IGNORED

Better Results "Going After It"

HitAndGiggle
Note: This thread is 2585 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Had an interesting little golf outing yesterday. Played the front of the local course with my son. I have really worked on improving my swing with an instructor over the winter. I wasn't taking the outing very seriously yesterday - just helping my boy and getting out and enjoying the sun. We actually had the course to ourselves. In that round I hit a few excellent shots when I decided to really go after it and swing faster than I normally would. Normally, that would result in worse results. That's what I found interesting. It was as though now that my mechanics are improved I can loosen up and swing more freely(?) The shots where I went after it were right on target, high. Anybody else experience this kind of thing? I've finally gotten to the point where, in my mind, swinging faster means a loose kind of fast vs "muscling up" (haha, love that term). Maybe I should stop thinking - I hurt the team when I think.

Custom fit RBZ irons. Taylormade RBZ driver. Some crappy old high-bounce Macgregor wedge and an even older Mizuno 5 wood. Haven't settled on a ball yet - still looking. Decades of football, weightlifting and boxing came together to create the world's worst golfer. I'm slowly correcting that now. 

44 minutes ago, HitAndGiggle said:

Had an interesting little golf outing yesterday. Played the front of the local course with my son. I have really worked on improving my swing with an instructor over the winter. I wasn't taking the outing very seriously yesterday - just helping my boy and getting out and enjoying the sun. We actually had the course to ourselves. In that round I hit a few excellent shots when I decided to really go after it and swing faster than I normally would. Normally, that would result in worse results. That's what I found interesting. It was as though now that my mechanics are improved I can loosen up and swing more freely(?) The shots where I went after it were right on target, high. Anybody else experience this kind of thing? I've finally gotten to the point where, in my mind, swinging faster means a loose kind of fast vs "muscling up" (haha, love that term). Maybe I should stop thinking - I hurt the team when I think.

This makes sense. . .

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

4 hours ago, MacDutch said:

Yes, I did. But by thinking such things, you make the golfgods angry and make you duff the next full shot. 

LOL...yes.

Custom fit RBZ irons. Taylormade RBZ driver. Some crappy old high-bounce Macgregor wedge and an even older Mizuno 5 wood. Haven't settled on a ball yet - still looking. Decades of football, weightlifting and boxing came together to create the world's worst golfer. I'm slowly correcting that now. 

I think that feeling when the mechanics fall into place at max speed is more or less the same as being "in the zone". The feels never last quite long enough.

:callaway: Big Bertha Alpha 815 DBD  :bridgestone: TD-03 Putter   
:tmade: 300 Tour 3W                 :true_linkswear: Motion Shoes
:titleist: 585H Hybrid                       
:tmade: TP MC irons                 
:ping: Glide 54             
:ping: Glide 58
:cleveland: 588 RTX 62

I had the same thing happen to me today. What was in my mind was a blog by iacas which recommended that you try to keep your RIGHT arm as straight as possible during the swing! What this does is increase your arc and give you greater "extension" through the swing.

I was pretty much tagging the ball all day! Yes, I had a few mishits, but Hell, it's February up here when I don't expect to be playing golf anyway!

What this allowed me to do was make a fuller turn and really "cut loose" on the ball! Despite the feeling of being slightly "out of control" on some shots, I still hit the ball dead on the screws!

Extend your arms and make a turn, people!

• Upvote 2

Note: This thread is 2585 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!