IGNORED

Bogey Golfers Only (Index 16-22) / Breaking 90 Topic

rkim291968
Note: This thread is 1032 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

So... since the last time I posted, I got out last Saturday and played the front nine at the club we joined with my son.  I didn't play very well, but I didn't play too poorly.  I posted a 47 that included 2 uncharacteristic penalties on that side of the course.  I found myself focusing too much on my son and not enough on my own game, so... it wasn't a horrible nine holes.

We then went away for a quick vacation and I didn't touch my clubs for 6 days.  On Friday, my kids were off from school, so I took my son out again and my daughters tagged along to look for lost balls and do cartwheels in the grass.  Again, nothing great... but nothing horrible.  My 46 was entirely the result of feeling 'off' when standing over the ball.  I managed to scramble pretty well towards the end, but I hit only 1 of 9 greens and only 2 of 7 fairways.  My putting kept the score somewhat respectable.  

Today, I met with a friend of mine at a club I've only played once.  It was the club I was planning on joining, but my wife talked me out of it because it's about 45 minutes from home.  In the end, she was right and I'm extremely happy with the club we joined.  Anyway... it was cool all day long, which I loved... but the winds were 15+ MPH all day long... which I didn't love.  On the range prior to teeing off, I was hitting the ball very well.  I was hammering my driver and my irons felt good.  When I got on the course, my driver swing went away.  I played the first 7 holes really well, and then had a horrible triple bogey on the 8th hole followed by a bogey on the 9th.  I turned a 41 into a 45 in a hurry.  The back was ugly all around.  I managed to break 50, but just barely with a 49.  My 45 - 49 = 94 was not all that bad considering the wind and the fact that I've NEVER played a course set up more ridiculously with tricked-up pin positions.  I figure with some more accessible hole locations and even moderately less wind, my score could have been 5-6 strokes lower.  Still... a 94 is a 94, so... I'll deal with it.  

I'm hoping to play 2-3 more times this week, but it'll depend on work.  

Hoping to put some good scores up!

CY

Career Bests
- 18 Holes - 72 (+1) - Par 71 - Pine Island Country Club - 6/25/2022
- 9 Holes - 36 (E) - Par 36 - Pine Island Country Club - 6/25/2022

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

For awhile, I really felt good when I was on a golf course.  I had a ton of confidence and things just seemed to click for me and I was posting really good (for me) scores.  Suddenly... I would stand over a ball and feel lost.  I said to my buddy the other day that playing for a two-way miss on every shot is no fun and, honestly... I was beginning to get discouraged.  

I set up a time this morning to play as a single at my club.  I got out at just after 8:30 this morning and there was only 1 group ahead of me.  I planned to take my time and play it as if I was playing a tournament round.  

On the front nine, I was lost again.  After a really good opening drive, I made a bogey on the first hole... then I got up & down out of a bunker on the second for a par.  After that... things fell apart.  I went double - double - double on the next few holes and began really wondering what I was doing differently.  After a bogey and double on numbers six and seven, I hit a poor tee shot on the eighth hole that forced me to punch out.  I was left with about 140 into a breeze.  I took a deep breath when I got to my ball and took slow, deliberate practice swings and I felt that I was rocking instead of keeping my weight forward.  It clicked at that moment for me.  I hit a pretty good shot there to 18 feet but couldn't make the putt, so I took a bogey.  On the ninth, I hit a poor drive and had about 140 again to the hole... this time out of the rough.  I hit a near perfect 8 iron that finished 7 feet from the hole.  I hit a good putt, but I didn't make it, settling for par.  I went out in 47 and was determined to focus on my weight for every swing on the back side.  

After a bogey - bogey start on what I believe are a pair of the most difficult holes on the back, I went par - par - bogey (on my nemesis hole) - birdie - par - bogey - par to finish.  I came in with a 39 on the back.  

My 47 - 39 = 86 has been (by a large margin) my best 18 hole score in a month.  I'm now excited to get back out (hopefully Thursday morning) and play another round to see if I can keep the momentum going!  

CY

• Upvote 1

Career Bests

On 10/21/2016 at 11:03 PM, stealthhwk said:

Dont shoot your best ever unless your ready to suck for a while immediately after! Lol :hmm:

No kidding. 

I had an 82 a few months back and barfed all over my shoes for the next two weeks after that. 

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, mcanadiens said:

No kidding. 

I had an 82 a few months back and barfed all over my shoes for the next two weeks after that. 

I also went in the tank for a couple of weeks after posting my best score of the year. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, mcanadiens said:

No kidding. 

