IGNORED

Whos away?

Papa Steve 55
Note: This thread is 2971 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Interesting ruling during todays final round in the WGC. I wonder how many of us would have got it right?

I'll try and recap. Jason Day pushed a shot wide right of the green. Oosthiuzen then proceeded to dunk one in the drink next to the green. He elected to take a drop about 80 yards back, I assume for a full swing shot. So Day is resting about 20 yards to the right and Oostie is now, after the drop,80 short. Its match play, whos shot is it?

Turns out it was Days. The ruling, if I'm explaining it right, is that Oosties ball came to rest nearer the pin. The fact that he dropped it further back did not change the order of play. Also the fact that it was in water had no bearing.

• Upvote 1

• Administrator

Yeah. If Day holes his shot, or something, Oosthuizen might elect to try to play from the hazard.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

8 hours ago, iacas said:

Yeah. If Day holes his shot, or something, Oosthuizen might elect to try to play from the hazard.

As Oosthuizen had already dropped can he change his mind?

(edited)
1 hour ago, Rulesman said:

As Oosthuizen had already dropped can he change his mind?

Johnny Miller was surprised by the ruling for this reason I thought, but I think he knows deep rules discussions do not make good TV so let it drop. I'm pretty sure I would have failed this if it was on rules quiz.

Edited by Papa Steve 55

The topic was covered at my last PGA/USGA Rules Workshop and David Staebler explained that in match play a player's choice of relief options cannot be used to manipulate the order of play.

"Age improves with wine."

Wishon 919THI 11*
Wishon 925HL 4w
Wishon 335HL 3h & 4h
Wishon 755pc 5i, 6i, 7i, 8i & 9i
Tad Moore 485 PW
Callaway X 54*
Ping G2 Anser C
Callaway SuperSoft
Titleist StaDry
Kangaroo Hillcrest AB

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/28/2016 at 8:37 PM, Papa Steve 55 said:

Interesting ruling during today's final round in the WGC.

Thanks!  Your post inspired me to review the Decisions on the subject.  I learn something new every day.

Brian Kuehn

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 2971 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!