IGNORED

What golf tip was helpful in lowering your golf score and you would like to share?

ks8829
Note: This thread is 5996 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Don't hit the hero shot. I'm a very-very-high handicapper, and so I need to tell myself this a lot. I end up behind a lot of trees, and deep in rough, and need to remember to just get to a safer spot and then go for it.

For us high handicappers -- Ain't that the truth. Though I've tried numerous times, I don't think I've ever hit a "hero shot." Ever.

E.g. Par 5, I hit my second shot into the trees/road. Ball is lost, so I take a drop, and am already hitting my 5th shot at about 300 yards away. So I try to bomb one with a slight draw (who am I kidding?) and it hooks into the same trees/road farther along. I finished with 11 strokes on that hole, but had a beautiful 190 yard approach shot. Hey, 1 out of 11 ain't bad. lol

I was fliping through the new Golf Digest when I got to Butch Harmon's tip for fixing a slice. My last couple rounds had several bannana balls. Even my playing partenr commented on how I had not been hitting them like that all year. He talked about making sure your hands aren't lagging behind your hips at impact. It was a simple tip that served more to make me more aware than anything else. My first two drives were long and straight. I really only hit one bad one all day. That was due to me swinging before I was really ready. I knew I should have backed away, but went anyway.
Driver: 9.5° 905R Stiff Aldila NV 65
3 Wood: 15.° Pro Trajectory 906F4 Stiff Aldila VS Proto Blue
Hybrid: 19.0° 503 H Stiff Dynamic Gold S400
Hybrid: 21.0° Edge C.F.T. Ti Stiff Aldila NVS
Irons: 775cb 4-GW w/S300 Sand Wedge: Vokey 58° Puttter: Laguna Mid-Slant Pro PlatinumBall: ProV1Bag: Li...

Putt for distance control and you will most often 2 putt.

Titleist 910 D2 9.5 Driver
Titleist 910 F15 & 21 degree fairway wood
Titleist 910 hybrid 24 degree
Mizuno Mp33 5 - PW
52/1056/1160/5

"Yonex ADX Blade putter, odyssey two ball blade putter, both  33"

ProV-1

Some of the best advice I've received has been from a real pro. He told me that I should always play from green to tee. Never waiver from that mentality. His second and most important tip was alignment. Many of us set up with our feet first. Then we lay down the club and swing away. He told me this was completely wrong. His advice was to pick a spot where I wanted the ball to land. Then, draw a straight line from the ball to that spot. Pick a spot, two feet in front of the ball, on that line, and line up my iron. Then align the rest of the body. Most significant to me was placing my right eye above my right foot. What did this do? It put me behind the ball, left shoulder slightly higher than right and allowed for me to have more torque. This have shaved six to seven strokes.

I've also received a drill that assists in creating lag from our very own LEEK. This involves hitting a ball two feet in front. This has helped me gain some distance on my irons.

As for a putting drill, putt with your eyes closed. This helps you "trust" your line. Also, try walking from ball to hole, blindfolded or eyes closed, and see how close you get. This helps with distance control.

Titleist 905T Accra SC75 M4 Shaft

Nike SQ 4W Accra T70 M4 Shaft
HB001 17* Hybrid with Mitsubishi Diamana Thump X Stiff Flex
Baffler Pro 20* Accra Axiv 105 Tour Hybrid Shaft

Taylor Made 24* Burner Accra Axiv 105 Tour Hybrid Shaft

Mizuno MP-32 5-PW Black Oxide Finish Project X 6.0 Shafts

Vokey 52* Oil Can Finish TTDG S400 Shaft

Cleveland 588 60* TTDG S400 Shaft

Rife Bimini Blade Putter

Ball-White and Round

Do you have any specific short game and putting drills you could share with us? My chipping is pretty good, but obviously could always be better, but my putting is pretty poor. I usually have a couple of 3 putts per round...which drives me totally crazy...lol. :)

Something that helped me was spending a few days on chipping, where I would not leave the chipping area until I had chipped in twice. In addition to the ability to remember a time I chipped in, I also got plenty close in the process. I believe that has helped me tremendously, especially with the quantity of greens I miss.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Here's some good and bad advice I have received over the years.

- bad - you should aim at the object you want to miss; this is a excellent way to have a ball coming right back at you 100 miles an hour.

- good - for every shot, find an aiming spot you can see clearly when you are looking down at the ball and holding your head still

- bad - swing as hard as you can and hit it as hard as you can and work on your control later (Tiger Woods father),

- good - a well-controlled moderate swing and a hit in the sweet spot will produce the best combination of distance and line

- bad - don't think about what you are doing

-good - consciously trying to tuck your right elbow into your right side on your downswing will eliminate a slice

- good- using a weighted club, practice full speed swings and try not to release your wrist cock until forced to by the club - watch your distance go up - most of what pros call great timing is a very late release of the wrist cock (requires more clubhead speed from the wrist snap to square up before hitting the ball).

