed for that?

in the 170mph range

Don't have a range nearby to measure but the last time I was on such a machine, my driver average was 100mph.

Driver SQ Sumo 5000
3 Wood TBD
Hybrid 1 and 2
Irons R7 TP 3-SW
Putter 2-ballBalls Pro V1The cart in my AV is an 86 G2 that I refurbished and painted in Spring 08.

• 4 weeks later...
103.1 ss 147.3 ball speed can some one caculate or tell me how to caculate my contact icas said something about 1.4 being mediorce does this simply mean my my ball speed divde by my ss ie 147.3 divied by 103.1 =1.42

driver. taylormade tour burner tp ust avixcore tour green 75 x
3 wood 909 f3 13* voodo xnv8
3 hybrid adams idea pro vs proto 95x
irons 3 no 4 5-pw nike cci forged blades
gap wedge nike sv tour blacksand wedge cg14 56* 14flopadopolous vokey spin milled 64 7putter scotty cameron classics newport...

103.1 ss 147.3 ball speed can some one caculate or tell me how to caculate my contact icas said something about 1.4 being mediorce does this simply mean my my ball speed divde by my ss ie 147.3 divied by 103.1 =1.42

Yup. But it's 1.43 if you round up.

Note: This thread is 3627 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!