IGNORED

Golf ball comparison

Note: This thread is 3013 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Senior golfer, 6 handicap but it's increasing faster than wished!  Play Pro V1, have for years. Notice in past year as club speed is slowing, ball arc is still good but distance is dropping and ball just seem to be over spinning on drives then falls out of sky. So much confusion in market place on the "low compression" balls, but Thinking of switching/trying. Anyone have any feedback as to a quality ball that should be considered.  Thanks. 

@Dakl  There are several new balls manufactured which I have played and would recommend.

• Bridgestone E series and the 330 RX.
  • Callaway Super Soft
  • Oncore - Avant and the new Caliber
  • Snell has a great ball, "My Tour Ball"

I also like the Gamer and Duo

Welcome to the Sand Trap ... :beer:

Johnny Rocket - Let's Rock and Roll and play some golf !!!

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 hour ago, Dakl said:

Senior golfer, 6 handicap but it's increasing faster than wished!  Play Pro V1, have for years. Notice in past year as club speed is slowing, ball arc is still good but distance is dropping and ball just seem to be over spinning on drives then falls out of sky. So much confusion in market place on the "low compression" balls, but Thinking of switching/trying. Anyone have any feedback as to a quality ball that should be considered.  Thanks. 

TaylorMade Project(a).  I'm a senior too (69) and this seems to be a great ball for me.  Don't dismiss it by seeing my handicap.  I was a 10-12 for 25 years, playing Titleist Balata Tour 100's and later Pro V1's.  

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Historically I always played the ProV1X. This year I decided $60 per dozen was ridiculous, so bought 2 boxes of Project As. I am happy with them so far. I can use a ball a full round without the cover being ripped apart :)

Honestly, I haven't found any difference at all in my scores, so I am guessing that is good?

Ian

13 hours ago, Dakl said:

I'm in a very similar place to you.  I've recently switched from a ProV1 to a Bridgestone B330rx.  Distance is very good with a bit less spin off the tee and good hang time.  I do notice a little less spin around the greens, but nothing that I haven't been able to adjust to.  Putter feel is very good.  

As an added bonus, the last generation model is available for about $27/dozen now.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

I do not play a tour ball but everything I have read about the Chrome Soft indicates it may work for your game.  For a non-urethane ball I would recommend the Gamer Soft, but it does not perform on the green like the ProV1 you have been using.  However, it does hold the green very well for a 3 piece surlyn ball.

I admit i fall into the cult of titleist sometimes too and don't always realize they're could be better stuff out there for my game. 

The newer models of ProV's are a little better with the covers. A few models ago i couldn't get through 9 holes with one without shredding the cover. One good full wedge and that ball was usually done.

I played with a sleeve of callaway chrome softs over the weekend and i got to say i really liked that ball. Im not sure about the compression but it felt more springy. I have a feeling they are similar range balls. Nice control with the irons. Very good in the wind-held its trajectory well on low punches. The ProV is a little better around the green, but not by much. The callaway ran out for me a little more. A little cheaper than ProV's as well, $40 a dozen if I'm right. Id give those a look. Im considering making a change to that ball. I'd look at the bridgestone b330 rx too. 

How important is spin to you??

Granted I'm a bogey golfer, but I like the Wilson Duo. Usually a hop and stop on approaches for me, one of the better 2-piece balls I've tried (and for $20/dozen, very affordable). If your game requires spin, maybe the Duo Spin and/or Duo U would be up your alley.

(I've been tempted to go back to the Gamer, too... but I'm not sure how the new generation of balls compares to previous ones, so I can't personally recommend it.)

Or just hoard balls you find on the course, pick a slow day/time when no one will be pushing you, and go hit 3 or 4 different balls per hole and see which one works best. Only way to know is to put each ball into real action.

-- In the Bag --

Cobra S3 White Driver (10.5*)

Cobra AMP Cell-S 3-Hybrid (18*)

Cobra AMP Cell-S Irons (4i-GW)

SCOR 4161 Forged Wedge (55*)

Cleveland VP1 Putter

Change the ball according to your swing speed.  Get that tested and then pick the best ball in your swing speed that works for you.  Will require a bit of experimentation and also need you to be realistic about what the golf ball can offer you in terms of performance.  Using a tour ball means additional spin on any shot, which is leading to your drives being shorter now.  I would suggest look at the 3 piece balls which will offer enough spin around the greens but help with your distance loss as well because they don't spin as much as the tour balls.  Also, don't be brand conscious since there are a lot of balls like Snell and Volvik which offer similar performance at lower cost because they don't spend a lot of money on advertising and pro endorsements

What's in the bag

• Taylor Made r5 dual Draw 9.5* (stiff)
  • Cobra Baffler 4H (stiff)
  • Taylor Made RAC OS 6-9,P,S (regular)
  • Golden Bear LD5.0 60* (regular)
  • Aidia Z-009 Putter
  • Inesis Soft 500 golf ball

If you want a sizeable distance gain your probably gonna need to look at three piece surlyn golf balls. The only 3 pc non urethane I had luck with was the Nike hyperflight, the bridgestone e6, and the gamer soft. I have a slower swing and lost lots of distance when I went to urethane. The best distance performers for me in urethane are the taylormade project a and the bridgestone e5. If u dont need tour spin, the Calloway Supersoft goes further than any ball Ive played, but its a 2 piece. The difference between the shortest urethane golf ball for me and the  supersoft was 25 yards with the driver and 8-12 with irons. The supersoft is also one of the four best surlyn balls on and around the greens in my opinion. Good luck! 

Thanks for all the replies. Looks like there are more options then I knew. Gonna try 'em all. Really wish they sold balls by the sleeve like long ago. Lol. 

1 hour ago, Dakl said:

Thanks for all the replies. Looks like there are more options then I knew. Gonna try 'em all. Really wish they sold balls by the sleeve like long ago. Lol. 

If you don't have a problem shopping online pick yourself up a Trial Pack of Snell balls. They have 2 lines.  The My Tour Balls (which are going to be similar to ProV's)and the Get Sum (which are more like a nxt). It's only $26.99 with shipping and tax for the trial pack. One of the two balls will definitely be what your looking for.  The price per dozen (once you decide which your prefer) is the best deal you will find. Here is the link.

https://www.snellgolf.com/

Because I'm on a club team for my university, we get Srixon balls for really cheap, which is what I use because of that. 

So, if I am at a new course or not feeling well or there's a ball where I don't feel like using a Z-Star, I always have some Q-stars on hand. I really do love this ball. It has the same "skin" as the Z stars so it has a really nice feel to it. Perhaps consider picking up a sleeve of Q stars when you do your testing, and do let me know what you think of them if you do! It's about $20-$25 for the whole dozen, though, especially if you shop online at a place like budget golf.

My general thoughts on it is reasonably long without sacrificing accuracy to greens. It is among the straightest balls I've ever played. Tends to be a hop and stop ball or a hop and foot of roll out for me. Usually it stops, and I don't ever spin one back which is how I like it. 

Best of luck in your search!

Andrew M.

Note: This thread is 3013 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!