Thats a great analogy. Id like to borrow that. Lol

1 hour ago, Kalnoky said:

I also went in the tank for a couple of weeks after posting my best score of the year. 

Its so encouraging to hear that Im not alone. Sometimes it feels like this stuff only happens to me. And when it feels like your on an island, its tough!

Managed to play 9 after work today, finished in almost complete darkness. Midweek rounds will barely be possible from next week when the clocks change :-(

Anyway, I shot a 40 on Par 36. I'd say the stats summed up my game pretty well. Hit 2 fairways, 2 GIR, 3 up&downs for par, 14 putts. My ball striking was good without being great. I didn't go near OOB, or trees, or thick rough, but I did find a lot of those pesky bunkers. 

Shame I'm playing some of my more consistent golf of the year so late in the season.

15 minutes ago, Hazsa said:

Shame I'm playing some of my more consistent golf of the year so late in the season.

Aint that the way it always goes!? Seems like everytime I start playing well, something happens that prevents me playing. Extreme heat wave, cold snap, work, or the end of the season. 

Like most bogey golfers, again, I went through a swing slump recently.  My swing changed somehow and I started hitting very erratically.   Moreover, I started heaving upper neck/back pain.   I believe my bad swing is causing the pain.  For weeks, I could not figure out what is going on.  So, I went to video lessons and figured out that my hip & shoulder turns were out of sync.   It took me another week to correct it but not until my HI went up to 15.9.   I am in danger of becoming a 16+ HI golfer.   Sigh.

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

Another day where I couldn't get things going until later in the round.  

I struggled again on the front side (which is the easier side of our course).  I was really let down by my short game today.  I count 4 strokes on the front side where I was on or around the green and I threw shots away.  That led to a 48.  

On the back, things were really ugly for the first few holes as I three-putted 10, 11 and 12.  I missed putts from 1 foot (downhill putt and I babied it), 8 feet (after blasting the first putt bye) and 3 feet (no idea how I missed that one, honestly).  When I got to the 13th hole, I took a deep breath and then started focusing on each shot.  I made bogey there after a poor approach.  I birdied the 14th (which is my nemesis hole) after sticking a pitching wedge to 2 feet.  Par on 15 after a drive put me in a tough spot and I had to hook a 6 iron low and around a tree.  On 16, I hit a great tee shot and left myself 111 yards.  I pushed my pitching wedge out to the right and then, again, my short game abandoned me.  I flubbed a chip... hit a poor putt from off the green... and then missed a 6 footer for bogey and took a double.  I got away with a poor swing on 17 and made par from 15 feet.  On 18, my drive was low and left but I had a look at the pin.  I hit a pitching wedge up the hill to 10 feet right of the hole and then made the putt for another birdie.  All total, that was a 44 on the back.  

The 48 - 44 = 92 was not what I was expecting... but it wasn't horrible and I can at least narrow it down to poor short game today.  I just didn't have it.  

CY

Career Bests

2 hours ago, Fairway_CY said:

Another day where 
On the back, things were really ugly for the first few holes as I three-putted 10, 11 and 12.  I missed putts from 1 foot (downhill putt and I babied it), 8 feet (after blasting the first putt bye) and 3 feet (no idea how I missed that one, honestly).  When I got to the 13th hole, I took a deep breath and then started focusing on each shot.  I made bogey there after a poor approach.  I birdied the 14th (which is my nemesis hole) after sticking a pitching wedge to 2 feet.  Par on 15 after a drive put me in a tough spot and I had to hook a 6 iron low and around a tree.  On 16, I hit a great tee shot and left myself 111 yards.  I pushed my pitching wedge out to the right and then, again, my short game abandoned me.  I flubbed a chip... hit a poor putt from off the green... and then missed a 6 footer for bogey and took a double.  I got away with a poor swing on 17 and made par from 15 feet.  On 18, my drive was low and left but I had a look at the pin.  I hit a pitching wedge up the hill to 10 feet right of the hole and then made the putt for another birdie.  All total, that was a 44 on the back.  

Pick that up!

1 hour ago, Hazsa said:

Pick that up!

Haha!  For a split second, I contemplated scooping the ball up and not counting that stroke, but... I play a lot of tournaments where everything is putted out.  On those 3 holes (especially 10 and 12), I wasn't focused at all... especially not like I would be for a tournament, but... those tiny things will cost me.  

It taught me again that I need to give every shot my full attention, so... missing those putts was a good lesson (that I've learned multiple times before but keep forgetting) for me.

