IGNORED

New iron concerns

Note: This thread is 2745 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I bought a set of Taylor Made's after going through the fitting process. The first thing I noticed was a bit of vibration in my wedge. If you tapped the butt of the shaft on the ground while holding the head you could feel it. But it doesn't seem to impact the results. Then the head of my 7 iron flew off yesterday. No prior warning, it just flew 60 yards down the fairway on my follow through. Bringing them  back this  weekend. Do I ask just to replace those two? get a whole new set of TM's? Go in another direction altogether?

This was a big investment for me, a bit disappointed with flaws on two of the 7 clubs.

Edited by Papa Steve 55

Which iron set from TM and where did you buy them?  If it was me, I'd want to return the set for a replacement set as I'd be constantly worrying about what else would go wrong with them.  I don't think the experience warrants you switching to new models or brands but whoever put that set together might have been hungover.  

Joe Paradiso

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 hour ago, Papa Steve 55 said:

get a whole new set of TM's?

TM will replace the entire set. I had a couple of friends who had clubs come off and told them to contact TM customer support.
They received new clubs within a few days and TM didn't want his clubs returned which really surprised me, but I was like Wow that was quick service. Kudos's for TM customers service.

Johnny Rocket - Let's Rock and Roll and play some golf !!!

WOW!  That's not good.  Curious as to what model irons you bought and where you got them?

I would want a new set as like you, I would be worried on every shot that another head is gonna go flying down the fairway.

It would be cool if they sent you another set and didn't want the old ones back!

Good luck with the exchange and keep us posted as to what happens.

Driver: :callaway: Diablo
Woods: :callaway: Big Bertha 2 & 4
Irons: Miura MC 102's 3 - PW & Mizuno MP 67's 3 - W
Wedges: :mizuno: MP-R12 52* & 58*
Putters: :ping: WRX Ti4

Thanks for the replies. They are M2's. The pro shop I got them at did the fitting, but TM did the assembly. I'm going to ask that they all be replaced. I would the think the pro shop would give me a loaner set till they come back.

It happens even with major brand clubs. Could have been a bad batch of epoxy or any number of things.

I know a golf pro whose course has hosted scrambles I've played in. He does quite a bit of clubfitting, and he says he always does a free "loft and lie" check on irons he orders for his golfers. He says there's always an iron or two that are enough out of tolerance he bends them to spec before giving them to the player.

-----------------------------------

Caution on heads flying off: If your do a reshaft, make sure the reshafter cleans out the iron hosels with a wire brush before inserting new shaft.  Otherwise, old epoxy debris can prevent a good epoxy seal on the new shaft. I had a reshafted set cleaned and reglued after one head flew off and other shafts started turning in the hosel.  

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

I've had an absolute nightmare with Callaway. Bought the XR irons custom fitted and I had 3 5 irons crack on me. They eventually swapped them for the steelheads and now the 6 iron had a rattle in the head so that's away back too. I'm really paranoid about hitting them now.

So I was given loaners for the damaged 7 and wedge. They are going to replace the set, and promise me they will put one of their best on it and double check it before it goes out. They do want the old ones back, but the pro shop will handle that end.

Hopefully this will be the end of it.

Note: This thread is 2745 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!