IGNORED

Bogey Golfers Only (Index 16-22) / Breaking 90 Topic

rkim291968
Note: This thread is 1048 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

What's working?  Chipping and putting due to daily practice on home carpet.

What's not working?  Ball striking b/c I am going through a minor tweak.  Am working on faster hip turn, and lessening grip pressure.   

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I fell apart yesterday, guys.  I played 27 holes and things just did not click.  I couldn't find the ground with my club properly.  I was either 2 inches before the ball or I was hitting it thin.  It was the worst around the greens.  To top it off, my putting stroke left me at the same time.  

I shot 48 on the front nine, then went to the back and shot 51 on the back nine.  I had 40 putts in that round.  1 of 8 getting up & down and 0 of 9 in sand save attempts.  It was horrible.  

I was so upset with that score that I decided to play another quick nine.  I went back out on the front and shot a 47.  I had 19 putts, went 1 of 6 getting up & down and 0 of 1 in sand save attempts.  

It was the worst I'd played in over 3 months.  Horrible timing seeing as I'm going to Hilton Head later today and playing in a 3 day tournament beginning Friday.  

I'm just gonna chalk it up to a bad day and a good omen.  Typically, if I have a horrible 'out-of-nowhere' bad round... I then rebound nicely and play well, so... I'm hoping that's the case.

CY

Career Bests
- 18 Holes - 72 (+1) - Par 71 - Pine Island Country Club - 6/25/2022
- 9 Holes - 36 (E) - Par 36 - Pine Island Country Club - 6/25/2022

What a great Sunday in NE this weekend!

Got out to play and shot a nice 88!  It was almost 60* out and we played 18 in 3:20.  Pretty sweet.

Threw down a 45 on the front with 4 FW's and I hit 1 of 2 greens on the par 3's.  Had one par and one birdie.  The birdie was sweet as I holed out a 40 yard chip.  NICE!!!!  Had 17 putts.  Not a bad front.

On the back I got a 43 with 4 FW's and I hit both greens on the par 3's.  Got 3 pars on the back and my putting was horrible... 21 putts!  I left 3 putts short 2" so I could have shoot a much better score.

Overall a good day as I thought it was longer but we played pretty quick.  The 4 some in front of us was pretty slow and at the 8th, a par 3, they asked if we wanted to play through after they teed off.  A lil nervous as we now have 4 people watching, my friend and I both stuck it to about 12' and they were all short or long.  We both pared out so it was cool under the pressure of 8 eyes!

Hope you all got to go out and hit the ball this weekend!

• Upvote 1

Driver: :callaway: Diablo
Woods: :callaway: Big Bertha 2 & 4
Irons: Miura MC 102's 3 - PW & Mizuno MP 67's 3 - W
Wedges: :mizuno: MP-R12 52* & 58*
Putters: :ping: WRX Ti4

Well... all my work leading up to the biggest tournament on my schedule this year went out the window this weekend!  

I went in with very, very high expectations.  I figured if I could post something in the 85 range every day, I'd be in contention.  I knew it was going to be a 3 day grind, but... I was ready.  

Friday, I started out very, very poorly going triple - triple to open the tournament.  I somehow managed to claw my way back and post a 45 - 45 = 90 that day.  Unfortunately, the leader posted a ridiculously good 78 and I was 12 strokes back.  

Saturday, the wind was howling.  I opened double - double that day and never found a groove.  Putts weren't falling... tee shots were wild... and I just didn't have it.  My 50 - 45 = 95 should have been far worse than that.  I had at least 5 shots that kicked off the trees and back into play that day.  It was ugly and I was out of the tournament with the leader having a two day total of 169 and my 185 being 16 shots back.  

Sunday, I woke up ready to go.  I was confident that I was going to be able to post a good score and then when I got to the course to warm up, I was destroying the ball on the range.  Things started pretty well for me, but I had a handful of loose shots throughout the day that produced some high numbers (2 triples and 4 doubles).  I didn't have enough to rebound from those scores and my 46 - 44 = 90 left me a grand total (90 - 95 - 90 = 275) of 22 strokes behind the eventual winner (80 - 89 - 84 = 253).

A few of the positives to come from the weekend...

I got to enjoy 4 days with some friends in Hilton Head.  5 of us and our families all shared a house and had a great time just goofing off during the evenings.  Some drinks were enjoyed, some football was watched and a lot of fun was had. 

I also managed to win a $780 skin on Friday for a birdie on the number 1 handicap hole, so... that more than paid for my tournament entry!  

I've got a handful of competitive matches to play during the offseason, otherwise... I'll basically be working on trying to figure some things out.  The 2017 season will kickoff in early February, so... just about 75 days or so to take a bit of a break and then get myself ready again!

