IGNORED

Best budget complete golf set

coastrat
Note: This thread is 2699 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hello y'all, new member here.

I am poor golfer (25+ handicap) seeking to better my game. 

Currently, the clubs I own and use are a cheap, $140.00 complete set from Academy Sports. These clubs suit me well as of this moment, as I'm mostly trying to correct my horrendous hook and become a more consistent ball striker.

Nonetheless, with Christmas on the way, I'd like to purchase some quality golf clubs which will further my goals: to get my handicap down to 15 by the end of 2017.

What complete sets do y'all recommend at a $250.00 or below price point? If there is a way to avoid a complete set, and piece together a quality bag of clubs for less than $300.00, I'd be interested in that too.

Also, if you recommend any free online tutorials, please share.

For the record, I'm a lefty and about 6'1.

Thanks in advance, and I look forward to your responses.

7 minutes ago, coastrat said:

What complete sets do y'all recommend at a $250.00 or below price point? If there is a way to avoid a complete set, and piece together a quality bag of clubs for less than $300.00, I'd be interested in that too.

For $300, I think you're better off getting a used set of good irons and a driver. If you go onto Ebay, you'll find many sets of very good game improvement irons for $200 or less. You'll have fewer choices since you're lefty, but you'll find something. Same with a driver for $100.

12 minutes ago, coastrat said:

That's easy, you've come to the right place. Check out:

• Upvote 1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

5 minutes ago, chspeed said:

For $300, I think you're better off getting a used set of good irons and a driver. If you go onto Ebay, you'll find many sets of very good game improvement irons for $200 or less. You'll have fewer choices since you're lefty, but you'll find something. Same with a driver for $100.

That's easy, you've come to the right place. Check out:

Thanks bud. 

I'll look into the eBay used club selection.

I second that comment - I bought my current set (Adams Super S 5-PW) off of Ebay in like new condition for $85 shipped.  Lefty clubs may even be cheaper.  I know the Adams brand isn't as sexy as a Titleist or Mizuno set, but I couldn't be happier with the clubs.  

In my opinion, drivers don't make a ton of difference, as long as you have a decent swing. You may be better of buying a used 3 or 4 wood to use from the teebox and the fairway to get comfortable with, then find a used driver that fits your liking after you're comfortable with your other new clubs.

WITB:
TM R580 9.5* Driver /  Adams Tight Lies 16* FW /  Adams 9031 18* 3H / Adams A7 4H 22* / Adams Super S 5-PW / Adams CB3 GW 49* / Pinemeadow AW 52* / Vokey SW 56* / Ping Pal Putter

also you might wish to check out Top Flight. They have a decent set including Driver, 3W,4H, 5H, 6-PW for under $300 including a bag. I bought one and later on "gifted" it to my grandson.

"James"

:titleist: 913 D3 with Aldila RIP Phenom 60 4,2 Regular Shaft,  :touredge: Exotics XCG-7 Beta 3W with Matrix Red Tie Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX8 19 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3 Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX9 28 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3  shaft, / Bobby Jones Black 22 deg Hybrid:touredge: Exotics EXi 6 -PW  w UST Mamiya Recoil F2 Shaft, SW (56),GW (52),LW (60):touredge:  TGS),/ ODDYSEE Metal-X #7 customized putter (400G, cut down Mid Belly)

1 hour ago, coastrat said:

Hello y'all, new member here.

I am poor golfer (25+ handicap) seeking to better my game. 

Currently, the clubs I own and use are a cheap, $140.00 complete set from Academy Sports. These clubs suit me well as of this moment, as I'm mostly trying to correct my horrendous hook and become a more consistent ball striker.

Nonetheless, with Christmas on the way, I'd like to purchase some quality golf clubs which will further my goals: to get my handicap down to 15 by the end of 2017.

I am going to say the same as everyone else, your better off getting good quality used clubs. However, if you have your heart set on new clubs, look no further than Benross, that's if they are available in your country. basically they are Callaways. 

In my bag (Motocaddy Light)

Taylormade Burner driver, Taylormade 4 wood, 3 x Ping Karsten Hybrids, 6-SW Ping Karsten irons with reg flex graphite shafts. Odyssey putter, 20 Bridgestone e6 balls, 2 water balls for the 5th hole, loads of tees, 2 golf gloves, a couple of hand warmers, cleaning towel, 5 ball markers, 2 pitch mark repairers, some aspirin, 3 hats, set of waterproofs, an umbrella, a pair of gaiters, 2 pairs of glasses. Christ, it's amazing I can pick the bloody thing up !!

