IGNORED

Charleston South Carolina

Jakester23
Note: This thread is 2670 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Im heading down to Charleston this summer for a wedding and Im hoping to get out and play once maybe twice if the wife lets me. I was wondering if anyone has advice on what courses to play.  I know the Oceans course is close and looks sweet but Im not sure Ill be able to get anyone to drop that kinda of money.  Any advice would be great.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Links at Stono Ferry, Patriots Point. Both are good courses with scenic views. Stono is south of Charleston. PP is in Mt. Pleasant, just across the harbor from Charleston.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, caniac6 said:

Links at Stono Ferry, Patriots Point. Both are good courses with scenic views. Stono is south of Charleston. PP is in Mt. Pleasant, just across the harbor from Charleston.

Thanks for the response.  Have you played any of the Kiawah Island courses besides the oceans? 

• Administrator

I've played several of them @Jakester23.

Look for the Kiawah Island trip info on the main blog.

http://thesandtrap.com/b/pga/a_vacation_on_kiawah_island

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

27 minutes ago, iacas said:

I've played several of them @Jakester23.

Look for the Kiawah Island trip info on the main blog.

http://thesandtrap.com/b/pga/a_vacation_on_kiawah_island

Great review Erik thanks.  So if you were advising a fellow golf enthusiast would you suggest to just spend the extra money and play the Oceans course?

I've played a couple at Kiawah, but not the Ocean Course.  A similar distance to the other side of town, you can find two good courses at the Wild Dunes resort.  I also played at the Rivertowne CC course in Mt Pleasant, and thought it was great.

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

• Administrator
11 hours ago, Jakester23 said:

Great review Erik thanks.  So if you were advising a fellow golf enthusiast would you suggest to just spend the extra money and play the Oceans course?

I… can't tell you. It's about 45 minutes away from Charleston. It'll run you, what, $300+ with the caddie? I can't make value judgments for people. I enjoyed it, and would play it a second time, but… I also played it not long BEFORE the PGA Championship.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

1 hour ago, DaveP043 said:

I've played a couple at Kiawah, but not the Ocean Course.  A similar distance to the other side of town, you can find two good courses at the Wild Dunes resort.  I also played at the Rivertowne CC course in Mt Pleasant, and thought it was great.

Thanks Dave.  I was looking at wild Dunes as well but their website isn't very informative. Can you take carts at wild dunes? 

1 hour ago, iacas said:

I… can't tell you. It's about 45 minutes away from Charleston. It'll run you, what, $300+ with the caddie? I can't make value judgments for people. I enjoyed it, and would play it a second time, but… I also played it not long BEFORE the PGA Championship.

I haven't played anything of that caliber I guess you could say so I don't really know if a course is "worth it". I don't mind spending the money I was just wondering if your thoughts. You have played way more quality courses than I have.

As I remember, I was in a cart when I played there.  If you go out to Wild Dunes, you might want to stop on the way back at Poe's Tavern on Sullivans Island for really good burgers and fish tacos, and a nice selection of beers.

• Upvote 1

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

In Kiawah, if you can arrange it (meaning, find a member of Kiawah Island Club, which actually has a lot of out of town members, to get you on), definitely play the Cassique or River Courses. IMO they are the best on the island, but exclusive (naturally) and you have to use a caddy. A one-time experience but worth it if you can swing it. The other courses on the island are all worth playing if you are there, though not necessarily making a long trip from Charleston by themselves (other than Ocean, see below), except that Oak Point (the course just off the island) is not worth it; it's not at all like the online visuals.  Personally I would spring for the Ocean Course if possible, while not spectacular in the manner of a Pebble, it's still very good and also has the allure of knowing you are playing a PGA championship track, plus the facilities are fabulous. Don't worry about it being too difficult for your handicap, as long as you're not playing from the tips, it's not (though it is a challenge in places).

Wild Dunes definitely had carts some years ago and is much more accessible to Charleston than Kiawah, if time is an issue. I think I also remember playing Dunes West, which was not bad, though my memory is foggy and I don't know the current course condition.  

You have a lot of fun options and can't really go wrong

Edited by Calvin

10 hours ago, Calvin said:

In Kiawah, if you can arrange it (meaning, find a member of Kiawah Island Club, which actually has a lot of out of town members, to get you on), definitely play the Cassique or River Courses. IMO they are the best on the island, but exclusive (naturally) and you have to use a caddy. A one-time experience but worth it if you can swing it. The other courses on the island are all worth playing if you are there, though not necessarily making a long trip from Charleston by themselves (other than Ocean, see below), except that Oak Point (the course just off the island) is not worth it; it's not at all like the online visuals.  Personally I would spring for the Ocean Course if possible, while not spectacular in the manner of a Pebble, it's still very good and also has the allure of knowing you are playing a PGA championship track, plus the facilities are fabulous. Don't worry about it being too difficult for your handicap, as long as you're not playing from the tips, it's not (though it is a challenge in places).

Wild Dunes definitely had carts some years ago and is much more accessible to Charleston than Kiawah, if time is an issue. I think I also remember playing Dunes West, which was not bad, though my memory is foggy and I don't know the current course condition.  

You have a lot of fun options and can't really go wrong

Thanks for the suggestions.  I was hoping to spring for the oceans course.  One other issue I might have is some other members of the family like to play as well.  I don't know if they want to drop $300-$400 to play though.  

Tons of great golf in Charleston, as others have mentioned.  IMO there are plenty of great courses under $100, but no true "legendary" courses that would warrant a $350+ price tag.  There are, however, some legendary eating establishments.  I'd pick a $100 golf course and a very, very good "spare no expense" meal at Husk, Charleston Grill, etc. 

