IGNORED

Do you think the long putter should be banned?

Zachwright1
Note: This thread is 5840 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. Should the long putter be banned

• Yes, Golf is a game of tradition.
    • No, what for?

• Administrator
Again, like I have asked all the other nimwits

It's a benefit to people who can't putt. Tiger can putt.

I think it should be banned because I'm against the idea of anchoring something to your body. Golf is a sport where the connection to your body is the hands only. You swing the club, you don't lock in and rotate your body. The long putter isn't "an advantage" to people that can putt. It's an advantage to people who can't putt. It's like letting people who can't drive the ball very well tee off on a fairway that's five yards wider.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Equipment manufacturers and the USGA and R&A; have made this game easier in every other aspect... why not continue to allow the long or belly putters?

Obviously, this isn't news but there's...

cavity back irons - for people who can't consistently find the sweet spot
longer flying balls, metal woods, and springy drivers - for people who can't generate enough clubhead speed
hybrids - for people who can't hit long irons
60° lob wedges - for people who can't open up a 54° or 56° sand wedge
square grooves & milled faces - for people who can't spin the ball enough, especially out of the rough

...not to mention all those various putterhead shapes and styles with aiming aids.

These are all advantages that the great majority of golfers around the world use everyday. Are they right or wrong?

I feel the point about anchoring something against your body is a little weak because the golfer is at least using his/her body to create the anchor. There's no artificial device, or a hinge on the club used to create this anchor. The body and anchor are still positioned to the side of the golf ball - not behind it, and I think that still presents a challenge.

The body anchor is still subject to movement.
The arm swing can still go offline and swing at the wrong speed.
The head can still lift up prematurely.

I just don't see the long and belly putters influencing the game as greatly as those items listed above.

As long as the great majority of players continue to struggle with this game (and they always will), all of the above should be allowed for everyone.

Driver: R7 SuperQuad TP 9.5° Fujikura Rombax 6X07
Hybrid: Rescue TP 19°

Orlimar3wood: Hip-Steel 15° (oldie but goodie)Irons: Ping i10 [4-GW] DG X-100Wedges: Ping Tour-W [54° & 58°] DG X-100Putter: i-Series Piper HBalls: B330-S or e5+

I think it should be banned because I'm against the idea of anchoring something to your body. Golf is a sport where the connection to your body is the hands only. You swing the club, you don't lock in and rotate your body.

I'd have to agree completely with iacas.

In My Sun Mountain C-130 Bag
Woods: System Q
Hybrid: System Q
Irons: Acer XP905
Ball: Other EquipmentPush Cart: Sun Mountain Speed Cart V1My Home CourseGreen Knoll Golf Course

i just dont want that big thing sticking out of my golf bag

907D2 9.5°, Fujikura Speeder
906F4, 15.5°, Fujikura Speeder
585H, 19°, Fujikura Speeder
735 CM 3-PW, Dynamic Gold
Vokey 52° & 58°35" Circa 62 #3Freestyle BagLow tournament score: 70 (back in my high school days)

I believe the long putter is legal as long as only two parts of your body (hands) touch the putter. I use a long putter (50 inch) but my top hand separates the grip from my body.

I love it... a long putter user says the "other" long putter should be banned...both should be banned, not for traditionalist notions, but because I want to throw up when I see them, they are NOT golf clubs.

My Clubs: Callaway FT-i Tour LCG 9.5° w/ Matrix Ozik Xcon 6 stiff; Sonartec GS Tour 14° w/ Graphite Design Red Ice 70 stiff; Adams Idea Pro 2h(18°) & 3h(20°) w/ Aldila VS Proto 80 stiff; Adams Idea Pro Forged 4-PW w/ TT Black Gold stiff; Cleveland CG12 DSG RTG 52°-10° & 58°-10°; Odyssey...

when you say long putters do you mean broomstick with the one hand at the top and the other furter down about 2 thirds up?

Driver: Taylormade R11 set to 8*
3 Wood: R9 15* Motore Stiff
Hybrid: 19° 909 H Voodoo
Irons: 4-PW AP2 Project X 5.5
52*, 60* Vokey SM Chrome

Putter: Odyssey XG #7

Ball: Titleist Pro V1x

No, Billy Mayfair needs every last piece of help he can get. And also, if a guy can carry a putter thats looks like a space station, why cant he have a longer putter too?

