IGNORED

Tracking Progress Through Handicap Index

JonMA1
Note: This thread is 2638 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Last year I entered a little over half of my rounds to an online handicap service. The intention was to track my progress throughout the year using that system instead of just tracking my scores. I thought it would be a more accurate way given the variety of courses and tees I play. I also thought it might provide some motivation to become more familiar with the rules - which it did.

I knew early on last year that because solo rounds make up the majority of the golf I play, this would be anything but official and never intended on using the resulting index to enter any type of competition.

I recently learned that those who maintain official handicaps enter almost all the rounds they play. I also learned that even when I knowingly broke a rule, those rounds could/should have been entered using an adjusted gross score. I just didn't realize "casual" rounds were entered. 

Moving forward, I have a bit of a dilemma. Through the online service, I'm a member of a compliant USGA registered club. I have a better understanding of the rules and of how I can enter more rounds. The problem is, I just don't play golf with others very often.

So I'm to decide if I should repeat what I did last year and keep it unofficial (which I'm ok with), or track my progress through GameGolf and post only those rounds played in compliance to the online service. I guess I'm wondering what other in my situation might do, or if I'm overlooking any other options. 

• Upvote 1

Jon

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I like your idea of entering all rounds into GameGolf and then just the "official" rounds into the handicap service. You will have a compliant handicap index and a "tracking" statistic through GameGolf.

• Upvote 1

Brian Kuehn

Good job!  

Game Golf is a good tool, but when comparing it to what you're seeing on your actual handicap, you're comparing apples to oranges because the calculations are completely different.   Rather, I'd recommend that you use one of the many free, non-USGA compliant hcp sites to enter every round you play.  Continue to maintain an official handicap, entering only your eligible rounds.  The added benefit is that you'll gain insight to how you play when you're playing by yourself vs how you play whenever others are around.  

• Upvote 3

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

6 minutes ago, David in FL said:

Rather, I'd recommend that you use one of the many free, non-USGA compliant hcp sites to enter every round you play.  Continue to maintain an official handicap, entering only your eligible rounds.  The added benefit is that you'll gain insight to how you play when you're playing by yourself vs how you play whenever others are around.  

Ditto, best of both worlds here as far as I can see.

• Upvote 1

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

10 hours ago, JonMA1 said:

Tracking Progress Through Handicap Index
I guess I'm wondering what other in my situation might do

Measuring your "progress via handicap" only reflects your playing trend over a period of time.
Scores will usually vary but analyzing aspects of strengths and weakness are a better method.
While GG will give one a perspective of strokes gained in categories, I like to pinpoint the areas
which need attention.
Over the course of a season, I'll adjust my practice routine on an "as needed" basis
with detail to areas which are needed, IE; chipping, putting, full and 3/4 swings, etc.

How would one recognize their priority when only reflecting a score history?

• Upvote 1

Johnny Rocket - Let's Rock and Roll and play some golf !!!

Thanks for the replies. That's what I love about this site, all you single-digit guys always seem willing to help  those of us who are less experienced/knowledgable.

It was getting old having to explain that my index wasn't legitimate. I think I will post as many compliant rounds as I can. The site I belong to allows me to enter both official and practice rounds, but will only apply rounds played with others towards my official handicap. As @David in FL suggested, it would be interesting to see if there's much of a difference between the two. I stay calmer when I'm playing alongside others but overall, the game might be a bit easier when playing solo rounds. 

Screen Shot 2017-02-02 at 6.41.45 PM.png

The perfect scenario would be to play with a regular partner(s) who has a level of respect of the game and the rules. Even better if we used the system to compete against one another (assuming our skill levels were different).

7 hours ago, Club Rat said:

Measuring your "progress via handicap" only reflects your playing trend over a period of time.
Scores will usually vary but analyzing aspects of strengths and weakness are a better method.
While GG will give one a perspective of strokes gained in categories, I like to pinpoint the areas
which need attention.
Over the course of a season, I'll adjust my practice routine on an "as needed" basis
with detail to areas which are needed, IE; chipping, putting, full and 3/4 swings, etc.

How would one recognize their priority when only reflecting a score history?

I'm not suggesting scoring history would help with a specific need. My opinion is that a handicap provides a long-term validation of how I'm practicing. I think it's an accurate measurement because of how it takes the difficulty of a course into consideration. 

But yeah, GameGolf really gives me the specific information on what part of my game needs the most attention. I also find it interesting to look at rounds in the evening and during the off-season. Can't see myself not using the app this year, almost certainly with solo rounds.

Jon

On ‎2‎/‎2‎/‎2017 at 6:44 PM, JonMA1 said:

it would be interesting to see if there's much of a difference between the two.

I've managed our Men's Game for ten years and we maintained a separate handicap of rounds played.
I would also compare players current USGA index's for a trend.
The players who were most active with equal rounds played during the month (Example - 5 rounds in Men's Games and other rounds during a month) generally were comparable with a few players slightly higher or lower.

Guys who posted 10 -15 rounds or more each month, were usually equal or close to (Ghin vs. our recorded games)
Our data = approx. 60+ players with 20+ players (30ish. rounds) 20+ players (20ish. rounds) and rest less than 10 rounds.

Johnny Rocket - Let's Rock and Roll and play some golf !!!

14 hours ago, Club Rat said:

I've managed our Men's Game for ten years and we maintained a separate handicap of rounds played.
I would also compare players current USGA index's for a trend.
The players who were most active with equal rounds played during the month (Example - 5 rounds in Men's Games and other rounds during a month) generally were comparable with a few players slightly higher or lower.

Guys who posted 10 -15 rounds or more each month, were usually equal or close to (Ghin vs. our recorded games)
Our data = approx. 60+ players with 20+ players (30ish. rounds) 20+ players (20ish. rounds) and rest less than 10 rounds.

It'll be interesting. I don't know that I'll be able to play an equal amount of compliant rounds vs those played solo. But I never know what might happen in regards to finding playing partners who won't drive me insane...(I know, that's a short trip).

Jon

Note: This thread is 2638 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!