IGNORED

How often do you switch balls?

KIDDEREK
Note: This thread is 5893 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. I change my ball every

• NEVER!!!!!
    • only if there's excessive dirt/scratches
    • hole
    • 2-3 holes
    • 4-6 holes
    • 7+ holes

How frequently do you change your ball?

I recently played where there were no ball cleaners and had a pretty difficult time trying to rub the dirt off. How often do you switch balls?

I think it's a badge of honor to play one ball for the entire round, but sometimes the ball does get nicked up pretty good.

In tournament play at least every 9 holes. It depends on what the ball looks like. I spin the ball quite a bit so I do a good job chewing up golf balls. I have used as many as 5 balls in a round during the club championship this year to make sure I always had a good ball in play. Those 5 balls got recycled though, each got another casual 18 on them before they retired.

In casual rounds I try to make the ball last 18 holes. I play ProV1x's, and I'm not made of money so I can't see pulling out a pearl every hole like the big boys do.

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I do not believe all golf balls are manufactured equally well; not even the balls in the same sleeve or box. I often play with the same ball for an entire round and may use a ball washer only once or twice.

Does anything smell worse than the water in a ball washer?

If I hit a poor shot with a new ball and then my second shot with that ball is also poor, I simply throw that ball away. If I do not like a new ball (even if hit well) the rest of the brand new box balls goes into the shag bag.

2007 Yamaha Cart
TaylorMade R7 460 Superquad Driver, 10.5, Reg flex (RF)
Taylormade R7 Titanium 3,5 & 7 Fairway woods RF
PING Rapture irons 4-9, PW, UW, SW, graphite RF
Odyssey White Hot Two Ball putter Ping Cart Bag, Pioneer in Atomic OrangeNow playing Titleist Pro V1x balls

About every five or six holes or so. I beat 'em up pretty good. I'm not sure what I do but I occasionally tear the cover off of it, and the surface of the ball looks like chicken wire, or something. When that happens, I'm pretty much forced to change the ball.

I'm not made of money either - I only play with Pro V1's in serious rounds. Otherwise I'll play with anything.
"Shouldn't you be going faster? I mean, you're doing 40 in a 65..."

Driver: Burner TP 9.5*
3 Wood: 906F2 15*
2I: Eye 23I-PW: 3100 I/HWedges: Vokey Spin-Milled 56*06, MP-R 52*07/60*05Putter: Victoria IIBall: Pro V1xCheck out my new blog: Thousand Yard DriveHome Course: Kenton County...

I can play rounds with one just ball, but I usually only switch during tournament rounds if it is dirty or scuffed up, during a practice round I only change it unless it is EXTREMELY dirty or EXTREMELY scuffed.

Here's what I play:

Titleist 907 D2 10.5* UST ProForce V2 76-S | Titleist 906F4 18.5* Aldila VS Proto "By You" 80-S | Titleist 585H 21* Aldila VS Proto "By You" 80-S | Titleist ZB 4-PW TTDG S300 | Bob Vokey Spin Milled Oil Can 54.10 | Bob Vokey Spin Milled Oil Can 60.08 | Scotty Cameron Red X5 33" |

I voted Never.
First of all, I play Pro V1 reloads and so they are never in peach condition. Then, I lose one before I get the chance to entertain the rich thought of switching a ball.
Maybe in a year from now, I will have the luxury of having this problem.

In the bag:
905R 9.5* Fujikura Speeder S
X 15* Fujikura R
X 19* Fujikura S
4-P MP-14 TT DGS300 53* 588 Gunmetal MP series 56-14 TT wedge MP-R 60-09 Rifle SpinnerDFX Two ball Pro V1

More often than not, I end up switching because my previous ball decided to go into hiding, drown itself or make a nasty right turn into areas as yet unseen by humans. I will normally only take a ball out of play by choice when it gets scuffed or when it is misbehaving. Sunday, I hit a path with my ball en route to a double bogey and it didn't tear it up too badly so I kept playing it. Two holes later I made my third consecutive double and decided that the ball must be angry at me. I simply threw it as far as I could into the woods behind the 8th green. Problem solved. I proceeded to hit a solid drive with the other ball I was carrying in my pocket. I made a good par and now that ball has moved into the top spot in the rotation.
Driver: 9.5° 905R Stiff Aldila NV 65
3 Wood: 15.° Pro Trajectory 906F4 Stiff Aldila VS Proto Blue
Hybrid: 19.0° 503 H Stiff Dynamic Gold S400
Hybrid: 21.0° Edge C.F.T. Ti Stiff Aldila NVS
Irons: 775cb 4-GW w/S300 Sand Wedge: Vokey 58° Puttter: Laguna Mid-Slant Pro PlatinumBall: ProV1Bag: Li...

