IGNORED

My Swing (woodzie264)

woodzie264

2 minutes ago, iacas said:

And @woodzie264, I'm talking about how your arm stops adducting, and you show me a video where your arms finish in front of your chest? 

🙂

Hahahah - in my vast ignorance of the golf swing, I thought @boogielicious’s recommended drill was aimed at improving my chicken-winging. 

wait...

are you more concerned about the left arm chicken wing or the right arm not adducting?

sorry. I thought I was taking steps to address the issue!

9 minutes ago, iacas said:

Can you make a "normal" looking follow-through? At any speed? It's not that important, more of a curiosity than anything. It's not like Lee Westwood and Jordan Spieth don't make a chicken wing work.

I’ll review some swings to see what it should look like and then replicate with slow swing mapping.

Driver: :callaway: Rogue ST  /  Woods: :tmade: Stealth 5W / Hybrid: :tmade: Stealth 25* / Irons: :ping: i500’s /  Wedges: :edel: 54*, 58*; Putter: :scotty_cameron: Futura 5  Ball: image.png Vero X1

-Jonny

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator
6 minutes ago, woodzie264 said:

I’ll review some swings to see what it should look like and then replicate with slow swing mapping.

I don't want slow swings. Just swing a club in the air, don't hit anything. Do you chicken wing those?

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

9 minutes ago, iacas said:

I don't want slow swings. Just swing a club in the air, don't hit anything. Do you chicken wing those?

no jokes on my chicken legs to match my chicken wing

Driver: :callaway: Rogue ST  /  Woods: :tmade: Stealth 5W / Hybrid: :tmade: Stealth 25* / Irons: :ping: i500’s /  Wedges: :edel: 54*, 58*; Putter: :scotty_cameron: Futura 5  Ball: image.png Vero X1

-Jonny

• Administrator

Okay, so you can do that.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

1 hour ago, woodzie264 said:

no jokes on my chicken legs to match my chicken wing

Self-inflicted burns are the best 😃

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

12 hours ago, woodzie264 said:

@boogielicious, critiques before I start working on this?

While my weight transfer to left foot is ok (I think), in some of the earlier ones, I think I my upper body weight seems to be leaning backwards. Is that ok? I think the latter ones look a little better

Sorry about the haziness...lens must have been foggy or something

I think the motion looks pretty good there. Weight transfer is good. I would push your left hip a bit further forward at setup to get more secondary axis tilt to start. Keep doing this as a warm up and film it.

• Thumbs Up 1

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

12 hours ago, iacas said:

Yeah, meh. He's deeper than Scott, so he's supposed to return even deeper than that? Why?

Plenty of PGA Tour players have less deep lead arms on the downswing than the backswing.

🙂

For me that move set the feel for moving towards the ball, so hip thrust and yank upwards and weird finish.

Matt

Mid-Weight Heavy Putter
Cleveland Tour Action 60˚
Cleveland CG15 54˚
Nike Vapor Pro Combo, 4i-GW
Titleist 585h 19˚
Tour Edge Exotics XCG 15˚ 3 Wood
Taylormade R7 Quad 9.5˚

• Administrator
2 minutes ago, mdl said:

For me that move set the feel for moving towards the ball, so hip thrust and yank upwards and weird finish.

Yeah, I suspect you may not have been as deep as he was, either, on the downswing. The hip thrust stalls the hips out and helps keep the club as inside as it can be.

You should come to Sand Valley with us. Both of you.

• Like 1

On 3/31/2021 at 7:01 AM, iacas said:

Yeah, I suspect you may not have been as deep as he was, either, on the downswing. The hip thrust stalls the hips out and helps keep the club as inside as it can be.

You should come to Sand Valley with us. Both of you.

Sand Valley is super tempting but if I'm gonna travel Portland to Florida I feel I might as well go all the way. Portland to Scotland :-D

Matt

Mid-Weight Heavy Putter
Cleveland Tour Action 60˚
Cleveland CG15 54˚
Nike Vapor Pro Combo, 4i-GW
Titleist 585h 19˚
Tour Edge Exotics XCG 15˚ 3 Wood
Taylormade R7 Quad 9.5˚

• Administrator
1 minute ago, mdl said:

Sand Valley is super tempting but if I'm gonna travel Portland to Florida I feel I might as well go all the way. Portland to Scotland :-D

Sand Valley is in Wisconsin.

Focus on less chicken wing with better FOV camera angle

• Thumbs Up 1

-Jonny

• Administrator

Part of the reason for the chicken wing (which, again, I think you're over-estimating the importance of - you read too much into my curiosity, I think, because it had more to do with rotation rates and SPEED), is that you're creating virtually no axis tilt at impact:

image.png

So you chicken wing a bit to help get the club out of the ground.

To get rid of the chicken wing (not because of how it looks, but because of what it's doing), you'd want to:

• create more axis tilt (hips/weight more forward latter half of the downswing)
  • let your arms speed past and overtake

The bold was more what I was asking about, not the chicken wingy nature. In other words, a bit more like Westwood, and a bit less like Spieth (and I'm specifically including Spieth to show you that it's not about the "looks" here but the functionality/how it works). You're close to Spieth here, but he does some other things with a weaker grip, etc.

01.jpg

02.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, iacas said:

Part of the reason for the chicken wing (which, again, I think you're over-estimating the importance of - you read too much into my curiosity, I think, because it had more to do with rotation rates and SPEED), is that you're creating virtually no axis tilt at impact:

image.png

I see, point taken 

-Jonny

• 4 weeks later...

Went back to standard size grips (from mid-sized). Grip feels much better. Will post a video in near future. 

• Like 1

-Jonny

• Thumbs Up 1

-Jonny

• 2 weeks later...

At a loss right now with my swing. A few weeks ago, shot one of the best 9s of my life then played twice this past we and looked awful. No consistent miss, just all over the place. Went to range today and equally as bad. I suppose I should video a swing. Just a frustrating game. 1 step forward, 2 steps back

-Jonny

1 hour ago, woodzie264 said:

At a loss right now with my swing. A few weeks ago, shot one of the best 9s of my life then played twice this past we and looked awful. No consistent miss, just all over the place. Went to range today and equally as bad. I suppose I should video a swing. Just a frustrating game. 1 step forward, 2 steps back

I shot an 87 and a 79 on consecutive days, with the 79 being on a harder course. What does that mean for next weekend? Absolutely nothing.

Don’t overthink it. Sometimes you just have bad rounds.

• Thumbs Up 1

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

• 5 weeks later...

First videos in a while. Haven’t been to a course in over a month. Had a few bad rounds and wanted/needed a break. Figured I’d video a few swings tonight just to look at things. Admittedly haven’t worked on anything since I last played. Last PP was straighter Right elbow.

-Jonny