IGNORED

Conor McGregor retires from UFC?

Jeremie Boop
Note: This thread is 2813 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

34 minutes ago, TN94z said:

The Diaz brothers are known for scar tissue which leads to looking like that in most of their fights. Conor is like BJ Penn in that he rarely shows damage. It's hard to judge anything by their post fight faces.

I like both guys so I was glad just to see it go the distance and that it was a good fight.

I understand the scar tissue thing.  The point is, Conor touched him hard right around 100 times to the face then 50 more to the body and legs.  He wasn't running and scar tissue or not, Diaz looked foolish in stating it.

In my Bag: Driver: Titelist 913 D3 9.5 deg. 3W: TaylorMade RBZ 14.5 3H: TaylorMade RBZ 18.5 4I - SW: TaylorMade R7 TP LW: Titelist Vokey 60 Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

3 hours ago, Gunther said:

Yes, I agree, and more importantly, Dana White had it 3-2 MacGregor, lol.

I think it came down to the 2nd round, Conor started strong, Diaz ended strong, which usually wins a round but because there was a knockdown, all 3 judges and many of the experts gave it to Mac.  Interesting that the one judge gave Diaz a 10-8 in the 3rd.

I found it funny that Diaz was crowing about MacGregor running the whole fight when his face looked like raw hamburger.

I wasn't surprised the decision went to McGregor but I still think it was the wrong decision. Conor turned and ran/walked away from Diaz so many times during the fight it was ridiculous and Nate controlled him a large amount of the time while in the clinch/against the cage. Fight statistics also showed Diaz with a higher number of strikes landed as well as more significant strikes landed if I remember correctly. All those things together basically would point you to him being the winner of the fight, yet somehow the judges saw it differently. All that said, it's the risk that fighters run every time they let the fight go to the judges cards. It's not the first time the judges have gotten it wrong and it won't be the last.

3 minutes ago, Gunther said:

I understand the scar tissue thing.  The point is, Conor touched him hard right around 100 times to the face then 50 more to the body and legs.  He wasn't running and scar tissue or not, Diaz looked foolish in stating it.

You say you understand the scar tissue thing, but there are a lot of fights where you'd think one guy was getting beat down because of the bleeding but in reality they are winning. So saying "but look at his face, he obviously lost" isn't at all accurate. Also, if you say he didn't run/walk away from Diaz multiple times during that fight I don't know what fight you were watching.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

14 minutes ago, Jeremie Boop said:

I wasn't surprised the decision went to McGregor but I still think it was the wrong decision. Conor turned and ran/walked away from Diaz so many times during the fight it was ridiculous and Nate controlled him a large amount of the time while in the clinch/against the cage. Fight statistics also showed Diaz with a higher number of strikes landed as well as more significant strikes landed if I remember correctly. All those things together basically would point you to him being the winner of the fight, yet somehow the judges saw it differently. All that said, it's the risk that fighters run every time they let the fight go to the judges cards. It's not the first time the judges have gotten it wrong and it won't be the last.

You say you understand the scar tissue thing, but there are a lot of fights where you'd think one guy was getting beat down because of the bleeding but in reality they are winning. So saying "but look at his face, he obviously lost" isn't at all accurate. Also, if you say he didn't run/walk away from Diaz multiple times during that fight I don't know what fight you were watching.

Couple things:

1.  Pretty hard to land 150 significant strikes when you're running the whole fight.

2.  You don't stand in the pocket and trade punches with a bigger dude.  Evading shots isn't running, it's a strategy.  

I didn't see the fight so your word carries weight, but I didn't hear it from any analysts and I felt Diaz with his hamburger face sounded foolish saying it.  Frustration over the win and his poor striking percentage, although he did land a few more strikes than MacGregor.

In my Bag: Driver: Titelist 913 D3 9.5 deg. 3W: TaylorMade RBZ 14.5 3H: TaylorMade RBZ 18.5 4I - SW: TaylorMade R7 TP LW: Titelist Vokey 60 Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball

1 minute ago, Gunther said:

Couple things:

1.  Pretty hard to land 150 significant strikes when you're running the whole fight.

2.  You don't stand in the pocket and trade punches with a bigger dude.  Evading shots isn't running, it's a strategy.  

I didn't see the fight so your word carries weight, but I didn't hear it from any analysts and I felt Diaz with his hamburger face sounded foolish saying it.  Frustration over the win and his poor striking percentage, although he did land a few more strikes than MacGregor.

Didn't say he ran the whole fight just that he did multiple times.

*funny little compilation of the times he did this*

That's not evading shots, that's running. Just saying :-D

Also, Conor kept looking at the clock. Like a lot. You can see it in a few of these clips and during the fight in some of the clinches against the cage you can see him do it.

