IGNORED

Metallica new album

Valleygolfer
Note: This thread is 2644 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Anyone heard it? I have only heard a little of it. Sounds decent but is it too little too late? Few decades of marginal music and the band members ostracizing themselves done their damage?

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

3 minutes ago, Valleygolfer said:

Anyone heard it? I have only heard a little of it. Sounds decent but is it too little too late? Few decades of marginal music and the band members ostracizing themselves done their damage?

I have heard a bit here and there.
I have moved on from the "metallica" brand of metal.
I still listen to Slayer & anthrax, but years of Metallica playing lousy hard rock and trying to glorify themselves as metal & rebels, when they simply sold out to fill seats and make money, has made it easy to move on.
Not to mention I still consider Lars to the worst drummer ever to make it to the level he has!

In my Grom:

Driver-Taylormade 10.5 Woods- Taylomade 3 wood, taylormade 4 Hybrid
Irons- Callaway Big Berthas 5i - GW Wedges- Titles Volkey  Putter- Odyssey protype #9
Ball- Bridgestone E6
All grips Golf Pride

20 hours ago, Elmer said:

I have heard a bit here and there.
I have moved on from the "metallica" brand of metal.
I still listen to Slayer & anthrax, but years of Metallica playing lousy hard rock and trying to glorify themselves as metal & rebels, when they simply sold out to fill seats and make money, has made it easy to move on.
Not to mention I still consider Lars to the worst drummer ever to make it to the level he has!

I really don't listen to the old hair bands much and Metallica wasted opportunity to make decent music. They would rather fight internally, externally and isolate themselves from the music listener, instead of embracing the trend of computerized music and realizing a boot legged copy of their concert is not the same as being there.

Their music has passed but people still love newer Aerosmith stuff and go to Rolling Stones and AC/DC concerts.....so maybe the sheep will forget...

They are a weird band, they enjoyed their greatest success with the Black album and then legally pursued fans for IP theft and reverted their music style back to their older garage days.  Both decisions cost them all but their most loyal fans.  

The new release is somewhere in between their music timeline but still sounds dated because the genre has moved forward without them.  I skimmed through all their tracks on iTunes yesterday and didn't hear enough quality songs to warrant a buy.  

Joe Paradiso

1 hour ago, Valleygolfer said:

I really don't listen to the old hair bands much and Metallica wasted opportunity to make decent music. They would rather fight internally, externally and isolate themselves from the music listener, instead of embracing the trend of computerized music and realizing a boot legged copy of their concert is not the same as being there.

Their music has passed but people still love newer Aerosmith stuff and go to Rolling Stones and AC/DC concerts.....so maybe the sheep will forget...

I have a hard time taking them seriously. You cant be a thrash metal band filled with therapist using, multi millionaires.
Since the Black album they seemed more concerned with the Image of being successful and selling out concerts than being 4 guys who play metal.

Most of my favorite band give alot of their music away and they have been around for 20-30 years!

In my Grom:

Driver-Taylormade 10.5 Woods- Taylomade 3 wood, taylormade 4 Hybrid
Irons- Callaway Big Berthas 5i - GW Wedges- Titles Volkey  Putter- Odyssey protype #9
Ball- Bridgestone E6
All grips Golf Pride

I have nothing really to contribute about the new album, but they did show up on Fallon's show recently to do one of their classics. Maybe a promotional appearance for their new album? 

I love this song because my daughter sang it at rock camp one summer (many moons ago), so it's a bit of a sentimental favorite. But this version above wasn't as good as that rock camp version!

My Swing

Driver: :ping: G30, Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0, Putter: :cleveland:, Balls: :snell:

27 minutes ago, RandallT said:

I have nothing really to contribute about the new album, but they did show up on Fallon's show recently to do one of their classics. Maybe a promotional appearance for their new album? 

I love this song because my daughter sang it at rock camp one summer (many moons ago), so it's a bit of a sentimental favorite. But this version above wasn't as good as that rock camp version!

That was horrible.

They were my New go to Metal band after Iron Maiden's Seventh son album flopped.  Then they cut their hair, made that horrible Black album and sold out for $$$ not caring about the fans anymore so I have moved on and never looked back at them.  Its been years since I listened to anything from them.  I usually change the station when they come on but I am a sucker for Master cranked all the way up!

Driver: :callaway: Diablo
Woods: :callaway: Big Bertha 2 & 4
Irons: Miura MC 102's 3 - PW & Mizuno MP 67's 3 - W
Wedges: :mizuno: MP-R12 52* & 58*
Putters: :ping: WRX Ti4

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/30/2016 at 9:16 AM, Vinny Cap said:

They were my New go to Metal band after Iron Maiden's Seventh son album flopped.  Then they cut their hair, made that horrible Black album and sold out for $$$ not caring about the fans anymore so I have moved on and never looked back at them.  Its been years since I listened to anything from them.  I usually change the station when they come on but I am a sucker for Master cranked all the way up!

