IGNORED

"Best" year old Equipment: Driver ?

Note: This thread is 2649 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I am a slightly overweight, 67 year old golfer, with a bad right shoulder. Bottomline: I get some shoulder turn but not enough to truly get distance from my driver. Last year I used the X2 hot strong 3wood from Callaway for much of my season. A drive of 220 yards would be a chest bumping drive for me.  Don't misunderstand me. I play 5 days a week, shoot more than half of my rounds in the 70's, won my division, and am Senior Club Champion. But still, not being able to drive the ball haunts me. I am thinking of trying a "new to me" driver (2016 model?). Any suggestions???

On my own I have narrowed my current preferences down to a Cobra F6, Cobra F6+, Callaway  XR 12 degree, or maybe a Ping G30 SF model. I know many tout the Taylormade M models but the shafts are just way too long for me to handle. My current driver (when in the bag) alternates between a TM Super tri cut down an inch or an old Tour Edge CB-1. Of the choices the Cobra F6+ is currently my favorite. Shortest shaft at 45 inch . But I have read posts where players said the weight slide failed and club needed to be repaired? Thanks.

Driver :T Edge CB-1 or Cally Mini Driver 14* or GBB 11*
Tour Edge CB2 15* 3 wood (Best Club Ever!)

Callaway XR 5Wood (New BCE!)

Hybrids: Nike SQ 23*  Tour Edge 28*

Irons: TMade RAC  7-PW   T Flight 56 SWedge
Putter: Odyssey 2 Ball Blade, SStroke flatside to hole

If you're not getting a good shoulder turn, I don't know. I've been playing a 2014 Callaway BB and I have it set up neutral. It's all in the angle of attack. I tried the 2016 Callaway XR16 last season and loved it but it was too pricey then. I was able to keep it in the "fairway" the best with it and get respectable distance. And actually able to hit a draw!! I use a 10.5 degree.

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Fitting really is the key. But I will say the one older guy I play with who has limited mobility really squeezes the most out of his lower swing speed with the Callaway RAZR Fit Xtreme which came out in 2013.

:callaway: Big Bertha Alpha 815 DBD  :bridgestone: TD-03 Putter   
:tmade: 300 Tour 3W                 :true_linkswear: Motion Shoes
:titleist: 585H Hybrid                       
:tmade: TP MC irons                 
:ping: Glide 54             
:ping: Glide 58
:cleveland: 588 RTX 62

1 hour ago, cape cod beachfront golfer said:

I am a slightly overweight, 67 year old golfer, with a bad right shoulder. Bottomline: I get some shoulder turn but not enough to truly get distance from my driver. Last year I used the X2 hot strong 3wood from Callaway for much of my season. A drive of 220 yards would be a chest bumping drive for me.  Don't misunderstand me. I play 5 days a week, shoot more than half of my rounds in the 70's, won my division, and am Senior Club Champion. But still, not being able to drive the ball haunts me. I am thinking of trying a "new to me" driver (2016 model?). Any suggestions???

On my own I have narrowed my current preferences down to a Cobra F6, Cobra F6+, Callaway  XR 12 degree, or maybe a Ping G30 SF model. I know many tout the Taylormade M models but the shafts are just way too long for me to handle. My current driver (when in the bag) alternates between a TM Super tri cut down an inch or an old Tour Edge CB-1. Of the choices the Cobra F6+ is currently my favorite. Shortest shaft at 45 inch . But I have read posts where players said the weight slide failed and club needed to be repaired? Thanks.

A senior range partner who's also around 67 and a lefty 12 handicap ex-football player/coach.

He just got a 2016 M1 with a 55gm R shaft cut about 1/2". He's 6'1"-ish with longish arms, and sometimes lands the 215 flag at the range. So, guessing his best carry on the course is 220 or more? I was on a hole adjacent to his on a different course and he seemed to get the ball out there with his 88 to 92mph swing, possibly 240-ish or even more? He let me try it and it swings really fast.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Don't give up on the TM M models.  Several of my playing senior mates have them and are blowing by some of us now down the middle of the fairway with the stock shaft.  I like a shorter shaft also however.  

If you can find a Cleveland Custom Black 10.5 deg with a Bassara E50 x5ct Regular flex shaft, has four settings from 9 deg, 10.5deg,10.5 draw, 12deg, give it a try, this could be your next addition to your bag. Think it a 2015 model. I have one I use on tight courses, leave the Taylor made aero burner in the garage.

Titleist 915 D2-10.5°, Titleist 915 F 15°, PING G25 16.5°, PING G30 Hybrid 19°
PING G25 4-W, Cleveland RTX 588 Rotex 2.0 48°/52°
Rife Bimini Island Series Putter, PING DLX Bag
Sureshot Rangefinder, PING Sensor Glove, Srixon Q star Balls.