CY

Career Bests

I commented on another part of the forum, but I am returning from injury and I see this as an opportunity to start from scratch. This week I met with, and took my first lesson from the college I attends Golf Coach/Instructor, and he only changed two things that wil be easy to work on, grip and posture/spine angle. 

Tonight I want to have my first practice session, but I may end up going and only using my putter. Depends how the range looks, as it just reopened after overseeding.

20 hours ago, freshmanUTA said:

I commented on another part of the forum, but I am returning from injury and I see this as an opportunity to start from scratch. This week I met with, and took my first lesson from the college I attends Golf Coach/Instructor, and he only changed two things that wil be easy to work on, grip and posture/spine angle. 

Tonight I want to have my first practice session, but I may end up going and only using my putter. Depends how the range looks, as it just reopened after overseeding.

This could be confused with "start at the highest level of amateur golf" :-D

Good that you are taking this approach. My son hasn't really been playing that well lately due to a long layover from playing. We're hitting the range all next week since he has it off in hopes of getting his swing back again. He's been hitting only irons for the past 3 months. . .

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

92 today, and the HI at 16.1 (= 0.1 above my 2016 goal).

The big news though was I made only 20 total putts today.  I had 3 hole outs, and numerous one putts.  For a 20-putt round, my score was bad b/c of all the OBs.  Golf is funny that way.

• Upvote 1

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

7 hours ago, rkim291968 said:

The big news though was I made only 20 total putts today.  I had 3 hole outs, and numerous one putts.  For a 20-putt round, my score was bad b/c of all the OBs.  Golf is funny that way.

it sure is! I played the other day, drove the ball beautifully... hit EVERY SINGLE FAIRWAY... and walked away 13 over par, on a 9 HOLE COURSE!!! (lol)

IN MY BAG
Driver: Taylormade SLDR Mini Driver
3 Wood: Calloway RAZR Hawk
Hybrid: Ping 19*
Irons: Mizuno JPX 825
Wedges: 52, 56 Cleveland
Putter: Odyssey White Ice

14 hours ago, rkim291968 said:

That's birdie material! Very exceptional approaches coupled with fantastic putting. Wow, nice skills!

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

3 hours ago, Lihu said:

That's birdie material! Very exceptional approaches coupled with fantastic putting. Wow, nice skills!

Thanks.  Practicing chipping and putting at home almost daily is working.  I've ignored this practice for a while and my short game slowly disintegrated. 

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

1ST EAGLE !!!!!!    PAR 5 -----240 ish off the tee with a little draw. 180yd 4-iron to set up my pitching wedge. Then the miracle happened HOLE OUT. I dont hit it far enough to make eagles but luck is awesome !!!!!   Anyway, Hit Em Good Yall !!!! and Good Luck hahaha

• Upvote 4

My Bag (Callaway ORG 14 )
Callaway Apex CF16's 4-AW
Callaway MD3's 54deg---58deg   W-grind
Callaway 3-hybrid
Callaway XR16 10.5 driver and 3-wood
Odyssey Metal X Milled #6 putter
Chrome Soft ball

On 11/16/2016 at 4:22 PM, freshmanUTA said:

Welcome back!

25 minutes ago, Strat-Pack said:

1ST EAGLE !!!!!!    PAR 5 -----240 ish off the tee with a little draw. 180yd 4-iron to set up my pitching wedge. Then the miracle happened HOLE OUT. I dont hit it far enough to make eagles but luck is awesome !!!!!   Anyway, Hit Em Good Yall !!!! and Good Luck hahaha

Congrats!! What a thrill. I've had one in my life (but as a teen), but I've got a 460yd Par 5 hole I play regularly that I know I'm due for one. The funny thing is that I usually bogey that damn hole! You can claim the site achievement here-->

My Swing

Driver: :ping: G30, Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0, Putter: :cleveland:, Balls: :snell:

1 minute ago, RandallT said:

Welcome back!

Congrats!! What a thrill. I've had one in my life (but as a teen), but I've got a 460yd Par 5 hole I play regularly that I know I'm due for one. The funny thing is that I usually bogey that damn hole! You can claim the site achievement here-->

Thank you . I couldnt believe it. My buddy said the hole placement was in a bowl but i think he was just mad.  Good luck to you on your goals and thanks again .

Callaway 3-hybrid
Chrome Soft ball

On 11/18/2016 at 5:02 PM, Strat-Pack said:

Nice!  I still do not have an eagle where I have holed out from off the green.  I've got a few on short par 4's that I've driven the green... I've got at least one on a par 5... and I've got a hole-in-one on a par 3... but the off-the-green hole out eludes me!  Congrats!