• Upvote 1

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

57 minutes ago, Jeremie Boop said:

Also, Conor kept looking at the clock. Like a lot. You can see it in a few of these clips and during the fight in some of the clinches against the cage you can see him do it.

I have not seen the fight yet. That clip makes me wonder why he wasn't at least warned for evading and running. I will say, you can see Diaz get frustrated though so it did have some effect on him no have to see this fight so I can throw my two cents in. 

1 hour ago, Jeremie Boop said:

Based on what I have seen and heard from people that did watch the fight, and a few of them are very knowledgeable in the sport, is that he was trying to get Diaz off his game.  Diaz when he gets pissed or aggravated tends to throw loose shots which leave openings for an uppercut.  Sounds like that is what McGregor was doing.  McGregor landed more significant strikes (by a whopping 2 I know) and it is hard to do that when you are "running" away during the fight.  By watching this clip I would say he was probably excessive in doing it, but it ended up working out for him.

18 minutes ago, Grinde6 said:

Based on what I have seen and heard from people that did watch the fight, and a few of them are very knowledgeable in the sport, is that he was trying to get Diaz off his game.  Diaz when he gets pissed or aggravated tends to throw loose shots which leave openings for an uppercut.  Sounds like that is what McGregor was doing.  McGregor landed more significant strikes (by a whopping 2 I know) and it is hard to do that when you are "running" away during the fight.  By watching this clip I would say he was probably excessive in doing it, but it ended up working out for him.

The point is running is an evasive technique and doesn't get rewarded points in the 10 point must scoring system.  In instances when Conor ran around to avoid engaging with Diaz he should have been penalized within the scoring system and Diaz should have been rewarded for pushing the action and maintaining octagon control which is part of the reason why I felt the close rounds after the 2nd should have gone to Diaz.  

Joe Paradiso

On 8/23/2016 at 1:09 PM, Gunther said:

You are right, Conor landed a lot, but so did Diaz and Conor's face didn't look like Nate's...there is a difference.

Conor ran, that was very obvious. He did not run the entire fight and it wasn't because he was scared. Conor ran because he was tired and could not engage at that point in the fight. I am a Conor fan, but I will admit to anyone that he was running....almost Kalib Starnes running at one point. But he won and that's the bottom line

On 8/23/2016 at 2:55 PM, Grinde6 said:

There was no strategy in what he was doing. You can tell (when watching the fight), Conor was spent and was too exhausted to engage when most of this happened. You can even see in between rounds that he was very tired. No strategy there....he was just tired from Diaz making him work against the cage.

Bryan A
"Your desire to change must be greater than your desire to stay the same"

On 8/23/2016 at 1:40 PM, Jeremie Boop said:

That's hilarious!

Bryan A

54 minutes ago, TN94z said:

You are right, Conor landed a lot, but so did Diaz and Conor's face didn't look like Nate's...there is a difference.

Conor ran, that was very obvious. He did not run the entire fight and it wasn't because he was scared. Conor ran because he was tired and could not engage at that point in the fight. I am a Conor fan, but I will admit to anyone that he was running....almost Kalib Starnes running at one point. But he won and that's the bottom line

There was no strategy in what he was doing. You can tell (when watching the fight), Conor was spent and was too exhausted to engage when most of this happened. You can even see in between rounds that he was very tired. No strategy there....he was just tired from Diaz making him work against the cage.

Yep, no strategy whatsoever...as you could see Diaz getting pissed and then throwing loosely when they did engage because he was pissed...

16 hours ago, Grinde6 said:

Yep, no strategy whatsoever...as you could see Diaz getting pissed and then throwing loosely when they did engage because he was pissed...

Have you ever watched Nate Diaz fight?  That's how Nate fights. He is always pissed and always throws loosely. Did you watch this fight? So you are saying that Conor's strategy was to literally run around the octagon while constantly staring at the clock and be visibly tired to anyone watching the fight instead of pouncing on Diaz while he was hurt? And then carried this strategy back to his corner while he was sitting on his stool, still visibly tired...And all of this just happened to occur after Nate had made Conor work against the fence which is one of the most grueling aspects of fighting in the cage.

Here is McGregor's response:

"He's a big boy, you know? A big volume puncher.

"I had to get out of there. Bring the beats down and settle myself. But who dropped who? I was on my feet the whole time.

Now with all of this being said, Conor got his 2nd wind and came back from this wonderfully. But at that point in the fight...he was just tired. Nate was probably 25lbs heavier. And when that 25lbs is working you up against the fence, it wears you down.

Bryan A

Note: This thread is 2813 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!