IGNORED

My Swing (lastings)

lastings

• Administrator
3 minutes ago, lastings said:

Thank you.    I was thinking that first move out was looking not so appealing.     Thanks for the input.  I’ll get to work. 

Back and up, not out and around.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Figured since I have this, I may as well post it.   Even though it’s not a good video. Can’t get back far enough. 

driver swing is quite a bit more flat.  Probably too much sway rather than turn.    But, I’m really working on speed, and this summer I averaged 278 off the tee with driver and hit 61% fairways.     So, I just don’t think it’s my biggest concern.  I do want to be longer, though.  

:tmade:  - SIM2 - Kuro Kage silver 60 shaft
:cobra:  - F9 3W, 15 degree - Fukijara Atmos white tour spec stiff flex shaft

:tmade: - M2 hybrid, 19 degree
:tmade: - GAPR 3 iron - 18degree
:mizuno: MP-H5 4-5 iron, MP-25 6-8 iron, MP-5 9-PW

Miura - 1957 series k-grind - 56 degree
:bettinardi: - 52 degree
:titleist: - Scotty Cameron Newport 2 - Putter

check out my swing here

• Administrator
14 minutes ago, lastings said:

driver swing is quite a bit more flat.

Too much so, yes.

The body is responsible for the AROUND. The arms are responsible for the UP.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

On 11/27/2021 at 7:17 PM, iacas said:

Back and up, not out and around.

Ok…. Question:  

I’ve been watching videos… lots of them.  
just trying to understand what this out and around move is causing.  

everyone comes straight back and up (except DJ a little bit, but, there’s a lot going on there that it seems unreasonable to replicate)  

so.. it seems that old rickie comes back and up and then lays it flat and by the time he’s coming down, he’s as flat as I am.  But, because he starts back and up and lays it, his right elbow is in front of his chest.  

where Rory stays much more vertical, giving his elbow much more room to work on the way down. 

69CD0929-D5D7-4E34-9420-5D29D7225F83.thumb.jpeg.9b9dcf4358cd0a587d0b0bf3b5afa207.jpegD2A72D98-7B62-4E4F-87B3-A814875FED4D.thumb.jpeg.2d6c5b70a390f4c518e838d4cf6fa444.jpeg

Whereas, because I am going out and around, my right elbow has a tendency to get stuck at my ribs forcing me to throw my hands around my body causing hook. 

just asking as I’m gonna do some work tomorrow, and want to get an idea of what to feel on the way down as I try to go more back and up to the top. 

are these reasonable thoughts? Or am I overthinking? 

check out my swing here

• Administrator
8 hours ago, lastings said:

just trying to understand what this out and around move is causing.

You go out away from you too much to start. Thus, what it "causes" is for you to then go too much "around" you the rest of the backswing. This puts you in a "too shallow" position (notice where the shaft is pointing) and requires you to steepen it a precise amount exactly at the moment when you have a tremendous amount of force and very little time to act on the club (transition into the downswing).

• Weight WAY back in your heels.
  • Hands go out away from you.

01.jpg

• Hands track around, club is super shallow and not pointing anywhere near the target line.

02.jpg

• Club MUST steepen in transition to get anywhere close to the ball. Bad time to do this.

03.jpg

The driver swing is much worse, as at least with the irons you maintain something of a neutral shoulder tilt. Not so with the driver:

04.jpg05.jpg

Big trouble there.

See this topic for your setup:

so.. it seems that old rickie comes back and up and then lays it flat and by the time he’s coming down, he’s as flat as I am.  But, because he starts back and up and lays it, his right elbow is in front of his chest.

You ain't Rickie.

just asking as I’m gonna do some work tomorrow, and want to get an idea of what to feel on the way down as I try to go more back and up to the top. 