I got out today after taking almost a week off.  My 43 - 42 = 85 left me feeling pretty good.  I'm still disappointed in how I performed in my final tournament of the year, but... it happens.  In addition to shooting a good-for-me score, my partner and I won our first match of the winter 4 & 2.  It was never really close.  We were 4 up after 8 holes then our opponents won the next 2 holes with strokes on those holes.  We closed them out on 16 after I had birdied 15 and hit my approach on the next hole to 9 feet.  

All-in-all... it wasn't a horrible day.

CY

• Upvote 1

Career Bests

52 minutes ago, Fairway_CY said:

Nice!  I still do not have an eagle where I have holed out from off the green.  I've got a few on short par 4's that I've driven the green... I've got at least one on a par 5... and I've got a hole-in-one on a par 3... but the off-the-green hole out eludes me!  Congrats!

I got out today after taking almost a week off.  My 43 - 42 = 85 left me feeling pretty good.  I'm still disappointed in how I performed in my final tournament of the year, but... it happens.  In addition to shooting a good-for-me score, my partner and I won our first match of the winter 4 & 2.  It was never really close.  We were 4 up after 8 holes then our opponents won the next 2 holes with strokes on those holes.  We closed them out on 16 after I had birdied 15 and hit my approach on the next hole to 9 feet.  

All-in-all... it wasn't a horrible day.

CY

Sounds like a great day !!!! I dont hit it far enough to eagle par 5s unless  that miracle happens. Ive had a couple opportunities on par4s in the past but blew it. Thanks for the REP point and well wishes and congrats on your win !!!!

• Upvote 1

Callaway 3-hybrid
Chrome Soft ball

On Saturday, November 19, 2016 at 8:09 PM, Fairway_CY said:

I got out today after taking almost a week off.  My 43 - 42 = 85 left me feeling pretty good.

Glad to see you got back out there CY.  You had a good round there.  I knew you would be back at it.... it's a tough game but even tougher to quit!

I played both days this weekend and shot 89 and 86.  The 89 was at a course I only played once like 3 years ago.  Did OK, didn't really know the course so I took it easy aiming at Bogey golf.  Hit a lot of fairways and putting was pretty good.  Very plush course so I am thinking of playing more there next year.

My 86 was sweet. Hit 10 FWs but missed all the 3's as my ball was sky high and the wind blew them sideways and knocked them down as well.  15 & 16 on putting with 44 & 42 for the sides.  I hit 5 huge drives but in trying out higher bounce wedges, chunked all of them and double wedged for some added strokes so I know I could have shot a little lower.  Put those wedges away and go back to my trusty Eye 2 copper ones.  Love those sticks!  Had some really great iron shots as well. My buddy kept saying "give me something to beat" ya, well after saying that 3 times he stopped saying I was shooting it too good for that challenge.

It was 60* out and 3h 10 min for a round was nice.  Not too many people out either day.  Only us Die Hards!!!  Last post I thought that might be the final round.  Getting out both days on the weekend was great and I hold hope for another couple rounds before packing up for the winter.

• Upvote 1

Driver: :callaway: Diablo
Woods: :callaway: Big Bertha 2 & 4
Irons: Miura MC 102's 3 - PW & Mizuno MP 67's 3 - W
Wedges: :mizuno: MP-R12 52* & 58*
Putters: :ping: WRX Ti4

Everybody, i really like this thread. We all seem to cheer each other on and its not all stuffy, haha. We have a new thread to look forward to though. The breaking 80 thread is up and running. Several of yall are really close and i hope you pull off that feat. I personally need to shave a solid 6 shots off my card to do it. I will be the guy on the range shivering all winter because come spring im gonna do it !! Good luck this winter, wear out your wedges. This time next year we will be in the breaking 80 thread chasing PAR. Hit Em Good Yall !!

Callaway 3-hybrid
Chrome Soft ball

5 hours ago, Strat-Pack said:

Everybody, i really like this thread. We all seem to cheer each other on and its not all stuffy, haha. We have a new thread to look forward to though. The breaking 80 thread is up and running. Several of yall are really close and i hope you pull off that feat. I personally need to shave a solid 6 shots off my card to do it. I will be the guy on the range shivering all winter because come spring im gonna do it !! Good luck this winter, wear out your wedges. This time next year we will be in the breaking 80 thread chasing PAR. Hit Em Good Yall !!

Loved the way you think.   

The rainy season in California is hitting me hard.  It's green everywhere.and it is near impossible to find ball in tall grass.   A ball I can easily find and hit during summer has become a ball not found.  Predictably, my HI has gone back up to mid 16.   To fight this, I am focusing on ball striking accuracy (vs distance) and short game.   I save one full stroke on total putts/round but not enough to counter increased ball-not-founds.   I will figure something out to lower the HI to below 16.

• Upvote 1

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

Note: This thread is 1048 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!