IGNORED

Used clubs for beginner

Mconn116
Note: This thread is 2670 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hey guys so new here and pretty new to golf. Anyways my experience is very low and I'm still learning the game, recently got married and the guys in the family golf regularly and took me out and even though I didn't do the greatest I had a blast, which brings me to now. I've been using my dads old wilson clubs which I'm guessing are from the 90s, possibly earlier (has wooden woods). I'm looking to get a more modern set, I plan on going to the range maybe weekly (possibly playing 18 holes a month) and taking some lessons but would like a set of my own clubs. Basically my question is I'm looking for recommendations on clubs to get me started. I'll be buying used due to being on a very tight budget and probably won't need a full set to start, I'd honestly rather take the money I save and spend on range balls. So any suggestions for a used iron set that's forgiving but not so forgiving that I develop bad habits? I'm thinking 6-PW, SW, 5h, driver, 5w, and I'll just use my dad's old mizuno putter, will also be picking up a new bag as his old heavy leather bag has seen better days. Also, I'm 25, 5'11" and fairly strong but swing a little slower as i'm more focused on form rather than killing the ball for now.

Thanks in advance guys!

Also, what's everyone's thoughts on used sites like 3ballls, 2ndswing, or even eBay. Keep in mind I don't need top of the line clubs, just good clubs to get me started and I can start replacing as my game improves and it's warranted.

2 hours ago, Mconn116 said:

Also, what's everyone's thoughts on used sites like 3ballls, 2ndswing, or even eBay. Keep in mind I don't need top of the line clubs, just good clubs to get me started and I can start replacing as my game improves and it's warranted.

I use Ebay a lot. I am a big advocate of value golf. I got a Ping G5 driver for £35 (harldy used), John Letters TR47 3h for £40 and a set of Hippo Beast Bi Metal irons 3-SW (nearly new condition) for £40 to replace sum Di9 irons that were waaaay to light for me.

For ebay just make sure you read the seller reviews and dont be afraid to email them questions on the clubs, or as in the case of the Hippos, if they are willing to drop the price if its a buy now sale.

Russ, from "sunny" Yorkshire = :-( 

In the bag: Driver: Ping G5 , Woods:Dunlop NZ9, 4 Hybrid: Tayormade Burner, 4-SW: Hippo Beast Bi-Metal , Wedges: Wilson 1200, Putter: Cleveland Smartsquare Blade, Ball: AD333

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I second using eBay. I've had much more success finding better prices there than on the two sites you mentioned. I've never bought anything from Rockbottom Golf but have seen good prices there on equipment. The last bit of advice I'd give since you have a tight budget don't buy anything before you can demo it. You want to make sure a club works for you before you spend money on it. 

DRIVER- Tour Edge EXS 220
3W- Adams Tight Lies 2
Hybrids- Cobra F8 19 *

Utility- Sub 70 699U #4
Irons - Sub 70 739 5-PW
Wedges- Tour Edge CB Pro 50, 54, 58
Putter- Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft #11

Ball- Titleist DT Trufeel

Agree with the others but you should go to a store and hit some used clubs... you can get some decent deals there but at least you get to hit them before you buy.  You can also get an idea of what you like, after hitting them and then browse on Ebay or Craigslist to save some more money.

It looks like you got the bug so you might want to think of saving up a bit extra and spending a little more on some good sticks. I like my gear and I play Ping, Callaway, Miura and Mizuno.

Good luck to you and let us know what you end up getting.

Driver: :callaway: Diablo
Woods: :callaway: Big Bertha 2 & 4
Irons: Miura MC 102's 3 - PW & Mizuno MP 67's 3 - W
Wedges: :mizuno: MP-R12 52* & 58*
Putters: :ping: WRX Ti4

2 hours ago, Vinny Cap said:

Agree with the others but you should go to a store and hit some used clubs... you can get some decent deals there but at least you get to hit them before you buy.

eBay would be OK for getting extra clubs once you learn the game.

But for the short run, ask your friends about a decent golf shop in your area. Golf shops get lots of good clubs on trade-in, and want to re-sell them to get their $$ back. Tell the golf shop guys you're looking for used clubs, and find some that feel decent to you.

As a beginner, you can waste a lot of time hoping you get lucky on eBay. Go with face-to-face until you get a better grasp of the game.

On 11/30/2016 at 8:42 AM, Mconn116 said:

So any suggestions for a used iron set that's forgiving but not so forgiving that I develop bad habits? I'm thinking 6-PW, SW, 5h, driver, 5w, and I'll just use my dad's old mizuno putter,

Your proposed club mix will work fine (most iron sets will have a 5i). In early going, don't worry about clubs that are too forgiving. And, take some lessons to learn the basics - the best way to limit bad habits.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Thanks for the advice I'm lucky enough to live in a good area with a PGA store, Edwin watts, Edwin watts outlet and a few others nearby so I'll probably go that route at first. Also my father in law is a superintendent of a course about an hour away so I'll probably be enlisting his help as well. 

On 11/30/2016 at 6:42 AM, Mconn116 said:

not so forgiving that I develop bad habits?

There's no such thing.

There is a sale of at least 30% off at http://www.callawaygolfpreowned.com for the rest of the week.  Anything billed as "forgiving" in your price range should be good.  (You might want to go back several years depending on budget.)