You're miles away from being able to "feel on the way down." You need to spend a lot of time on the first foot of your backswing, and then the first three feet, and then the next three feet…

After you spend time on your setup.

noted, and thank you.  

bringing alignment stick with to dome tonight.   working on setup/first 3 feet.   

hopefully can make a bit of improvement and get some video.  

check out my swing here

• Administrator
8 minutes ago, lastings said:

working on setup/first 3 feet

Or…

35 minutes ago, iacas said:

You need to spend a lot of time on the first foot of your backswing

🙂

To be fair your club might move 3' if your hands move 1'. 😄

7 minutes ago, iacas said:

Or…

🙂

To be fair your club might move 3' if your hands move 1'. 😄

:beer:

Also, I like this as a priority piece.    Something I can definitely work on at home in my living room as well.   

makes me wonder, though...  If my irons have such a tendency to go out rather than straight back, and I didn't really realize it without video...     
What is my putter doing???   :blink:

check out my swing here

Ok.  Got some work in today.  Working really nice with the irons.  Driver not so much.   Couldn’t consistently get comfortable at the top of the swing, and was having a tough time hitting the center of the face.   But, there were a couple times where I did get my hands up higher and with good balance and I really felt like I had more room to whip the club through. I’ll get after it this weekend.  

anyways…  tried to get some video before I left and turned out to be kind of a shitty angle and zoomed in a bit or something.   

think I’m making progress here and I’m sure I had some better ones where the club was more vertical while I was working on it.  But, I get a bit nervous when I video I think.  Gotta ingrain in a bit until it feels more natural.    Also… ugh..  noticed my grip got a bit strong again here.  Learn one thing, forget another..    I wonder if I’ll ever be able to put it all together.  

check out my swing here

• Administrator

It's been one day. This will take a few months.

46 minutes ago, iacas said:

No.  I wanna be good at golf now!!! 

ha!  No, I’m just kidding.  I do appreciate the fact that it was not expected of me to have this down in one day.  But, I do think I made a bit of progress 

but, question:  it feels like turning my left shoulder to the ground equals back and up.  This seem reasonable and/or accurate? 

check out my swing here

@lastings I think this would be a good drill for you to spend some time on as I have gone thru something similar in my own swing. And@iacas can correct me if he thinks differently. 

I would show us some video of you actually doing this drill to see if you are doing it correctly. It's not as easy as it looks at first.

Good luck and stay the course, it's worth it.

• Like 1

Jim Morgan

Driver: :callaway: GBB Epic Speed 10.5 deg Reg
Woods: 3W :callaway: Epic Flash 15 deg, Heavenwood:callaway:GBB 20 deg
4 Hybrid: :callaway:  Epic Flash 21 deg, 5 Hybird: :callaway: Apex 24 deg
Irons: :ping: G425 Graphite 6-SW, Wedges: :ping: Glide 58 deg
Putter: :bettinardi: Armlock  :aimpoint: Express
 :titleist: golf bag, Blue Tees RF

On 12/1/2021 at 8:59 PM, iacas said:

This feels like….   Progress? 

check out my swing here

• 3 months later...

Practicing over at GolfTec now.    good spot for getting video of your swing.   

here's a 6 iron

check out my swing here

Swings looking good. Was that the dome in Edina? I live in St Paul so it looked familiar. 

BO THE GOLFER

In my Top Flite stand bag:

Driver-Ping G400+ 10.5 degrees regular flex Hybrids-Ping I25 17 & 20 degrees stiff flex Irons-Ping I3 O-size 4 through lob wedge regular flex Putter-Nike Oz 6

23 minutes ago, Bo the Golfer said:

Swings looking good. Was that the dome in Edina? I live in St Paul so it looked familiar. 

thanks!

Yep.   Braemar golf dome. 

check out my swing here

• 1 month later...

Been working on a lot lately....    but, mostly trying to reduce sway of hips, chest, and head.     It was honestly pretty bad.   No only was I swaying, but, especially with my driver my weight was going the wrong direction when I hit the ball.   body moving in the direction away from the ball and away from the target as I was striking it.     

Main focus is keeping weight on front foot in back swing, while shoulder goes straight to the ground.      On the downswing getting weight forward as quick as possible and trying to finish out over the lead leg.   Still working on lots of 50% swings to try and get the feeling.   but, when I do it right, I can feel it immediately and there is a ton more leverage as I snap through the ball.   It's creating quite a bit more ball speed too.   however, right now I'm typically only getting 10-11 degrees launch, which is hurting my distance.    When I get 13-14 degrees I get quite a bit more carry and total distance.    (actually hit one 305 today on the flight scope!, which is about 15 yds past my max drives a month ago).       not sure how to consistently create more loft while moving my weight towards the target, but I'm sure I'll figure it out down the road.    more concerned with consistently setting up and transferring weight better.

check out my swing here

• Administrator
4 hours ago, lastings said:

Main focus is keeping weight on front foot in back swing, while shoulder goes straight to the ground.

As a feel? Or, actually?