IGNORED

Bogey Golfers Only (Index 16-22) / Breaking 90 Topic

rkim291968
Note: This thread is 1180 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Here's a thought for us bogey golfers to ponder:

Would you rather hit the ball solidly all round and not shoot a good score, or HACK your way from tee to green all day and card an 87 because you got some breaks like holing a couple of long putts, maybe skulling a chip that hits the stick and stops a foot from the cup?

I'd rather do both well but if I am a given the choice, I'd rather card an 87.  I'd be more frustrated if I hit well and still shoot a poor score.

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'd rather do both well but if I am a given the choice, I'd rather card an 87.  I'd be more frustrated if I hit well and still shoot a poor score.

I'm not so sure about this one.

The feel of a bad shot is really bad. If you hit it well, but it went off in the water it still feels like a good shot. Likewise, if you piddle a shot that rolls most of the way then happens to hit a sprinkler head and pops up onto the green, it was not a good feeling thinning the shot. Too much was at chance, and the score on that hole does not reflect your ability in a reasonable way. Deep down you would know this even if you convince yourself that it was a "good result".

I feel better knowing that I am able to make driver(also 3W or 3H)/iron on any sub-420 yard hole, and that my crappy scoring is due to a really bad putting and short game.

This might be just where my skill level is at this point in time, but I also watch many other golfers with that same satisfied grin that they pured their shot. Even if it goes into a lake (presuming a lateral hazard).

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Originally Posted by dave s

Here's a thought for us bogey golfers to ponder:

Would you rather hit the ball solidly all round and not shoot a good score, or HACK your way from tee to green all day and card an 87 because you got some breaks like holing a couple of long putts, maybe skulling a chip that hits the stick and stops a foot from the cup?

I'd rather hit the ball solidly and not shoot a good score.  I'm hoping to improve and at least I would feel I'm on the right track.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rkim291968

I'm not so sure about this one.

The feel of a bad shot is really bad. If you hit it well, but it went off in the water it still feels like a good shot. Likewise, if you piddle a shot that rolls most of the way then happens to hit a sprinkler head and pops up onto the green, it was not a good feeling thinning the shot. Too much was at chance, and the score on that hole does not reflect your ability in a reasonable way. Deep down you would know this even if you convince yourself that it was a "good result".

I feel better knowing that I am able to make driver(also 3W or 3H)/iron on any sub-420 yard hole, and that my crappy scoring is due to a really bad putting and short game.

This might be just where my skill level is at this point in time, but I also watch many other golfers with that same satisfied grin that they pured their shot. Even if it goes into a lake (presuming a lateral hazard).

I think it comes down to "are you goal or process" oriented person question.  You can guess that I am more goal oriented.   I think it has to do with my long time job environment.

Good job, Liu, in lowering your handicap to 13.  You will be on your way to single digit handicap soon.

My next GHIN tomorrow is going to show 19.3, down another 0.6 from last report.   It was 22 only 3 months ago so I am going in the right direction.   I fixed some demons with my hitting process and got my short game back, including sand play & pitching from 60 yards and in..   All the improvements reduced OBs and subsequent big number holes.   It also resulted in a high finish for a team best ball tournament last weekend.

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

I would like to play more.  I retired from teaching but then three things happened in my life that changed that life forever. First came the divorce then came the second marriage and third came my golf website and working on that. We only have one car and my wife has to use that for work, but the website and other golf related endeavors keep me off the course. I truly enjoy what I am doing and what keeps me busy, but I would sure like to get back on the course. I used to play 3-5 times a week.

I think it comes down to "are you goal or process" oriented person question.  You can guess that I am more goal oriented.   I think it has to do with my long time job environment.

Good job, Liu, in lowering your handicap to 13.  You will be on your way to single digit handicap soon.

My next GHIN tomorrow is going to show 19.3, down another 0.6 from last report.   It was 22 only 3 months ago so I am going in the right direction.   I fixed some demons with my hitting process and got my short game back, including sand play & pitching from 60 yards and in..   All the improvements reduced OBs and subsequent big number holes.   It also resulted in a high finish for a team best ball tournament last weekend.

Not likely to happen any time soon, if at all. I know what it will take to get to the next level, more distance.

I just developed a comfortable swing, and if I deviate from it too much from comfortable my shots go wild. Maybe, I can get the distance through more advanced club fitting? That might gain me a few yards?

Better mechanics might gain me a few more yards, it will also improve my distance and dispersion statistics.

My goal is to get to a solid 12 handicap, someday. That would make me pretty happy.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

You may.   I went to get fitted for a new driver b/c I wanted to increase distance.  This was when my HI was in low teens and I was eager to get to the next level.  Like you and many others, I thought the added driver distance will improve my HI to the next level.   Anyway, after some testing, my fitter and I concluded that I already have a decent driver, and I will get more out of correcting my swing mechanics than going with another driver.    He told me that going with another driver/shaft may get me another 5 yards or so.   Improving ball spin rate, trajectory, etc. will get me more than 5 yards.  I.e, invest in instruction instead of getting a new club.

One thing is for sure.   Every time I tried to increase my driver swing speed & distance off tee, my swing mechanic went haywire  and I ended up in mini slump.