I'd second what someone mentioned earlier about Adams. Someone suggested them to me when I wanted to replace most of my set but I only had a small budget. I'm happy with what I have and there are lots of great deals out there.

DRIVER- Tour Edge EXS 220
3W- Adams Tight Lies 2
Hybrids- Cobra F8 19 *

Utility- Sub 70 699U #4
Irons - Sub 70 739 5-PW
Wedges- Tour Edge CB Pro 50, 54, 58
Putter- Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft #11

Ball- Titleist DT Trufeel

4 hours ago, chilepepper said:

I'd put the money towards lessons not clubs at this point. That will go further to reducing your handicap

I've been looking into that as well. One of the best courses in my area offers six lessons from one (or more) of three PGA Class A pros for $300.00. The nearest course to my house offers three lessons for $180.00.

I still may buy a new complete set rather than a "piecemeal set," as it will be slightly less inexpensive. Any quality complete sets you recommend? Callaway is a name I'm familiar with, as is Top Flite. What about Wilson?

1 hour ago, coastrat said:

I've been looking into that as well. One of the best courses in my area offers six lessons from one (or more) of three PGA Class A pros for $300.00. The nearest course to my house offers three lessons for $180.00.

I still may buy a new complete set rather than a "piecemeal set," as it will be slightly less inexpensive. Any quality complete sets you recommend? Callaway is a name I'm familiar with, as is Top Flite. What about Wilson?

If at all possible go to a shop if you have any near you. Most decent golf shops will have hitting bays , some with monitors, where you can try out clubs. There's a golf mart near me that sells new and used clubs. Go hit some different irons. See how they feel and look.  It will give you a good idea what works for you. 

I'd look at your current bag and decide what you need/want to replace first and do it in stages. Like others have said, shopping used will get you more club for your $. I just got into playing again and badly needed to upgrade the contents of my bag, this is what I just did...

1 - Irons. Research the Ping color chart a little and figure out which color code best fits you. Then hit eBay or a good resale shop (like Club Finders) and find you a nice set of Eye 2 irons for $200 or less. It's a easy system to use to get used clubs that fit you and there are an abundance of these sets available. I actually inherited my old Eyes from my grandfather...you can get them much easier today. ;)

2 - Woods. This was next for me, if your current irons are playable, you may start with a driver and fairway woods. I went to Club Finders and bought my G5s (D, 5w, 7w) one at a time for $50-70 each. One man's trash is another man's treasure, I love these clubs and occasionally out drive guys with newer, more expensive drivers.

3 - Wedges. After much thought and advice, I decided to go cheap here since I am playing with a 56* and 60* for the first time. I bought a pair of Rock Bottom's Ray Cook brand Blue Goose wedges and after playing 18 Par  3 with them, I like them so much that I am think going to take the 3i out of my bag and get a matching 52*. Bought these on their "open box" special for $30 ea but again, lots of good used deals to be had too.

4 - Putter, I just put a new oversized grip on my old putter. But again, there are a LOT of options on ebay and other sources.

5 - Grips and new bag! Now that I have my bag together, time to regrip 'em all to match and play!

Based on your post, I don't know if a $300 "complete set" would be much of an improvement over your current setup. But if I am not reading this right and you're looking to get a complete set deal, I just got a great deal on a Lynx woman's starter set for my wife and they're well made for the money (currently priced at $299, I got them for $169 at Golfsmith). Lynx and Zevo are/were Golf Smith's "store brand" for less and seem to be a good value. You may be able to score these cheap in the next few weeks as Dick's will likely liquidate these lines.

Other stores have their own "store brands" for the complete set on a budget niche'..Dick's has Top Flight sets in that range, Rock Bottom's line is Ray Cook in this price range (check out the open box specials).

You can also check out the "clone" companies like Pinemeadow, Giga, or Diamond Tour but these may not be USGA conforming if you want to play competitively.

I think you're better off taking your time and shopping used gear. I was able to put together a respectable bag over about 6 months and have made major improvements over my old pawn shop Dunlap set I bought in my 20s...playing better and with more confidence than ever. 