CY

Career Bests

I played a strange scoring round today.   I had 9 pars which were negated by 3 snowmen - two OBs each on two different holes, and took 5 times to get out of a trap on another.   Ouch!    On all other holes, I was "on" which led to 90 ESC score round.  Am still hanging onto an HI below 16.   But if I have another slump, I will be back to being a bogey golfer.   Sigh.

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

51 minutes ago, rkim291968 said:

I played a strange scoring round today.   I had 9 pars which were negated by 3 snowmen - two OBs each on two different holes, and took 5 times to get out of a trap on another.   Ouch!    On all other holes, I was "on" which led to 90 ESC score round.  Am still hanging onto an HI below 16.   But if I have another slump, I will be back to being a bogey golfer.   Sigh.

Bogey golf is good golf my friend!

:beer:

On 10/27/2016 at 5:07 PM, rkim291968 said:

On 10/27/2016 at 5:59 PM, stealthhwk said:

Bogey golf is good golf my friend!

:beer:

Yes, it is.

In my mind, @rkim291968 has dedicated so much time and developed skills that allow him to consistently shoot in the high 80s and low 90s, that he should really be proud of his achievements instead of berating himself for hovering around his current handicap. . .

• Upvote 2

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

7 OBs led to 100 today.   My swing was way off.  

Drained a 50+ feet putt.  It always feels unreal when a long putt leaves the putter, slithers through the green, and goes in after what seems like forever.  

The latest HI went up to 15.6.   One on my stated goal  this year is finish below 16  HI.  I hope to hold it together for the next two month. 

• Upvote 1

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

Another day where I got out to the course for a quick solo round.  I started out okay and played well on the front side until the 8th hole.  There, I lost a ball that never should have been lost which led to a triple bogey.  On the 9th, I pushed my drive right and it finished up against the lip in a fairway bunker.  I ended up with a double there and posted a 48 on the front.

The back was another totally different story.  My only poor hole was on the 13th where my second shot put me behind a tree.  I tried to punch a 5 iron below that tree to run it up towards the green but it caught a limb and kicked it to the right.  Ultimately, I ended that hole with a double bogey.  A birdie on the 15th hole helped to offset that and I was able to post a 42 on the back.  

The 48 - 42 = 90 was my third straight 'decent but not good' round.  I'm playing again tomorrow at a different course with a friend.  Hoping to be able to post something in the mid 80's to get a bit of my confidence back, but seeing as how it's the first time I'll see the course we're playing... a score of around 90 would be sufficient.  

CY

Career Bests

I've been lurking around this thread for a long time, but I'm so happy with today's score I just had to post to share it with other golf nuts :beer:

Over the past months, I've been averaging low 90's scores, and managed to break 90 twice with a 89. I felt like there was potential to do better but always had a few blow-up holes. Today however, I managed to shatter my personal records, despite a not so great start :-D

I arrived at the golf course just in time for my tee time, no warming up, and it showed:
1st hole: Topped tee shot barely beyond the ladies tees. Thanks to decent second and 3rd shots managed to get away with a bogey.
2nd hole: First tee shot out of bounds, second tee shot in a lateral water hazard (beyond the stakes but luckily still playable), resulting in a triple bogey

But as of then: 8 pars, 7 bogeys and to top it off a birdie on 18! Total score: 82!!

I just can't wait to go out again and see whether I can repeat this feat (or even what my card would look like if I wouldn't have taken that damn triple bogey)!
For those interested, game golf round here

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, KoenA said:

I've been lurking around this thread for a long time, but I'm so happy with today's score I just had to post to share it with other golf nuts :beer:

Over the past months, I've been averaging low 90's scores, and managed to break 90 twice with a 89. I felt like there was potential to do better but always had a few blow-up holes. Today however, I managed to shatter my personal records, despite a not so great start :-D

I arrived at the golf course just in time for my tee time, no warming up, and it showed:
1st hole: Topped tee shot barely beyond the ladies tees. Thanks to decent second and 3rd shots managed to get away with a bogey.
2nd hole: First tee shot out of bounds, second tee shot in a lateral water hazard (beyond the stakes but luckily still playable), resulting in a triple bogey

But as of then: 8 pars, 7 bogeys and to top it off a birdie on 18! Total score: 82!!

I just can't wait to go out again and see whether I can repeat this feat (or even what my card would look like if I wouldn't have taken that damn triple bogey)!
For those interested, game golf round here

Great round!  Welcome to the thread.  Keep those scores moving down into the 80's!

CY

Career Bests

Note: This thread is 1032 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!