(But obviously that's not the question you asked.)

Kevin

Titleist 910 D3 9.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Titleist 910F 13.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Adams Idea A12 Pro hybrid 18*; 23* with RIP S flex
Titleist 712 AP2 4-9 iron with KBS C-Taper, S+ flex
Titleist Vokey SM wedges 48*, 52*, 58*
Odyssey White Hot 2-ball mallet, center shaft, 34"

On Tuesday, February 23, 2016 at 3:36 PM, k-troop said:

Tons of great golf in Charleston, as others have mentioned.  IMO there are plenty of great courses under $100, but no true "legendary" courses that would warrant a $350+ price tag.  There are, however, some legendary eating establishments.  I'd pick a $100 golf course and a very, very good "spare no expense" meal at Husk, Charleston Grill, etc. 

(But obviously that's not the question you asked.)

So in your opinion the oceans ain't worth the price tag? Any courses you recommend?

2 minutes ago, Jakester23 said:

So in your opinion the oceans ain't worth the price tag? Any courses you recommend?

IMO Charleston isn't a Golf destination as much as it is a Food & History destination.  There are good courses there (obviously Kiawah Ocean topping the list), but IMO it's not $300 better than (for example) Charleston National, which is a very good Rees Jones course you can play for $60.  Plus it'll only take you 15 minutes to get to CN from the Historic District, leaving time to stop at Fort Moultrie and spend an hour after the round.  (Not very many places in the US where you can see a still-standing Fort that saw action in the Revolutionary and Civil Wars.)  And, since you've spent less than $100 on your day so far, you feel no guilt whatsoever dropping $200 for a dining experience that is truly unique and memorable.  And you still haven't reached the cost of a single greens fee at Kiawah Ocean (fugheddabout the caddy, tip, lunch, etc.).

So for me it's not just about "is the fee at Kiawah worth it" so much as what else I could do with that day for the same amount of cash.

• Upvote 1

Kevin

Titleist 910 D3 9.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Titleist 910F 13.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Adams Idea A12 Pro hybrid 18*; 23* with RIP S flex
Titleist 712 AP2 4-9 iron with KBS C-Taper, S+ flex
Titleist Vokey SM wedges 48*, 52*, 58*
Odyssey White Hot 2-ball mallet, center shaft, 34"

4 hours ago, k-troop said:

IMO Charleston isn't a Golf destination as much as it is a Food & History destination.  There are good courses there (obviously Kiawah Ocean topping the list), but IMO it's not $300 better than (for example) Charleston National, which is a very good Rees Jones course you can play for $60.  Plus it'll only take you 15 minutes to get to CN from the Historic District, leaving time to stop at Fort Moultrie and spend an hour after the round.  (Not very many places in the US where you can see a still-standing Fort that saw action in the Revolutionary and Civil Wars.)  And, since you've spent less than $100 on your day so far, you feel no guilt whatsoever dropping $200 for a dining experience that is truly unique and memorable.  And you still haven't reached the cost of a single greens fee at Kiawah Ocean (fugheddabout the caddy, tip, lunch, etc.).

So for me it's not just about "is the fee at Kiawah worth it" so much as what else I could do with that day for the same amount of cash.

Awesome. I appreciate it. We're going to have a day to ourselves so I'll definitely check out the historical district. I also like the idea of taking the boss to a nice dinner. This is our 1st trip since our wedding so I'd like to spoil her a bit.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I came on here to recommend Stono Ferry as well.  I've played a lot of golf around Charleston, but not Kiawah and not the private courses.  Stono Ferry is my favorite course down that way.

Charleston National is also pretty solid, and can be really tough if the wind is blowing, but sometimes is a bit over-priced.  IMO, Patriot's Point isn't worth it.  Wild Dunes is great, and rounds there are in the $100-range. 

Enjoy your trip, Charleston is a terrific city.  Some posters above have pointed out some great places to check out.  I HIGHLY recommend Poe's Tavern and the Sullivan's Island area in general for grabbing a beer, some good food, and hitting the beach.  Folly is the more popular beach, but it gets packed to the gills.  Then you have the world-class Beachwalker Park on Kiawah that anyone can go to.

• 3 weeks later...
On April 26, 2016 at 1:12 PM, tigerrag said:

I came on here to recommend Stono Ferry as well.  I've played a lot of golf around Charleston, but not Kiawah and not the private courses.  Stono Ferry is my favorite course down that way.

Charleston National is also pretty solid, and can be really tough if the wind is blowing, but sometimes is a bit over-priced.  IMO, Patriot's Point isn't worth it.  Wild Dunes is great, and rounds there are in the $100-range. 

Enjoy your trip, Charleston is a terrific city.  Some posters above have pointed out some great places to check out.  I HIGHLY recommend Poe's Tavern and the Sullivan's Island area in general for grabbing a beer, some good food, and hitting the beach.  Folly is the more popular beach, but it gets packed to the gills.  Then you have the world-class Beachwalker Park on Kiawah that anyone can go to.

Thanks for the reply.  We are actually staying acrossed the street for the weekend from Folly so I think we will spend a day out there since we can walk back to our condo.    My wife and I didn't get a honeymoon and this is our 1st trip since we got married so we made a reservation at Halls Chop house. We have a day and a half maybe 2 in Charleston to ourselves then the whole family will be in town.   Is there any cool bars or restaurant near Folly we should check out?

Note: This thread is 2670 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!