Good luck.

Edited by Joey G

:ping:   Ping G30 - Driver       

Ping G Series - 3w & 5w 

Ping G5 - 7w & 5-PW

Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 52*, 56*, 60*

Ping Sigma 2 Fetch putter

8 hours ago, coastrat said:

You will get a set of Benross clubs made to fit for around your budget. Benross clubs are made in the Callaway factory. I think you will find that all the other budget clubs are standard lie only

In my bag (Motocaddy Light)

Taylormade Burner driver, Taylormade 4 wood, 3 x Ping Karsten Hybrids, 6-SW Ping Karsten irons with reg flex graphite shafts. Odyssey putter, 20 Bridgestone e6 balls, 2 water balls for the 5th hole, loads of tees, 2 golf gloves, a couple of hand warmers, cleaning towel, 5 ball markers, 2 pitch mark repairers, some aspirin, 3 hats, set of waterproofs, an umbrella, a pair of gaiters, 2 pairs of glasses. Christ, it's amazing I can pick the bloody thing up !!

I was in your spot a few years ago and started with a RAM setup as I didn't know if I would like golf.  Cost me $200 for the whole 9 yards.  Ended up loving golf and now I have tons of clubs.

$300 is not a ton of money for a whole setup if you want to stay away from something similar to what you currently have.  Other posters have put up good ideas for you to follow.  Being a Lefty is what will limit you the most.  If you are not sure if your lengths, lies and grip sizes are correct Ping has a great system to help you find what does fit you and you can always use the info for other clubs.  From a Ping fitting I know that I want 1" longer clubs and 1 degree upright.  Now when I browse on the Bay I look for stick that fit those two details.  Makes used shopping a lot easier.

There are plenty of good deals out there.  Be patient and keep looking.  Online, used stores and word of mouth.  Good luck to you and I hope you get a nice setup that works for you.

Driver: :callaway: Diablo
Woods: :callaway: Big Bertha 2 & 4
Irons: Miura MC 102's 3 - PW & Mizuno MP 67's 3 - W
Wedges: :mizuno: MP-R12 52* & 58*
Putters: :ping: WRX Ti4

In my opinion you are much better off going used.  Also stay away from the big 3 Calloway, Taylormade and Ping.  Pings are great clubs but they hold their value which means you are paying a premium.

The suggestion of going with Adams is a great one.  Also don't dismiss Wilson C and D series.  For a 25 hdcp anything from a Di7 to the current D offering are very good clubs and not expensive.  The other suggestion would be Cobra, especially drivers and fairways.  Some even have offset which will help a beginner.

You really don't need dedicated wedges, except maybe the addition of a 58/60 lob.  Most decent iron sets have wedges that will perform fine for where you are.  Once you get to a solid 15, then you can re-evaluate.

Good luck and have fun!

John

Edited by 70sSanO

I love saving $$ on clubs and I think I do a good job of it - but a full set of anything decent for $300 is a tall order!  In my opinion, though, if you're playing with a "starter" set and you got them for $180 . .. new clubs are your highest priority - even more so than lessons.  Just my opinion, of course, but you need some reasonable clubs.  

If I were going to put together the cheapest bag I could - I would definitely go with used clubs.  I would definitely not have 14 clubs . .and I'd still spend slightly more than 300. 

I'd definitely go with a used set of irons.  Something fairly decent, less than 10 years old . .should cost me right around 300.  That still leaves me needing a putter, wedges, woods, etc.  Personally . .I'd keep whatever putter you currently have . .that will save a good hundred bucks or so.  I've been using the same putter since I was 12 . .love it. 

For wedges . .I'd just get one . .to save $$.  Get a 56 degree sand wedge with a decent amount of bounce.  IE - truly a "sand" wedge. 

For woods . .I'd either go with just a 3W . . or, as I currently have, a driver and a 4W.  You can get a decent used driver for under 100. 

So for me - I'm thinking the best I could do for a "full" (full-ish) set of clubs would be right around 425-450 . .and that's IF I don't buy a putter.  But those clubs would be functionally as good as just about anything out there and I  would expect to enjoy them fully for 5+ years . .at least. 

Good luck!

Note: This thread is 2699 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!