Monster Tour 10.5* w/ Redboard 63
FP400f 14.5* w/ GD YSQ
Idea Pro 18* w/ VS Proto 80s
MP FLi-Hi 21 w/ S300
CG1 BP w/ PX 6.0 SM 54.11 SM 60.08 Sophia 33"

My Ping Craz-e G2i does have the look of something "otherworldly", but I don't anchor it to my body. Plus, I actually would carry two putters for different types of putts if we had infinate options. My mallet is a tradeoff. Plus, when I see mallets I don't get sick to my stomache like I do when I see a putter that is five feet tall. These long putters just don't appear to be golf glubs... and just for the record I'm also in favor of banning all the odd grips (i.e. left hand low, the claw, etc.)
My Clubs: Callaway FT-i Tour LCG 9.5° w/ Matrix Ozik Xcon 6 stiff; Sonartec GS Tour 14° w/ Graphite Design Red Ice 70 stiff; Adams Idea Pro 2h(18°) & 3h(20°) w/ Aldila VS Proto 80 stiff; Adams Idea Pro Forged 4-PW w/ TT Black Gold stiff; Cleveland CG12 DSG RTG 52°-10° & 58°-10°; Odyssey...

• 3 months later...
Guys with long putters are not exactly winning every tournament.

If they ban long putters in the name of tradition, should they also ban 460cc driver heads, metal woods, cavity back clubs, hybrids?

Let's go back to greens running 7.5 and persimmon woods. Bunk!

SubPar

Guys with long putters are not exactly winning every tournament.

Apples and oranges. We're not talking about materials or putter head shapes that magically make the ball roll farther or straighter or with less skip. All of those are fine, just like it's fine to claim a driver that makes it go straighter or farther. I've seen plenty of guys top an R7!

The long putter, and the belly putter, introduce a totally different method of utilizing the club. Anchoring the club in any way to your body reduces the inherent fluctuations that are the challenge of putting. IMO, you hold the club in your hands and swing it. Having a shaft that extends through your hands up into your belly or your chest is against the integrity of the game. Moreover, I believe it's largely a gimmick. People get yips, and this was one more quick fix. I think most everyone, save for very few people with physical ailments, can manage to fix their putting with a conventional club. Granted, pros maybe don't have the luxury of time to wait until they've solved their putting woes, but that's the breaks. That's why this game is so hard, and why skill (and longevity of skill) is so prized.

Nothing in the swing is done at the expense of balance.

I have no problem with the long putter. It'll just make it that much sweeter when I putt your ass into the ground with my weird-looking antique. Last season I had to steel wool the shaft to remove some rust.

rusrus

Stand Bag: Grom
Driver: R5 Dual
Irons (3-P): 735CM StainlessWedge 52: FEEL DesignerWedge 56: FEEL DesignerWedge 60: FEEL DesignerPutter: Natalie 35"

Who cares what its made of! The fact is its basically a fixed point, it doesn't take nearly as much skill to be a good putter with a long putter.

If you think a belly putter takes less skill, then go use one.

I don't see what advantage they provide. Some people like them, others don't. Every time a person switches to a belly putter, there is likely somebody else switching from a belly putter back to a traditional putter.

What's in the bag
Driver: FTI
3W: 15 Degree
2H: X
4I-7I: X-188I, 9I, PW: X-Forged52 Deg: Vokey Oil Can, all rusted out56 Deg: Vokey, Chrome 60 Deg: Black PearlPutter: Catalina Two

If you think a belly putter takes less skill, then go use one.

Right. If the belly putters are so darn great, why do people like Vijay and Sergio keep going back and forth. You still have to read it right, line it up and knock the ball in the hole.

Els was crying about them a few years ago, but I bet he could not putt any better with a long putter, so what's the point? SubPar

I personally, don't have a problem with the long putters. I agree with the above post, you still have to line it up and put it in the hole. Its not like you're straddling the ball.

And I don't think its much of an advantage when you have it against your body. Its still a fulcrum, you're still working a pendulum, you have to figure proper speed/lag and line. Never tried one because it looks more difficult to me.

• Administrator
And I don't think its much of an advantage when you have it against your body. Its still a fulcrum, you're still working a pendulum, you have to figure proper speed/lag and line. Never tried one because it looks more difficult to me.

What's still a fulcrum? Your belly? That doesn't happen with a regular putter. There is no fulcrum, no anchoring.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

No, Billy Mayfair needs every last piece of help he can get. And also, if a guy can carry a putter thats looks like a space station, why cant he have a longer putter too?

Because of the reason that iacus explained.

In my bag:

Driver: SQ 9.5, Graphite Stiff Shaft
3 Wood: Diablo 13 degree, Stiff Shaft
2 Hybrid: SQ 18 degree, Steel Stiff ShaftIrons: MP-30, 3-PWSW: 56* Vokey Copper spin-milledFW 52* VokeyFlat Stick Zing 2Ball: Pro V1x

Note: This thread is 5840 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!