IGNORED

2016 Rio Olympics Thread (Sport Only)

boogielicious
Note: This thread is 2765 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Let's keep this a thread about the sporting events and not the Zika, Crime, Dirty Water, political crap, etc.

First up:

US Women's Soccer Team won 2-0 yesterday and Brazil won. Brazil wants this badly after their showing in the World Cup, but the US team is very strong.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

The US team play OK.   They will have their hands full with France.    Canada looked good but I believe Brazil will be the team to beat.   

On the men's side, lots of good games today.    I'm looking forward to watching Columbia, Brazil and Mexico.    It should be good soccer.   

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

Just now, dennyjones said:

The US team play OK.   They will have their hands full with France.    Canada looked good but I believe Brazil will be the team to beat.   

On the men's side, lots of good games today.    I'm looking forward to watching Columbia, Brazil and Mexico.    It should be good soccer.   

The US team played steady, but I think they were reserving energy too. NZ got no real chances. 

I like Marta a lot, but she is getting up there in age. She doesn't have the burst she used to. I do think it will come down to Brazil USA, but watch Japan too.

The men's games are less appealing to me because they usually don't play their World Cup squads, so there is less talent.

Scott

My Swing Thread

8 minutes ago, boogielicious said:

The men's games are less appealing to me because they usually don't play their World Cup squads, so there is less talent.

The men's football at the WC is an u23 tournament with 3 'over age' players. Brazil care very much because they've never won it, somewhat absurdly they always find a way to lose. It's not a 'serious' tournament like the Copa America, Euros or World Cup.

Edited by alleztom
missed 3 words

D: Ping G25 Stock S Shaft
3W: Titleist 915F 16.5* Diamana S70 Blue Stiff
3H, 4H: Callaway XR Project X LZ 6.0
5i-PW: Mizuno MP54 Project X 5.5 Shafts
52*, 58*: Mizuno JPX Wedge TT Dynalite Gold AP
Putter: Mizuno MP A306

Looking forward to indoor volleyball, women's mostly but the men's game is truly amazing.  Really about the only time we get to see the sport televised.

In my Bag: Driver: Titelist 913 D3 9.5 deg. 3W: TaylorMade RBZ 14.5 3H: TaylorMade RBZ 18.5 4I - SW: TaylorMade R7 TP LW: Titelist Vokey 60 Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball

7 minutes ago, boogielicious said:

I do think it will come down to Brazil USA, but watch Japan too.

Japan didn't qualify for the Olympics..:mellow:

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

13 minutes ago, alleztom said:

The men's football at the WC is an u23 tournament with 3 'over age' players.

This has always seemed like a really weird thing to me. The English club season is going to kick off at roughly the same time. Actually Wolves open with Rotherham on Saturday. Makes the Olympics seem very minor in this regard.

13 minutes ago, mcanadiens said:

This has always seemed like a really weird thing to me. The English club season is going to kick off at roughly the same time. Actually Wolves open with Rotherham on Saturday. Makes the Olympics seem very minor in this regard.

I hope you're talking about the Olympics in general, rather than just the Olympic football. Wolves Rotherham is clearly much more important than the entire Olympics.

D: Ping G25 Stock S Shaft
3W: Titleist 915F 16.5* Diamana S70 Blue Stiff
3H, 4H: Callaway XR Project X LZ 6.0
5i-PW: Mizuno MP54 Project X 5.5 Shafts
52*, 58*: Mizuno JPX Wedge TT Dynalite Gold AP
Putter: Mizuno MP A306

heard on the radio that rugby will be in the Olymipics this year, for me the Olympics have lost steam for me as I have gotten older, but the 7's format and quick matches will def be on my radar to see. Womens' and mens'

25 minutes ago, alleztom said:

I hope you're talking about the Olympics in general, rather than just the Olympic football. Wolves Rotherham is clearly much more important than the entire Olympics.

It can be both.

I enjoy football very much, but the only Olympic sport that truly matters is ice hockey.

1 hour ago, dennyjones said:

Japan didn't qualify for the Olympics..:mellow:

I guess I missed that! :-P

Scott

My Swing Thread

14 hours ago, Gunther said:

Looking forward to indoor volleyball, women's mostly but the men's game is truly amazing.  Really about the only time we get to see the sport televised.

One of the sports I never see except for the Olympics, and I'm always in awe of the level of play.

Generally looking forward to this year since all sports are streaming live - I need to get myself a comprehensive schedule and start planning out the next couple of weeks viewing. :)

29 minutes ago, dennyjones said:

The Japanese men did, not the women. 

And they're down 3-2 to Nigeria early in the second half right now.

12 hours ago, dennyjones said:

The Japanese men did, not the women. 

That is surprising considering how well Japan Women's soccer has played in the last World Cups and Olympics.

Scott

My Swing Thread

Lighting of the cauldron from Johnny Vegas:

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

US women's vball team crushed Puerto Rico, 3-0.  A little closer than it appeared.  Was a good challenge for their 1st match.  My kid has played a couple top Puerto Rico club teams, they're usually small and scrappy.  Their women's team was the same.  Good to get by them.

Girl who won the shooting gold was cute.  Great interview by Dan Patrick.  That's what the Olympics are about.

In my Bag: Driver: Titelist 913 D3 9.5 deg. 3W: TaylorMade RBZ 14.5 3H: TaylorMade RBZ 18.5 4I - SW: TaylorMade R7 TP LW: Titelist Vokey 60 Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball

I watched women's volleyball. Only the second game was close. The one take away was that in a point with a good back and forth volley we were not as strong. USA does better with quick strike power at the net volleyball. 

Watched end of soccer as well and we beat France. 

16 minutes ago, Gator Hazard said:

I watched women's volleyball. Only the second game was close. The one take away was that in a point with a good back and forth volley we were not as strong. USA does better with quick strike power at the net volleyball. 

A small, scrappy, quick team will generally win the longer volleys, but like in other sports, size and strength usually wins in the end. 

Note: This thread is 2765 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!