IGNORED

Neutral grip has me hitting straight irons

Note: This thread is 2749 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I've been golfing fairly regularly for 12 years or so, and never been able to figure out why I hook my irons so frequently. I started out with blades, then moved to cavity-backs to try and help get rid of the hook, which it did more or less. 

I recently picked up an old partial set of Haig Ultra irons (not sure how old they are, maybe early '70's), because someone stuck a 2 iron in my bag earlier in the Summer and I couldn't believe how well I hit it. I initially thought it would be good for getting out of trouble under trees, but then I hit it from the fairway a few times and that was it.

That said, I took them out last weekend and realized that my old hooking problem would pop up again, once I started playing anything from a 5 iron down. So, I did what you're not supposed to do, made adjustments during a game. I tried weakening my grip gradually till I had a neutral grip from my 8 iron down and bingo, it worked. I always figured it was a problem with my swing mechanics, but the grip change worked all day.

I was always told to use a strong grip so I never thought of changing it. Has anyone else heard of doing this to fix a hook?

In the bag: TaylorMade R5 Duel driver (44", Senior-flex), Namura 19* 3 Hybrid, Stiff, Cougar X-CAT 26* 5 hybrid, Wilson K-28 irons 6-PW, Wilson Harmonized Gap (52) and Sand (55) Wedges, Blade Runner II putter.

never mind. I was going to make a few suggestions, but I will leave that up to those more qualified.

Edited by Hacker James

"James"

:titleist: 913 D3 with Aldila RIP Phenom 60 4,2 Regular Shaft,  :touredge: Exotics XCG-7 Beta 3W with Matrix Red Tie Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX8 19 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3 Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX9 28 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3  shaft, / Bobby Jones Black 22 deg Hybrid:touredge: Exotics EXi 6 -PW  w UST Mamiya Recoil F2 Shaft, SW (56),GW (52),LW (60):touredge:  TGS),/ ODDYSEE Metal-X #7 customized putter (400G, cut down Mid Belly)

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I use a some what nuetral grip myself. Found it the same way you did by tinkering with my grip. Eventually I found the right grip position that gave me the correct club face alignment at ball impact........for my swing. 

I have seen golfers hit really good shots, consistently, with both strong and weak grips. No reason something in between the two won't work when used with the right swing. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

(edited)

I'm basically using three grips: strong on my woods and long irons, half-way from strong to neutral on my mid irons and neutral on my short irons. So far, it's working.

Edited by BigBaffy

In the bag: TaylorMade R5 Duel driver (44", Senior-flex), Namura 19* 3 Hybrid, Stiff, Cougar X-CAT 26* 5 hybrid, Wilson K-28 irons 6-PW, Wilson Harmonized Gap (52) and Sand (55) Wedges, Blade Runner II putter.

Grip is a very individual matter, provided that it's not off the charts strong or weak it will tend to get the job done. I know that I myself have a strong left hand grip paired with a neutral right handed grip, which is comfortable and works for me. I would be slightly wary about changing your grip depending on the club you're hitting, but it seems to be a decent temporary fix for you at least.

On 10/7/2016 at 8:58 PM, BigBaffy said:

I've been golfing fairly regularly for 12 years or so, and never been able to figure out why I hook my irons so frequently. I started out with blades, then moved to cavity-backs to try and help get rid of the hook, which it did more or less. 

I recently picked up an old partial set of Haig Ultra irons (not sure how old they are, maybe early '70's), because someone stuck a 2 iron in my bag earlier in the Summer and I couldn't believe how well I hit it. I initially thought it would be good for getting out of trouble under trees, but then I hit it from the fairway a few times and that was it.

That said, I took them out last weekend and realized that my old hooking problem would pop up again, once I started playing anything from a 5 iron down. So, I did what you're not supposed to do, made adjustments during a game. I tried weakening my grip gradually till I had a neutral grip from my 8 iron down and bingo, it worked. I always figured it was a problem with my swing mechanics, but the grip change worked all day.

I was always told to use a strong grip so I never thought of changing it. Has anyone else heard of doing this to fix a hook?

Well, a strong grip (thumbs shifted toward your trailing side; right for a rightie, left for a southpaw) is going to encourage you to close the clubface at impact as you turn your hands over. If the face is too far closed, you'll hook it every time, no real surprise there.

Are you sure you were told to use a strong grip on irons? Strengthening your grip is a common solution to the beginner's high slice with the driver, but AFAIK most instructors lean toward starting with a neutral grip on your irons, since the basic setup is much more centered.

Well, I've never really had a golf lesson, just what I picked up from reading and playing with other golfers. But yes, it was to fight a slice. I never really thought that swinging shorter clubs would cause the face to close more quickly, but I can see now how that might be. I still use a strong grip on my 2 iron, and my 4 iron is about half-way between a strong and neutral grip.

• Administrator
8 hours ago, Liko81 said:

Well, a strong grip (thumbs shifted toward your trailing side; right for a rightie, left for a southpaw) is going to encourage you to close the clubface at impact as you turn your hands over. If the face is too far closed, you'll hook it every time, no real surprise there.

I don't really agree with that. Often, people with stronger grips push the ball more and have slower rates of clubface rotation.

Consider, for example, Zach Johnson.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I have to agree. There are other things that can cause a close club face, primarily club path. Grip has a small influence and it depends on the golfer. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

On 10/9/2016 at 0:20 AM, Pretzel said:

Grip is a very individual matter, provided that it's not off the charts strong or weak it will tend to get the job done.

Yeah...I think this probably sums it up. Also, different players are going to feel comfortable (or uncomfortable) with very different grips. 

- John

Well, I just hope my grip change has the same results next season. I was out again and it held up, but you know what golf's like. Next time I might slice every shot.

Note: This thread is 2749 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!