IGNORED

Why play a 95 gram graphite shaft?

MNGopher
Note: This thread is 2726 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I noticed that on Golf Deals and Steals they have a set of Taylormade RocketBladez Max graphite irons on sale.  http://golfdealsandsteals.com/taylormade-rocketbladez-max-iron-set-graphite-4-aw/

The shaft is a custom graphite Matrix Ozik Program F15, 95.  

I like my current graphite irons that have a 65 gram shaft.  I thought part of the reason you played graphite shafts is because they are lighter.  What is the advantage of a 95 graphite shaft vs. a 95 steel shaft?  Why not just offer those irons in steel and be able to charge less?   I guess I'm not sure why someone would want that heavy of a shaft in graphite (and not just buy them in steel).

I'm a golf novice when it comes the science behind shafts, weights, etc. (so go easy on me with your answers)

Thanks in advance for any advice you can give me.

Graphite shafts are supposed to be easier on your joints than steel.  And they have a different feel which some people may like.  So that's why.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Several decent over-50 golfers I know are switching from steel iron shafts, to graphite or steel-fiber. A common reason is recurring wrist and tennis or golfers elbow problems. As @allencnoted, graphite is easier on the tendons.

Also, a lot of engineering work has been done the last couple of years on graphite shafts for irons. In 2013, I tried some 75-gram graphite iron shaft, and they felt like feathers. More recently, demo day tests showed me some circa-75 gram shafts that really felt solid and well-balanced.

As an example, look at Mamiya's 15 options in Recoil Shaft models.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/25/2016 at 8:51 PM, WUTiger said:

Several decent over-50 golfers I know are switching from steel iron shafts, to graphite or steel-fiber. A common reason is recurring wrist and tennis or golfers elbow problems. As @allencnoted, graphite is easier on the tendons.

Also, a lot of engineering work has been done the last couple of years on graphite shafts for irons. In 2013, I tried some 75-gram graphite iron shaft, and they felt like feathers. More recently, demo day tests showed me some circa-75 gram shafts that really felt solid and well-balanced.

As an example, look at Mamiya's 15 options in Recoil Shaft models.

Recoils are good iron shafts. I thought about picking up another set of EXi's with Recoils.

To answer the OP burning question... Graphite dampens vibration more tham steel shafts. There is similar shock in hitting a shot with steel and graphite. Graphite dampens it more... 

Even when both shafts have a similar mass.... The material that they are made of determines the amount of shock you receive.

Some years ago, True Temper made a Dynamic Gold line with something called Sensicore. Basically a fancy word for shock absorber.

So simply put, more shock absorption is the reason for playing a 95 gram graphite shaft over lightweight steel.

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

On 9/21/2016 at 0:31 PM, MNGopher said:

I noticed that on Golf Deals and Steals they have a set of Taylormade RocketBladez Max graphite irons on sale.  http://golfdealsandsteals.com/taylormade-rocketbladez-max-iron-set-graphite-4-aw/

The shaft is a custom graphite Matrix Ozik Program F15, 95.  

I like my current graphite irons that have a 65 gram shaft.  I thought part of the reason you played graphite shafts is because they are lighter.  What is the advantage of a 95 graphite shaft vs. a 95 steel shaft?  Why not just offer those irons in steel and be able to charge less?   I guess I'm not sure why someone would want that heavy of a shaft in graphite (and not just buy them in steel).

I'm a golf novice when it comes the science behind shafts, weights, etc. (so go easy on me with your answers)

Thanks in advance for any advice you can give me.

It's all about swingweight (and a little about stiffness). If your irons have higher-mass heads (game improvement or hybrid-style irons), a shaft that's too light will make the club feel toe-heavy and it'll be harder to control your ball-striking. Graphite shafts can vary in stiffness more than steel for the same weight, but all other things being equal, a heavier shaft can more easily be made stiffer, so if your swing is strong enough for stiff flex you will likely end up with a slightly heavier shaft too.

Note: This thread is 2726 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!