IGNORED

Alternative to driver off the tee

Note: This thread is 2720 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I had problems with the driver too. I was a terrible slicer. Then one day I decided to roll up my sleeves and force myself to learn how to hit it. I went to the driving range with only my driver and hit large buckets a few times a week for a month. 

No lessons. No distractions. But I did watch a few YouTube videos about driver swing. I eventually got it down half way through the month after a lot of buckets and used the remaining two weeks to cement my muscle memory. 

I carry about 225 yards fairly straight with a very light fade, consistently. My driver has an adjustable loft set at 11*. And I STILL get the occasional zinger if I break my concentration.

The point of my story is to stick with it and you'll eventually nail your driver down. It just takes time and commitment. Don't try to replace it with another club even if it is only temporary because you're only postponing the inevitable. Besides the next closest club for distance is the 3 wood and that's not any easier to hit with either.

• Upvote 1

My key to consistency with a driver was choking up a bit.  Almost to the bottom of the grip.  I have to concentrate on watching the club head meet the ball and a long follow through.  Tempo and moderate hand grip are key.  Tension(squeezing the grip) speeds up my swing as well as shortening up my back swing and follow through.  

• Upvote 1

On October 13, 2016 at 4:34 PM, Al Bundy said:

I had problems with the driver too. I was a terrible slicer. Then one day I decided to roll up my sleeves and force myself to learn how to hit it. I went to the driving range with only my driver and hit large buckets a few times a week for a month. 

No lessons. No distractions. But I did watch a few YouTube videos about driver swing. I eventually got it down half way through the month after a lot of buckets and used the remaining two weeks to cement my muscle memory. 

I carry about 225 yards fairly straight with a very light fade, consistently. My driver has an adjustable loft set at 11*. And I STILL get the occasional zinger if I break my concentration.

The point of my story is to stick with it and you'll eventually nail your driver down. It just takes time and commitment. Don't try to replace it with another club even if it is only temporary because you're only postponing the inevitable. Besides the next closest club for distance is the 3 wood and that's not any easier to hit with either.

It's disheartening to carry the ball 225 yards and see your PP drive it 320 yards 

Then again my PP is the head pro at my club and he's 20 years younger and has played college golf 

• Upvote 1

On 10/6/2016 at 4:07 PM, TomBomb said:

Thanks for all the advice. I just ordered an Adams Tight Lies 2 5 wood. I got it dirt cheap - €60 brand new. Why are Adams clubs so cheap?

So how do you like this club? I see some on eBay for $39 and I'm considering it.

On 10/13/2016 at 4:34 PM, Al Bundy said:

I agree with this. Maybe have the 5 Wood for bad driver days. But virtually all my friends use their driver. I don't want to look like I'm afraid of it.

I use old Taylor Made clubs from eBay and golf shops.

6 hours ago, gregsandiego said:

So how do you like this club? I see some on eBay for $39 and I'm considering it.

I agree with this. Maybe have the 5 Wood for bad driver days. But virtually all my friends use their driver. I don't want to look like I'm afraid of it.

It's a nice looking club and it reviews very well, but I can't hit it consistently yet. it bends less than my 3 hybrid, but still too much to use on the course. I only hit about 10 balls though. I think my next lesson will be devoted to it.

Welcome to the game, sounds like you are off to a good start.  Sorry for the late response, just joined yesterday. 

As others have said it sounds like practice is your primary need. I say this because you say you hit your driver well when you connect, you just don't have the consistency, and to some extent the same applies with your long irons. 

Drivers, fairway woods, and long irons require a flatter plane to hit well. A good way to practice this is by hitting your 3 wood at the range, not teed up, but on the grass. This will force you to start a lower takeaway on the backswing and as you swing through the ball try to imagine the club extending a few inches in front of the ball after you hit it. If this is still difficult at first try teeing your 3 wood but very low to the ground, then gradually remove the tee as you gain confidence. Once you get the swing plane flattened so that you hit a fairway wood well you should start to have more success with the driver and long irons. 

Sorry to hear you sold the 10.5 loft driver. Based on what you have stated, with practice you could probably even use a 9 degree loft. Others may disagree on this but from my experience loft issues are more related to attack angle as opposed to clubhead clubhead speed.

Lastly, it sure sounds like you are making quick progress. Don't let anyone tell you the equipment is the issue until you have given yourself plenty of time to get the fundamentals down through continuous practice.  

1 hour ago, Lagavulin62 said:

Drivers, fairway woods, and long irons require a flatter plane to hit well. A good way to practice this is by hitting your 3 wood at the range, not teed up, but on the grass. This will force you to start a lower takeaway on the backswing and as you swing through the ball try to imagine the club extending a few inches in front of the ball after you hit it. If this is still difficult at first try teeing your 3 wood but very low to the ground, then gradually remove the tee as you gain confidence. Once you get the swing plane flattened so that you hit a fairway wood well you should start to have more success with the driver and long irons. 

Sorry to hear you sold the 10.5 loft driver. Based on what you have stated, with practice you could probably even use a 9 degree loft. Others may disagree on this but from my experience loft issues are more related to attack angle as opposed to clubhead clubhead speed.

Interesting thoughts on the 3 wood drill to flatten the swing path.  I struggle with the other issue of sweeping all my clubs including iron so I never had to work on flattering my swing.  

I would disagree with you on the loft vs club head speed though.  Sure angle of attack is important but in order to gain yardage with a lower lofted driver you must have the speed.  I don't have the numbers right in front of me but if memory serves you need 100 mph to take advantage of a 10 degree, 115 to gain with a 9, and 130 for an 8.  Even at the 130 mph swing the differences between a 12 degree and a 8 degree driver is only a few yards. If you make the mistake of going the other way and playing a 8 degree driver with a 80 mph swing you give up so much carry that your 5 iron will go farther.

Note: This thread is 2720 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!