Seventh Son was a flop? heresy. i mean, the synthesizers were a bit off putting on first listen, but they fit with the concept of the album.

as for Hardwired....To Self Destruct it's ok. i'm more of a pre-Black fan, i.e. i like thrash with my Metallica, and this album has some.....at least as much or more than Death Magnetic. that said, there is some mid-tempo fodder on this record that could have been included on Load/Re-Load and nobody would have blinked an eye.

Lars is still mediocre at best, though James's voice is surprisingly good. 

"Halo On Fire" is probably my favorite song.
"Spit Out The Bone" is the best song they've recorded in 25 years.

At this point, Metallica has been a shitty band far longer than they've been a great band. Which is too bad, because when they were great, they were really ****ing great! 

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Death Magnetic was around the time Instarted wondering we'd rheybwere doing. St. Anger was a meh album to me, but what really pissed me off was that I had bought their albums. I had ripped them to digital and then all of a sudden I kept getting permission and licensing pop ups saying I couldn't play this track and that track etc. I got tired of trying to get authorized licenses to listen to music I had paid for the way I wanted. They took it too far and I took them off my playlists. 

I haven't bought a Metallica album since Cliff Burton died :-(.  When I think about it that is a very long time ago now!

Just about the only thing that has made me go wow in relation to Metallica in the last 30 years was finding out that Lars was married to the actress in Gladiator, and even that was probably 10 years ago.  

I might give the new tracks a listen just to see what I have been missing.

Adam

:ping: G30 Driver 

:callaway: XR16 3W
:callaway: Big Bertha 5W
:ping: S55 4-W 
:ping: 50' , 56', 60' Glide Wedge
:odyssey: White Hot #7 Putter

11 hours ago, Elrey Desol said:

Seventh Son was a flop? heresy. i mean, the synthesizers were a bit off putting on first listen, but they fit with the concept of the album.

as for Hardwired....To Self Destruct it's ok. i'm more of a pre-Black fan, i.e. i like thrash with my Metallica, and this album has some.....at least as much or more than Death Magnetic. that said, there is some mid-tempo fodder on this record that could have been included on Load/Re-Load and nobody would have blinked an eye.

To me, it was a flop.... musically.  The video was kick a$$ as they had Eddies all over the place.  I was real good at drawing him anywhere and everywhere.

I am/was pretty hardcore.  Being a drummer, my musical tastes are kinda fueled by what the drummer is doing.  Iron Maiden had their time as my main listen and Metallica did too. 

I saw Metallica in concert many times and when they were hard core metal, they were off the charts.  Black and the other albums after just didn't do it for me.

I still play them here and there in the car... currently I am on an Alice in Chains kick and they rock my ride to work and back.

Driver: :callaway: Diablo
Woods: :callaway: Big Bertha 2 & 4
Irons: Miura MC 102's 3 - PW & Mizuno MP 67's 3 - W
Wedges: :mizuno: MP-R12 52* & 58*
Putters: :ping: WRX Ti4

• 2 months later...
On 12/13/2016 at 9:04 PM, Elrey Desol said:

I have had some time listening to the album and honestly it is not something you can listen to at low volume levels to appreciate. I have to agree that "Halo on fire" is one of the best songs. I like spit out the bone as well. My true fav is "When a Blind man cries". I also love a portion of "Ronnie  Rising Melody", the song is a little bit of a mish mash of different styles but after 4:25 in, it is one of their best guitar rifts to date. Most of the songs are fairly solid and really aren't validated unless played through headphones or a loud stereo. I have to say I am liking the album a lot.

giphy.gif

On 12/13/2016 at 8:47 PM, Ernest Jones said:

At this point, Metallica has been a shitty band far longer than they've been a great band. Which is too bad, because when they were great, they were really ****ing great! 

The first time I saw them was in '85 at a little club in Wisconsin.  There was less than 100 people there.  God they were tight. Glad I got to see them with Cliff.  

Bridgestone j40 445 w/ Graphite Design AD DJ-7
Callaway Steelhead Plus 3 wood w/ RCH Pro Series 3.2
Adams Idea Pro hybrids (3 & 4) w/ Aldila VS Proto 
Bridgestone j33 CB (5-PW) w/ original Rifle 5.5
Bridgestone West Coast 52*, j40 satin 56* & 60* w/ DG S-300
Odyssey White Hot XG #9
Bridgestone B330-RX

Note: This thread is 2644 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!