Assuming I don't lose any balls in a round (it's happened a couple of times), I have to trash my Pro V after every round, sometimes after 9 hopes, as they get shredded! Even though I get them discounted and sometimes free, I still have guilt about chucking a 4 dollar ball regardless of its condition.

Titleist is making an absolute killing selling these things for that price

More often than not, I end up switching because my previous ball decided to go into hiding, drown itself or make a nasty right turn into areas as yet unseen by humans. I will normally only take a ball out of play by choice when it gets scuffed or when it is misbehaving. Sunday, I hit a path with my ball en route to a double bogey and it didn't tear it up too badly so I kept playing it. Two holes later I made my third consecutive double and decided that the ball must be angry at me. I simply threw it as far as I could into the woods behind the 8th green. Problem solved. I proceeded to hit a solid drive with the other ball I was carrying in my pocket. I made a good par and now that ball has moved into the top spot in the rotation.

I pretty much roll exactly like Jeepthrills, including chucking the bad ones into the woods.

Bag: Grom
Driver: HiBore 10.5° Fuji Stiff
3W: V-Steel 15° Graphite Designs YS-6 Stiff
3h-4h: Bobby Jones Stiff
5i-PW: CG4 Steel StiffWedges: 588 DSG RTG 52°, 900 RTG 56° Low bounce, Reg. 588 RTG 60°Putter: Dead CenterBalls: Pro V1 Speed Cart V1Home Courses: Riverdale Dunes / Knolls,...

I only replace a lost ball. Otherwise, it's getting washed every hole. I play with various different balls: Hogan, Nike One Platinum, Titleist D So Lo, Callaway HX Hot that I purchase refurbished, discounted, etc.

Even if I was good enough to play with a ProV1, I can't justify spending $50 for 12 balls.

Titleist 905T Accra SC75 M4 Shaft

Nike SQ 4W Accra T70 M4 Shaft
HB001 17* Hybrid with Mitsubishi Diamana Thump X Stiff Flex
Baffler Pro 20* Accra Axiv 105 Tour Hybrid Shaft

Taylor Made 24* Burner Accra Axiv 105 Tour Hybrid Shaft

Mizuno MP-32 5-PW Black Oxide Finish Project X 6.0 Shafts

Vokey 52* Oil Can Finish TTDG S400 Shaft

Cleveland 588 60* TTDG S400 Shaft

Rife Bimini Blade Putter

Ball-White and Round

I wash after every hole, and usually play it until it's lost. When playing well I go 3 to 4 rounds without losing a ball and I don't see any loss of distance or performance, but when a ball gets scuffed or damaged in any way I go to the bullpen,,lol!

In My Bag:
Driver: :Cobra Amp Cell Pro 9.5*, Stock X-Flex

3 Wood: :Cobra Bio Cell 16*, Stock X-Flex

5 Wood: Cobra Bio Cell 20*, Stock S-Flex
Irons: Bridgestone J40-CB 3-PW, Project-X 6.0

Gap Wedge::Vokey: 52* CNC  

Sand Wedge: :Vokey: 58* CNC  

Putters: Scotty Cameron Newport II 

Ball: Bridgestone 330-S(2014)

I try to only change my ball when I lose it which unfortunately happens about once a round.

23Rounder

Tour Burner 9.5 / RE*AX 60g Stiff
Launcher 13 & 17 Fairway / Fujikura Gold Stiff
MT Pro-C 3-W / DG S300 MP 52.07 Vokey SM58.12 Tracy II, 34" Putter Z-URS or NXT Tour

During tournament play I'll play a new ball each 9 holes unless it has some cartpath rash. For casual rounds I usually start with a new ball with the intent it will last all 18.

However, there are times when a ball must be sacrificed because it refuses to go in the hole. A golfer can only take so many power lips, peek-ins and cellophane bridge putts. After finishing a hole, preferably next to water, send the ball to it's liquid grave with multiple colorful goodbyes and grab a new one. When the eggs in the bag see what happens when they don't obey/perform they WILL try harder, write that down.

Driver: Ping Rapture 9*
3metal: Titleist 904F 15*
Hybrids: Adams Idea 18* and 20*
Irons: Titleist 690CB (4-PW)
Wedgies: Titleist Oil Can 54* and 58*Putter: Ping AllyBall: Pro V1x

I usually change a ball out once it is scuffed or dirty (won't clean). However, I always keep these balls for my shag bag...

TEE - XCG6, 13º, Matrix Ozik HD6.1, stiff
Wilson Staff - Ci11, 3-SW, TX Fligthed, stiff

Odyssey - Metal X #7, 35in

Wilson Staff - FG Tour ball 

Note: This thread is 5893 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!