IGNORED

Does "not nearer the hole" really need to be so rigidly enforced?

Liko81
Note: This thread is 2801 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

In re-familiarizing myself with some of the more obscure rules, I've found that virtually all rules prescribing relief, drop and/or placement procedures include the words "and not nearer to the hole" when referring to the ball's new placement. This has led to no small number of Decisions regarding each of these rules regarding what is equitable when it is impossible to follow all the Rules as written. For instance, 20-3d/2 talks about what to do when a ball rolls into a bunker, rests against a rake or other movable obstruction, then will not come to rest in its original spot after removing the obstruction, and all other parts of the bunker are near the hole.

From my experience playing from bunkers, just about anywhere near the lip of the bunker where the ball would come to rest when placed would be as disadvantageous as any other, even if it does roll a foot closer to the hole. On that same point, all other things being equal, does a foot, or even a clublength, closer to the hole actually get you that much of an advantage in the average situation?

I would think that in general, loosening the prohibition on "closer to the hole" to allow it in situations where it would not, in the judgment of opponents/fellow-competitors/Committee, give the player a significant additional advantage beyond the relief taken, would allow for many more situations to be more equitably solved.

• Administrator

This goes against one of the fundamental, core principles: that a player may only really advance his ball toward the hole by making a stroke at it.

And… practically speaking, a ball being in the very back part of a bunker, resting against a rake or something, and not coming to rest when placed is pretty seldom a concern.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

When playing for a recordable  score, all USGA rules should be taken seriously, and enforced. 

I don't like some of them either, but rules are rules.

Now if you are out there for a casual, relaxing round, then bury that rule book at the bottom of your empty beverage cans. :beer:

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

9 hours ago, Liko81 said:

I would think that in general, loosening the prohibition on "closer to the hole" to allow it in situations where it would not, in the judgment of opponents/fellow-competitors/Committee, give the player a significant additional advantage beyond the relief taken, would allow for many more situations to be more equitably solved.

Playing in a 100 field tournament. Only two in a group. Your fellow competitor judges that your 3 foot (3 inch, 6 foot, 50 foot) 'not nearer' gives you no significant advantage.

What about the other 98 competitors who may judge that it does?

Note: This thread is 2801 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!