The G30 SC Tec is designed to give a draw flight. If you leave ball to right (less shoulder turn?), this one might  work.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

On 1/21/2017 at 6:36 PM, SavvySwede said:

Fitting really is the key.

Absolutely--get fit...stay fit!

For those looking to save a buck or two, become a regular at fitting sessions in your area.  Regardless of whether you intend to buy immediately, take good notes.  Driver prices are insane and most companies come out with an annual model (or at least every two years).  Those $500 drivers go to $250 quick and, if you're patient, you'll get it for under $200 almost immediately after they release the new model.  

As far as older drivers are concerned, I agree that the Razr Fit Extreme with the Matrix Black Tie shaft is a great club, but that shaft is not for everybody--VERY LOW LAUNCH.  Since it's a few years old, they can easily be had under $100.  Another great stick is the R15.  Since Taylormade comes out with a new model every four hours, those $400 drivers can be had for 30% of the original cost.  It's a good deal (if you know what you want...loft, shaft, flex, etc.); however, it can be expensive even if you're paying $100 a pop to hunt and peck when the club is no longer available for fitting.

Bottom line...when you're in the market, get fit with the latest and greatest.  When you're not in the market, get fit with the latest and greatest (or at the least, pound 1,000 balls and try everything Golf Galaxy sells).  Even if Titleist, Callaway, or Ping is your thing, try them all.  If the others aren't your thing, you'll quickly verify...so no harm, no foul.  Some models might surprise you.  Regardless of what you come up with, good notes will help you remember what feels good when you're ready to buy.

Affectionately signed,

The Guy Who Killed Golfsmith

I did consider the Ping G30 SF Tec (draw model). Watched a few of the videos online of players hitting it. It definitely did draw. Problem is my home course has too many tight fairways and holes where aiming right to draw to the middle just will not work.  Draw would fit 3 maybe 4 holes (2 of them Par 5's) but on 4 other holes it would be a nightmare. Still I might try to track one down to demo. Not sure I know anyone still playing the Xtreme Razr model? Most of my playing partners are using TM or Callaway drivers. Season here is still 3 months away so I do have time...but right now I am suffering from the winter itch to buy a club or 2.

Driver :T Edge CB-1 or Cally Mini Driver 14* or GBB 11*
Tour Edge CB2 15* 3 wood (Best Club Ever!)

Callaway XR 5Wood (New BCE!)

Hybrids: Nike SQ 23*  Tour Edge 28*

Irons: TMade RAC  7-PW   T Flight 56 SWedge
Putter: Odyssey 2 Ball Blade, SStroke flatside to hole

On 1/21/2017 at 5:41 PM, cape cod beachfront golfer said:

I happen to have a Bridgestone j715 driver for sale that might be worth considering.  Its a 10.5* with a reg flex shaft at 45".  It has an adjustable hosel and adjustable weight screws which can be used to alter the trajectory.  Also, if you cut the shaft down, the swing weight can be brought back up with a heavier screw.  It's in like-new condition.  If you have any questions please let me know.

j715_6.jpg

j715_4.jpg

j715_3.jpg

Bridgestone j40 445 w/ Graphite Design AD DJ-7
Callaway Steelhead Plus 3 wood w/ RCH Pro Series 3.2
Adams Idea Pro hybrids (3 & 4) w/ Aldila VS Proto 
Bridgestone j33 CB (5-PW) w/ original Rifle 5.5
Bridgestone West Coast 52*, j40 satin 56* & 60* w/ DG S-300
Odyssey White Hot XG #9
Bridgestone B330-RX

Have you given the Great Big Bertha a look?  Before I bought it, I compared it directly to M2, Cobra F6, and Ping G.  For me it resulted in the most consistent drives.  I agree on the M feeling a bit long.  What really stood out to me is that after a while of swinging drivers I was down to the F6 and GBB and started hitting poor shots with the F6.  Chalking it up to messy swings from fatigue I decided to take a few more swings with the Callaway and proceeded to hit them all down the middle with good distance.  That predictability is what sold me on it and with tight fairways that you describe it's nice to know that if you do your part, the club is basically point and shoot.

Diego’s Gear
Driver: Callaway Great Big Bertha at 11.5*
5W: Taylormade Jetspeed 19*
Hybrid: Ping G5 22*
Irons: Mizuno MX-23 4-PW
Wedges: Cleveland RTX 2.0 50*, 54*, 58*
Putter: Ping Ketsch 33”
My Swing: https://thesandtrap.com/forums/topic/93417-my-swing-foot-wedge/

Note: This thread is 2649 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!