IGNORED

Fox and the USGA - Changes Coming Due to Coverage of Rules Event?

iacas
Note: This thread is 2856 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator
9 hours ago, turtleback said:

But it might be helpful to remember that except for match play the rules do not give the player the right to know where they stand in a competition.  It is nice that our modern communications can keep everyone up the the minute, but there was a long long long time when a stroke play tournament was just played and then at the end they figured out who won and who lost.  Pairings did not put leaders together at the end of the tournament.  Radios did not flash scores around the course.  Think "The Greatest Game Ever Played."

People are not giving this enough weight.

Consider local tournaments you might play in. You play, you shoot the best score you can, and you see where you finish at the end. Occasionally you'll play with guys who are near your score, and you can kind of keep tabs on them, but you don't necessarily know what the scores of the groups in front of and behind you are.

None of the players interviewed seemed to care much about the stroke or not. Only the audience and the FOX announcers seemed to care.

Just now, Buckeyebowman said:

And you're right, I thought a player had to ground their club behind the ball in order to be deemed responsible for a ball moving.

I'm not saying it to pick on you… but no, you thought wrong, as you know. 18-2b went away, 18-2a has existed for a long time. This was never an 18-2b issue.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

15 hours ago, Buckeyebowman said:

OH! I get a bad feeling about this. I have to admit that with all the replays, and coaches challenges, and rules "experts" standing by to explain the rules to us (which should be in plain enough language that these experts aren't needed), that pro football has become less and less interesting to me the past few years. I don't want that to happen to golf! Anymore, watching an NFL game has become more like watching a legal proceeding than a game!

Like I said in the beginning I think it depends on your personality. Some people are really into to the result being fair and/or correct. To some people it doesn't matter bad calls, mistakes, bad weather, its just all part of the game. 

I for one like replay. Does it slow the game down, yeah a little, but frankly not feeling like I was cheated because the referee missed a call does make me feel better. And in golf a replay will not cause any lost time. Dustin can go on playing 7 holes the replay can be reviewed and then the decision made (yes they do need to make a decision) and then the player can be notified.

Not saying you are wrong for your opinion. I understand your view is different, which is fine.

Michael

23 hours ago, iacas said:

I'm not saying it to pick on you… but no, you thought wrong, as you know. 18-2b went away, 18-2a has existed for a long time. This was never an 18-2b issue.

Oh, I fully understand it now. Since I almost never play in "strict" competitions, and haven't for years, my grasp of the rules has gotten fuzzy. There is one issue that still bothers me. The fact that a supposedly qualified RO can give a ruling on site, but the USGA reserves the right to change it's mind about it later. All because they can look at replays on TV. What do they do when one of their championships is not televised?

Reminds me of the "last 2 minutes" nonsense the NBA engaged in during the playoffs. What was the purpose of that? The NBA told us it was "transparency", but it looked more like trying to embarrass the refs by showing us how bad they were. We heard that this should have been called a foul and that should not have! But what good did it really do?

• Administrator
1 minute ago, Buckeyebowman said:

lWhat do they do when one of their championships is not televised?

The same thing you should try to do: use the best available evidence.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Note: This thread is 2856 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!