Welcome aboard!

My .02, definitely buy used and start with standard length and lie, regular flex irons, 4-SW, or something like that. Make sure the set is matched (or mostly matched) so you can resell them in a couple years when you get better. Pay no more than $100. Also, anything "game improvement" or "offset/oversize" will help you get the ball up in the air... don't buy anything that says "forged" or "blade".

Also, a lot of places will do introductory specials on a single lesson. You can negotiate this a little bit, if the instructor is not busy. Even one (1) 1-hour lesson will make a huge difference... I waited until my second year to take lessons. I should have started with lessons from the very beginning.. 

I am really heartened to hear you are having fun playing w/ your family. That is super cool. My brother in law and nephew play, I have a goal to beat them one day. But they are probably not nearly as nice or fun to be around as your family is.

Edited by Kalnoky

3 minutes ago, Kalnoky said:

Welcome aboard!

My .02, definitely buy used and start with standard length and lie, regular flex irons, 4-SW, or something like that. Make sure the set is matched (or mostly matched) so you can resell them in a couple years when you get better. Pay no more than $100. Also, anything "game improvement" or "offset/oversize" will help you get the ball up in the air... don't buy anything that says "forged" or "blade".

Also, a lot of places will do introductory specials on a single lesson. You can negotiate this a little bit, if the instructor is not busy. Even one (1) 1-hour lesson will make a huge difference... I waited until my second year to take lessons. I should have started with lessons from the very beginning.. 

I am really heartened to hear you are having fun playing w/ your family. That is super cool. My brother in law and nephew play, I have a goal to beat them one day. But they are probably not nearly as nice or fun to be around as your family is.

Oh trust me plenty of trash talking is done but it's all in good fun, and I think having good company is one of the reasons I like it so much! I think I'll go try a few sets of irons at some local shops and get a feel for what works best for me then try and source an inexpensive used set. Really appreciate all the help guys I'll keep ya posted.

(edited)

Actually just left my dads house and he had a bunch of extra clubs he said I could have, found this set of irons 2-9, the look old and pretty well worn and not forgiving at all but anyone know about these? If nothing else maybe worth trading in totwatds a different set?

[URL=http://s866.photobucket.com/user/mconn116/media/20161201_135406.jpg.html][IMG]http://i866.photobucket.com/albums/ab227/mconn116/20161201_135406.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

[URL=http://s866.photobucket.com/user/mconn116/media/20161201_135358.jpg.html][IMG]http://i866.photobucket.com/albums/ab227/mconn116/20161201_135358.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

[URL=http://s866.photobucket.com/user/mconn116/media/20161201_135412.jpg.html][IMG]http://i866.photobucket.com/albums/ab227/mconn116/20161201_135412.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

Edited by Mconn116

There are a number of options depending on your budget.  Adams and Cobra irons can be found at a good price for quality forgiving clubs.

Older Pings, such as G20, may also be a good fit for you.  And Pings tend to hold their value so you may pay a bit more but get a bit more when you move on.

If you buy something released in the last 5-7 years or so, you'll be better off than anything from the 90's.

Read reviews of clubs online and come up with some potential candidates.

Good luck!

John

Golf clubs are tools; nothing more...nothing less.  It doesn't matter who makes it or what anyone else thinks about it.  If you like it...you will know.  My clubs are no one's favorite but mine.  It has taken me much longer to figure that out than it might have.  

In der bag:
Cleveland Hi-Bore driver, Maltby 5 wood, Maltby hybrid, Maltby irons and wedges (23 to 50) Vokey 59/07, Cleveland Niblick (LH-42), and a Maltby mallet putter.                                                                                                                                                 "When the going gets tough...it's tough to get going."

Thanks for the advice guys I really appreciate it! Went to the range yesterday with some buddies to hit some balls and hit a set of old Cleveland ta5's and a set of older Adams idea irons and both felt pretty good. My swing still isn't where it needs to be consistently but when I did have a good feeling swing it felt great and the ball went where I wanted it to. Looking around it seems the ta5's are pretty old clubs but can be had very reasonable used (around $70) and the Adams in a similar price range for the older ones. Any thoughts on quality of these clubs?

I like those old school blades  Jack N's to boot.  You wouldn't enjoy playing them but the other 2, Clevelands and Adams, are cheap and will get you going at the practice area.  Just make sure the shafts are straight and the grip are good and you have a cheap starter set. 

Once the golf bug has overwhelmed you and you have saved up some cash, then get fitted for some decent sticks that you can play for years!

Driver: :callaway: Diablo
Woods: :callaway: Big Bertha 2 & 4
Irons: Miura MC 102's 3 - PW & Mizuno MP 67's 3 - W
Wedges: :mizuno: MP-R12 52* & 58*
Putters: :ping: WRX Ti4

Well ended up picking up a set of Adams A7os 4h, 5h, 6-PW, GW for $140 shipped. A little more than I was planning on spending on an iron set but since it has two 4h, 5h, and GW it kind of sweetened the deal for me, I doubt the GW will be critical for me for now but the hybrids will definitely help out. They're regular flex graphite shafts. Appear to be in pretty solid shape so I'm happy. Now I just need to get a new bag and some woods and get out there!

Note: This thread is 2670 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!