IGNORED

low(er) spinning drivers

Note: This thread is 2838 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I play an i15 9.5 with a ping 700d stiff flex driver. I hit it at golfsmith recently when I thought I might be spinning it too high. The shop guy said it was me. I wasn't releasing the club.

After a few swings and a quick mental fix to release the club a bit more I was getting total distance mid 280s, but distinctively remember one shot going 286 with a slight push draw and spinning 3880ish and for some reason remembered that number. Now I talked to the same tech recently after they messed up a shafts order and was hitting the finally finished product, and he thought near 4k was a lot of spin

I hit some newer low spin driver about mid 2k in spin and saw great distance numbers. I know it's specific to each player, but do you guys have suggestions on a particular club you like for its look, feel, and control etc?

I'm already considering older clubs because I'd prefer no ridiculous adjustability, but im open to suggestons. Just too complicating and would hate to become a tinkerer.

Edited by handlez42

5 hours ago, handlez42 said:

I play an i15 9.5 with a ping 700d stiff flex driver. I hit it at golfsmith recently when I thought I might be spinning it too high. The shop guy said it was me. I wasn't releasing the club.

After a few swings and a quick mental fix to release the club a bit more I was getting total distance mid 280s, but distinctively remember one shot going 286 with a slight push draw and spinning 3880ish and for some reason remembered that number. Now I talked to the same tech recently after they messed up a shafts order and was hitting the finally finished product, and he thought near 4k was a lot of spin

I hit some newer low spin driver about mid 2k in spin and saw great distance numbers. I know it's specific to each player, but do you guys have suggestions on a particular club you like for its look, feel, and control etc?

I'm already considering older clubs because I'd prefer no ridiculous adjustability, but im open to suggestons. Just too complicating and would hate to become a tinkerer.

Browse through our review section. We've reviewed a lot of drivers and some of the more recent models may fit what you are looking for.

https://thesandtrap.com/b/reviews

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

5 hours ago, handlez42 said:

After a few swings and a quick mental fix to release the club a bit more I was getting total distance mid 280s

I wish I could change my swing with a quick mental fix! From what I have come to understand here on TST, the release is the culmination of all that comes before it, so one cannot control what happens in that instant- you have to have changed things in your swing that have come before it.

But anyway, I'm not picky about the look of a club. I've been fitted twice in my life. Both times, I have turned over control to the fitter and let him walk through his process to hone in on the best club configuration for me. Spin matters, but ultimately, you'll likely find a range of drivers that are relatively close in distance, spin, plus other factors. The variability in the contact from swing to swing is probably higher than the variability in the product specifications, so you just need a knowledgable fitter who can find a good combination that works for you. I doubt there is ever one right answer, which is part of the coolness of golf. We each make our choices and go with what we chose.

My Swing

Driver: :ping: G30, Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0, Putter: :cleveland:, Balls: :snell:

6 hours ago, handlez42 said:

http://www.ping.com/clubs/classics/driversdetail.aspx?id=11388

Here is one in the Ping family you might want to consider the i20.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

• 1 month later...

Hey guys seeing as the ping i15 had a hard time reducing spin, lowest seeing 2900ish, I decided to get a version advertised as "low spin". Seeing as I'm partial towards tour edge, I got their cb4 9* lightly used. 

Now the stock shaft aldila rip sigma which is claimed to be between an alpha and beta, is quite a trying shaft. I'm gonna try an aldila rip phenom as a compromise and so how I go. I'm currently in a hybrid and putter fenangling. So the adjustments to the  bag are coning slowly

Just because it's adjustable doesn't mean you have to adjust it. You may have just taken a number of choices off your search list that may have been- felt- sounded- performed great for you

(edited)
2 hours ago, chilepepper said:

Just because it's adjustable doesn't mean you have to adjust it. You may have just taken a number of choices off your search list that may have been- felt- sounded- performed great for you

I didn't entirely cut them out but I cut out quite a few. Between end of last season and now I've tried everything. Nike all 3 types of speed, pro, and flex drivers. Cobra Ltd and f6+. Titleist d2 and d3. My favorites were the xr pro and xr16 pro, Cobra Ltd pro, and the G LS tec. The xr was probably the winner even though it perform similar to the LS tec. LS tec just too hard at contact and loud.

The reason I initially did not like adjustable clubs is because the feel seems compromised. The Taylor made and Titleist drivers don't have much feel to me. Callaway changed my perception of that (sortve). Compared to my then i15 the feel lacked. Knowing how good contact was gave me little feedback. 

I haven't hit the M2 but that looks promising.

Only reason I don't want adjustable has nothing to do with the clubs. More to do with me. I'd fiddle around with weights and face angles and lofts way too much. Especially when I'd do something that could be detrimental to distance. So I'm not against adjustable drivers, but I'm not entirely satisfied with them either when I know of models (CB4 Tour) that work fine. And it turns out all I really needed was a lower spinning driver

Edited by handlez42

• 3 weeks later...

just a recap. bought tour edge cb4 tour in 9* . aldila rip sigma claimed to sit in between a beta and alpha to appease the masses. to me it feels like a brute of a shaft. stiffer than the 3 wood i just had reshafted which has an aldila NV 75 tipped a 1/2 inch at 41.625 or something. it was the previous owner of my older 3-woods experimentation. i use it as an alignment rod

not important. anyways ive slowly started to figure out the shaft. i still have trouble shutting the face and turning it over. ive considered the slightly softer mid section Aldila RIP phenom which still spins very low for its profile. i would try and get fit for a shaft but they (golfsmtih of colorado springs) would either not know how to fit a driver without any adjustbility, or start some ridiculous search for a new shaft.

i have my reservations about that with my 3 wood reshaft i already mentioned. lets just say they ordered the wrong shaft 3 times, reshafted it with a hybrid shaft in the wrong profile (aldila NVS 85) and it took 3 weeks to get my 3 wood back finished.

more to follow just in case somebody looks this forum up and learns something.

Note: This thread is 2838 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!