IGNORED

2016 Rio Olympics Thread (Sport Only)

boogielicious
Note: This thread is 2800 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Watching beach volleyball now @Gunther ? Holland vs Holland now (yes, that's possible) in quarter final. Great match, shame one team has to go out.

~Jorrit

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

19 hours ago, Chilli Dipper said:

Wayde Van Niekerk!

People said Michael Johnson's world record at 400 meters would never be broken, but it has just been surpassed by an athlete coached by a 74-year-old grandmother.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

45 minutes ago, Silent said:

Watching beach volleyball now @Gunther ? Holland vs Holland now (yes, that's possible) in quarter final. Great match, shame one team has to go out.

In terms of beach, I've only been keeping up with Kerry Walsh and April Ross.  They're onto the semis.  Haven't watched the men at all but I know they played Brazil today, no idea who won.

Mainly following ladies indoor.  US got out of pool play undefeated, which was great.  Holland got the 2 seed in our pool, so as I said last week, we might see each other again for the Gold, depends how the fare against Russia and Brazil.  Japan next up tomorrow.  Should be fun!

• Upvote 1

In my Bag: Driver: Titelist 913 D3 9.5 deg. 3W: TaylorMade RBZ 14.5 3H: TaylorMade RBZ 18.5 4I - SW: TaylorMade R7 TP LW: Titelist Vokey 60 Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball

9 hours ago, Gunther said:

In terms of beach, I've only been keeping up with Kerry Walsh and April Ross.  They're onto the semis.  Haven't watched the men at all but I know they played Brazil today, no idea who won.

Mainly following ladies indoor.  US got out of pool play undefeated, which was great.  Holland got the 2 seed in our pool, so as I said last week, we might see each other again for the Gold, depends how the fare against Russia and Brazil.  Japan next up tomorrow.  Should be fun!

To be honest I don't expect our ladies to reach the final. On the other hand, so far their performance is pretty good. A medal, even bronze, would be far beyond expectation but ofcourse very welcome.

• Upvote 1

~Jorrit

14 hours ago, Silent said:

I picked the Netherlands to win!

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

1 hour ago, boogielicious said:

Excellent choise sir ;) Brouwer/Meeuwsen won the Dutch match, as former world champions I think they are slightly better anyway so that's a good thing. Next a difficult game against the local heroes.

~Jorrit

Have to say I was disappointed in Olympic golf. Aside from the awarding of the medals and the enthusiasm it was no different than watching 4 days of the john deere classic or some other non major tournament.

I wish they had done 2 days tournament and then saved the last 2 days for some team play.

Heck I would have watched wedge shootout competition, accuracy competition, long drive, scramble, stable ford, 2 ball or alternating shot.
I would have even watched a putting competition!
But 4 days of Olympic golf just didn't do it for me.

On the other hand. I have been captivated by track & field and weigh lifting. Watching men and women clean and jerk 380+ lbs is fascinating!!!!

In my Grom:

Driver-Taylormade 10.5 Woods- Taylomade 3 wood, taylormade 4 Hybrid
Irons- Callaway Big Berthas 5i - GW Wedges- Titles Volkey  Putter- Odyssey protype #9
Ball- Bridgestone E6
All grips Golf Pride

As a non fan outside of the Olympics, the men's sprint hurdlers amaze me because those things are freaking tall. (3 1/2 feet I believe!). That they can run and jump them without really breaking stride is impressive.

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, Gunther said:

Netherlands just reached the semis! Chances of meeting again just got a little bit bigger.

~Jorrit

7 minutes ago, Silent said:

Netherlands just reached the semis! Chances of meeting again just got a little bit bigger.

Nice!  Who did they get by, Russia?  

US plays Japan at noon my time I think.  I have it taped so I'll stay out of this thread til late tonight when I can watch it.

In my Bag: Driver: Titelist 913 D3 9.5 deg. 3W: TaylorMade RBZ 14.5 3H: TaylorMade RBZ 18.5 4I - SW: TaylorMade R7 TP LW: Titelist Vokey 60 Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball

2 hours ago, Gunther said:

Nice!  Who did they get by, Russia?  

US plays Japan at noon my time I think.  I have it taped so I'll stay out of this thread til late tonight when I can watch it.

South Korea. Next is against China or Russia. Good luck against Japan.

• Upvote 1

~Jorrit

I've been chuckling at the idea that the biggest Olympic sponsors are always products that I could not imagine most of these finely tuned individuals ever indulge in, specifically Coke and McDonalds.  I stand corrected ...

https://au.sports.yahoo.com/rio-2016/a/32354317/olympics-2016-mcdonalds-limit-enforced-in-athletes-village/#page1

9 hours ago, boogielicious said:

You just lost your bet :( Very close game into final set.

~Jorrit

1 hour ago, Golfingdad said:

I've been chuckling at the idea that the biggest Olympic sponsors are always products that I could not imagine most of these finely tuned individuals ever indulge in, specifically Coke and McDonalds.  I stand corrected ...

https://au.sports.yahoo.com/rio-2016/a/32354317/olympics-2016-mcdonalds-limit-enforced-in-athletes-village/#page1

Hard to pass up free Mickey Ds. Great advertising if you ask me.

In the Village, little choice

Part of the issue here is that there are not a ton of alternatives. The village has a cafeteria in a big tent — plus a “casual dining” restaurant with Brazilian food — but the reviews have been well short of glowing. The crush of people in the cafeteria, trying to figure out in a babel of languages what is being served, can make for a frenzied meal.

“Normally, in the cafeteria, the food isn’t good,” said Idaliz Ortiz, a 26-year-old judoka from Cuba, picking fries out of her bag. “In practically all the arenas, it’s the same. So the whole world always comes here for American food. That’s McDonald’s.”

It also happens to be free, at least for athletes and coaches. The orders can get prodigious. 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/the_americas/olympic-athletes-are-gorging-themselves-on-free-mcdonalds/2016/08/12/25f0eb35-5a26-4bdb-8643-123855fb0430_story.html

Screen Shot 2016-08-16 at 5.24.57 PM.png

Screen Shot 2016-08-16 at 5.25.34 PM.png

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

NBC's coverage so far, bogey.

It would be one thing if NBC had at least updated its game plan at some point between the 1980s and now, if it were continuing to produce the Olympics like an episode of Dateline but adapting the themes and ideals reflected therein to fit the changing times. But the whole enterprise has all the homey, forced folksiness of a Ronald Reagan campaign ad — except Reagan actually believed in what he was selling.

The irony of all of this is that NBC has a product that actually presents the Olympics in fairly straightforward fashion, as a sporting event where various countries’ hopes and dreams rest on their competitors, if only for the length of one race. Its Olympics streaming platform is a beautiful piece of software, allowing viewers the chance to just watch the events as they unfold, rather than edited to pieces and regurgitated for the primetime audience.

http://www.vox.com/2016/8/11/12433144/nbc-olympics-bad

Steve

2 hours ago, Golfingdad said:

When you train that hard you don't need to be super picky. Caloric volume is important. When I did crew I would regularly eat a huge bowl of pasta after practice polished off by a pint of Ben & Jerry's and I still lost weight.

3 hours ago, Golfingdad said:

Sounds like there's a lot of controversy and corruption in the Olympic boxing.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/olympics/36689783

That's a really unusual dichotomy between the coach and the athlete on the decision.

Kevin

13 minutes ago, natureboy said:

That's a really unusual dichotomy between the coach and the athlete on the decision.

Not to me.  Everything both of them said, from their points of view, jives and is accurate.

Note: This thread is 2800 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!