2007 Yamaha Cart
TaylorMade R7 460 Superquad Driver, 10.5, Reg flex (RF)
Taylormade R7 Titanium 3,5 & 7 Fairway woods RF
PING Rapture irons 4-9, PW, UW, SW, graphite RF
Odyssey White Hot Two Ball putter Ping Cart Bag, Pioneer in Atomic OrangeNow playing Titleist Pro V1x balls

never second guess yourself
Driver - TaylorMade R9 460 10.5°
3 Wood - TaylotMade Burner Tour
3 & 4 Hybrids - Adams a7
Irons - R7 tp 5-PW
Wedges - Vokey SM Black Nickel - 52º - 56º - 60ºPutter - Scotty Cameron California - SonomaSkyCaddie - SG4Lowest Round - 68 - Par 72 /67.6/120Lowest Tournament Round - 69 -...

The tip that changed my golfing life came from David Leadbetter's Interactive DVD series. It may seem like common sense but I was always leaving my clubface shut at the top of my swing (caused by my bent wrist) causing a slice. I worked on it for a couple weeks and I've straightened out my drives considerably. My handicap went from a high teen to a 9.6 simply because my drives were in the fairway. It also greatly improved my long iron and 3 wood play..... Thanks DL
In My Bag:

Driver: 9.5° FT-i LCG
3-wood: 15° X Tour
Hybrid: 18° FT HybridHybrid: 23° Baffler ProIrons: X-20 Tour 5-9Wedges: CG 12 Black Pearl 46/50/56/60Putter: 32" X3Ball: TP BlackHome Course: Blackmoor Golf Club (136/71.2)

Albatroz

I got the Project X Flighted 5.0 with my set of X-20 Tour irons... LOVE 'EM I have a driver swing speed of about 95 mph
In My Bag:

Driver: 9.5° FT-i LCG
3-wood: 15° X Tour
Hybrid: 18° FT HybridHybrid: 23° Baffler ProIrons: X-20 Tour 5-9Wedges: CG 12 Black Pearl 46/50/56/60Putter: 32" X3Ball: TP BlackHome Course: Blackmoor Golf Club (136/71.2)

course management . when you play a course for the first time bring a pen and small booklet . write down the yardage , course construction layout, hazards and all those facts that would be of help to you . Map out what kind of shot you plan to take for every hole . with the introduction of the range finder and sky caddie use these to give you a safe estimate on where you can drive your ball and what your second shot is gonna be like . if PGA tour pros use these kind of method then it certainly will benifit all golers from different level .

Albatroz

These shafts are above the competion in steel shaft

standard . they help promote faster swing speeds , mid flight patterns , better contol on distance , and can make draws or fades attainable ( with proper practice ) . they are kind of expensive but for the technology they bring to the game it is well worth the investment . you may change clubs often but stick to these as they go a long way .

Accelaration is the key to a good golf swing. You have to accelerate through the impact zone on every shot, driver, irons, wedges, chips, putter, it doesn't matter. I was playing with a new member at our course once and he asked me for a tip, and thats what I said. He still thanks me for telling 6 months later...
In My Bag:
Driver: 905R 9.5°, UST ProForce v2 Stiff
3 Wood: 906F2, 15°, UST ProForce V2 Stiff
Hybrid: Rescue Dual TP, 19°, Mitsubishi Diamana Stiff
Irons: 735CM, 3-PW, DG S300Gap Wedge: CG12 52Sand Wedge: CG12 56Lob Wedge: Spin-Milled Vokey Oil Can 60.04Putter: 35"/330g Newport 2

Stay balanced!

Driver: 10.5* SuperQuad TP 1st Edition All Black V2 Stiff
5 Wood - 585.h 19* DG S300
Irons: 3-PW S59 Stiff
Wedges: Rac TP 52*, 60* MP-T 56*
Putter(s): Anser 3 TP Black ballGET TO SINGLE DIGITS!Goal: Beat a certain admin that lives in my town

short game short game short game short game short game short game short game short game short game short game short game short game short game Driver short game short game short game irons short game short game short game irons short game short game short game driver short game short game short game short game short game

So far, my biggest improvement has come I think with changing my grip from something terrible to the Vardon grip taught by Ben Hogan in his 5 lessons (which I am currently reading and applying). That immediately turned me from a big slicer to generally drawing the ball slightly (but to be fair I still have my share of big slices & hooks).

Since I've gotten the book about 3 months ago, I've probably shaved 10 real strokes off my game, and I by no means feel comfortable with all the changes yet so there is still tons of room to improve.

Driver: Callaway X460 Tour
3 Wood: Callaway X
Hybrid: Adams A3
Irons: X20 Tour 4-PW
Wedges: X-Forged 50, 54 & 58

High handicappers: Focus on hitting the ball solidly and fairly straight. learn to pitch up and two-putt every time with your wedges.
Mid handicappers: Learn to hit your driver straighter and work on your short game and short putting.
Low handicappers: work on your 10 to 15 footers and chipping and sand game.
Scratch golfers: Don't be too conservative. Pick and choose when to take your chances. Play for easy 4's on the par-5's. (Don't play for 3's)

Author of "Striking It Rich: Golf in the Kingdom with Generals, Patients and Pros"
www.reidsheftall.com

Note: This thread is 5996 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!