IGNORED

Used clubs for beginner

Mconn116
Note: This thread is 2649 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Maybe the closest thing to getting fitted clubs in the used market is to use the Ping color code system and patiently watch Ebay for the right set of Eye2 irons. Hard to beat the quality for your dollar too.

ping_color_code_chart.pdf

:ping:   Ping G30 - Driver       

Ping G Series - 3w & 5w 

Ping G5 - 7w & 5-PW

Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 52*, 56*, 60*

Ping Sigma 2 Fetch putter

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I'll definitely look into the ping's if the Adams don't work out for me for whatever reason. Also managed to get a Nike SQ Sumo driver on eBay for $35 shipped so I'm pretty happy about that, it's been shortened to 44" so I'm not sure how much that will affect me, the burner I was using was 45" but we'll see.

OK going to be bothersome again, sorry! With what I've purchased so far this is what I have:

Adams A7os irons 4h, 5h, 6-pw, gw

Nike SQ sumo driver 460, 10.5 r flex 44"

I have my dads older mizuno blade putter which I'm not very great with but it feels pretty good so I think that's more personal error than anything so I'll probably use that for now. I know I don't need a full 14 club set to play but what should I maybe keep an eye out for to add? I also have an old sw from my dads clubs I may carry just to have it. Should I look at maybe some fairway woods or just use play what I have and fill in the gaps as I find what's missing that would help me?

3 hours ago, Mconn116 said:

I also have an old sw from my dads clubs I may carry just to have it. Should I look at maybe some fairway woods or just use play what I have and fill in the gaps as I find what's missing that would help me?

1 hour ago, Mconn116 said:

Or even possibly just going with a 4w.

You'll want a SW in your bag, and you'll want to learn to use it--how to use the bounce effectively.  The GW and PW in your set may be more like short irons than wedges, and you'll want a club to get you out of the bunkers.  I went with 56* for my SW, and I like it. (I wouldn't go with a 60*--the extra loft can be harder to handle, I've heard.)

When I was in your position just a couple years back, I started with a setup similar to what you've got (with addition of SW).  The next club I added (after a few months) was a fairway wood.  I did this for a couple reasons:  
1. I wanted something between my hybrid and driver (and it turns out I can still hit my 5W better than my 3H).
2. There were days/weeks when my swing was changing with lessons and I just couldn't get my driver under control; the fairway wood filled in very nicely off the tee.
I went with a 5W instead of a 3 or 4--easier to get good contact and get the ball in the air when I demoed it in the store. YMMV.

Craig
What's in the :ogio: Silencer bag (on the :clicgear: cart)
Driver: :callaway: Razr Fit 10.5°  
5 Wood: :tmade: Burner  
Hybrid: :cobra: Baffler DWS 20°
Irons: :ping: G400 
Wedge: :ping: Glide 2.0 54° ES grind 
Putter: :heavyputter:  midweight CX2
:aimpoint:,  :bushnell: Tour V4

58 minutes ago, Mconn116 said:

The SW i have is am older one that's pretty well beat up and is 60*. I'll keep an eye out for a newer one and make that my next addition, thanks!

Cleveland CG-14.

Added: Standard 2 dot bounce.

John

Edited by 70sSanO

I was in your place a few months ago. I got very lucky with a set of Ping i/3 irons--white dot. I'm taller so the shaft length was perfect. I have since reshafted with graphite shafts and new mid-size grips. I wouldn't trade these clubs for brand new. They fit me perfectly. Look into finding a good set of used Pings. I highly recommend getting new grips on anything you do buy. Golf Galaxy has lots you can test. Very much worth the money.

Wayne

Ha.   I always catch these threads too late. I was about 10 when I got a set similar to the pic you posted of that Jack Nicklaus club. Unless it's rusted out nothing wrong with those.  Pay no attention to those that tell you this club or that club you can't play etc.  The only one that knows is you. What feels good to you is what you need to use. If you stick with clubs like that pic and spend your money on practice you will pick up the game quickly.  Good luck. 

Ha.   I always catch these threads too late. I was about 10 when I got a set similar to the pic you posted of that Jack Nicklaus club. Unless it's rusted out nothing wrong with those.  Pay no attention to those that tell you this club or that club you can't play etc.  The only one that knows is you. What feels good to you is what you need to use. If you stick with clubs like that pic and spend your money on practice you will pick up the game quickly.  Good luck. 

Been hitting the range every couple of days and the gold bears are anything but easy to hit, just doesn't feel comfortable. Granted my swing is far from consistent, but I'm excited to try out the new Adams set I have coming this week.

When I started my brother in law gave me a used set of wilson pro staff's. Used them for three years. Couldn't hit worth s--- but loved playing. Practice and lessons and time on the course got  me hitting a bit better. Then I got fitted for a set of irons and wedges two years ago. Practice and more time on the course is making the difference. 

• 2 weeks later...

Just an update on how my bags shaping up.

Bag: Ogio tyro cart bag

Driver: Nike SQ sumo, the rounded one not the square

Fairway wood: Tour Edge Exotics Trilogy 16.5* 4w

Hybrids/Irons: tour edge 19* 3h

Adams a7os 4h,5h, 6-PW,GW

Still looking for a sw, thinking a 56* higher bounce will be the ticket for me

Putter: using my dads old mizuno 0704 blade putter, may upgrade though

• 2 weeks later...

You just learning the game so I'd steer clear of blades. I'd go with a couple year old set of game improvement irons. One off the top of my head would be Taylor made  burner 2.0. You can pick up a set of these for 150-175 bucks.  I just traded a set of these in last year and they hit great for someone just learning the game.

Also, I would invest in some lessons. Your game will improve faster and you will enjoy it even more as you see your scores start to drop. I done this three years ago when I started playing again and went from a 20+ handicap to a 9 handicap this year. Had my best round ever with burner 2.0 shot a 2 under 68.

i went to titleist 714 ap2 because I want to start leaning to shape shots. 

Edited by kwjewell67

Note: This thread is 2649 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!