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

You may.   I went to get fitted for a new driver b/c I wanted to increase distance.  This was when my HI was in low teens and I was eager to get to the next level.  Like you and many others, I thought the added driver distance will improve my HI to the next level.   Anyway, after some testing, my fitter and I concluded that I already have a decent driver, and I will get more out of correcting my swing mechanics than going with another driver.    He told me that going with another driver/shaft may get me another 5 yards or so.   Improving ball spin rate, trajectory, etc. will get me more than 5 yards.  I.e, invest in instruction instead of getting a new club.  One thing is for sure.   Every time I tried to increase my driver swing speed & distance off tee, my swing mechanic went haywire  and I ended up in mini slump.

Exactly, I am just starting to get a swing I can trust, and it currently yields shorter distances. Maybe, as I ingrain the mechanics I will automatically swing faster, but that's not my current focus My main focus is on the two priorities, I was given two months ago. When I get these down, who knows, speed might come with it. BTW, the biggest improvement in the last couple months are with my irons, and this is what suddenly lowered my HI 2 strokes with potential for more.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

BTW, the biggest improvement in the last couple months are with my irons, and this is what suddenly lowered my HI 2 strokes with potential for more.

Cool!   I am also finding my iron accuracy but by removing 3 & 4 irons from my bags :-) .   It significantly reduced my score on a few holes.

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

Cool!   I am also finding my iron accuracy but by removing 3 & 4 irons from my bags .   It significantly reduced my score on a few holes.

Okay, sure, but in the past I couldn't even hit my 6i and 5i which are like a modern 8i and 7i. Now, I can hit the equivalent of the modern 50 degree to 5i, at least some of the time. Modern 3i and 4i are equal to an older 1i to 2i and 3i, and not many people can hit them anyway. Good you took them out of your bag.

I solved that issue by hitting clubs with lofts from the 1960s. :-X

The only good thing about that is that I have a lot more clubs to choose from between 90 and 190 yards.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

Shot a 90 today. 5933 yds, 69 cr, 124 slope. Could've been much better but I fought my driver all day, only hitting 4 fairways. My putting is what kept me in it though, 31.putts today.
my get up and go musta got up and went..

4 rounds into moving up a set of tees, I have finally broken 90 at my home course.

Going from 6600 to 6000 yards and the game is a bit more fun.

Shot an 89 vs my normal avg of 98 from the whites, 22% GIR vs, normal 4%, 5 pars and 1 bird vs normal avg of 1.5 per round, 78% fairway compared to a 60% average and 1.7 putts vs my avg of 1.9.

Overall it has been a success for everyone in my group, including a 23 index that shot a 40 on the back yesterday (too bad he just missed 60 on the front)

Follow me on twitter

Chris, although my friends call me Mr.L

4 rounds into moving up a set of tees, I have finally broken 90 at my home course. Going from 6600 to 6000 yards and the game is a bit more fun. Shot an 89 vs my normal avg of 98 from the whites, 22% GIR vs, normal 4%, 5 pars and 1 bird vs normal avg of 1.5 per round, 78% fairway compared to a 60% average and 1.7 putts vs my avg of 1.9. Overall it has been a success for everyone in my group, including a 23 index that shot a 40 on the back yesterday (too bad he just missed 60 on the front)

That's great. I also lost about 8-9 strokes moving up to the appropriate tees. Instead of scrambling most of the round, I have a really good chance at hitting greens. Tee box anxiety dropped a lot for me mainly because I don't worry if I mess up my drives.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

Do you think moving up will reduce your HI?  It will definitely reduce mine and I have data to back it up.    If I only count White Tee scores, I'd have better HI by 1 or 2 points.    But all my club's tournaments are from blue tee, hence, I play mostly from there.

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

Do you think moving up will reduce your HI?  It will definitely reduce mine and I have data to back it up.    If I only count White Tee scores, I'd have better HI by 1 or 2 points.    But all my club's tournaments are from blue tee, hence, I play mostly from there.

No, it did not lower my HI, because my playing didn't really change. If you are swinging out of your shoes to make the drives longer, then I would imagine it would change it a lot.

I cut 6-10 strokes cutting 700 yards from my game, but the differential is almost the same. I am just starting to get some mileage at the shorter distances. The game is much more enjoyable, BTW.

I think in the long run it will improve them as I get used to using the 150 yard club more accurately.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

honestly, it may eventually but I dont care. At thia point I am out to reduce my scores. our club used to have a rule that you had to be 55 to play in tourneys from the golds, now the only rule is 75% of my posted rounds have to be from there. we are just preparing for next year at this point. My last rounds from the whites will be played during the last few tourneys this year.

Follow me on twitter

Chris, although my friends call me Mr.L

The game is much more enjoyable, BTW.

Agreed.   When my playing partner plays from White, I use that excuse to play from White as well.

our club used to have a rule that you had to be 55 to play in tourneys from the golds, now the only rule is 75% of my posted rounds have to be from there.

Hmm, perhaps, I should suggest a similar concept to my club's handicap committee.

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

The last time I posted I said that I was going to work on playing more.  That is a very important thing for me. I improve by playing.  I have always been a "feel" player and when I don't play, I loose that. I have also returned to working out at the gym. That is a big help to me as I become more flexible and stronger.  It really helps my sewing speed and control of the club. Those are the two big things that I will be working on, and then when I start playing more I will work on some specific golf improvements.

Note: This thread is 1180 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!