IGNORED

My Swing (woodzie264)

woodzie264

1 hour ago, woodzie264 said:

Duly noted, but I don’t hit them nearly hard enough 😏

You hit them hard enough. Balls can get minor scuffs or scrapes on them that cause them to cut the netting slightly as they spin and get caught. The netting can stretch over time or weaken due to exposure to the elements and be just enough for a ball to punch through the open part of the webbing or something weird like that.

It’s just generally not a good idea to let anyone be behind the net when you’re hitting into it.

• Thumbs Up 1

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

5/07/20 - club head back and up

Driver: :callaway: Rogue ST  /  Woods: :tmade: Stealth 5W / Hybrid: :tmade: Stealth 25* / Irons: :ping: i500’s /  Wedges: :edel: 54*, 58*; Putter: :scotty_cameron: Futura 5  Ball: image.png Vero X1

-Jonny

Looking better!

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Played 9holes in the screaming wind. Played like poop. Topped 3 approach shots which is uncharacteristic of me.  

Shot 43 - (posted 42 ESC)

I was +7 on first 5 holes and +1 on last 4

Atrocious 

Driver: :callaway: Rogue ST  /  Woods: :tmade: Stealth 5W / Hybrid: :tmade: Stealth 25* / Irons: :ping: i500’s /  Wedges: :edel: 54*, 58*; Putter: :scotty_cameron: Futura 5  Ball: image.png Vero X1

-Jonny

5/13/20 - club face back & up

First swing of the day:

Second:

Still bending my right elbow > 90*

-Jonny

Here is a drill that Stephan from Evolvr posted for right arm feel. Do this in addition to the COVID right arm drill and it will help with feel and backswing length.

• Thumbs Up 1

Scott

My Swing Thread

1 hour ago, boogielicious said:

Here is a drill that Stephan from Evolvr posted for right arm feel. Do this in addition to the COVID right arm drill and it will help with feel and backswing length.

I found that very helpful, I just filmed the two portions without the string. Those drills definitely helped put my elbow in a better position.  I’ll surely be using them quite a bit - thank you, Sir!

• Thumbs Up 1

-Jonny

(edited)

5/16/20 - first swing of the day. I think the right elbow looks better

2nd Swing

Coming over the top, but I think: 1) my club coming up & back 2) my right elbow positions are looking better.  Not trying to pat myself on the back, but just happy to finally see the time and effort paying off in SOME measure while working on those things.   I’ll keep it up until otherwise directed. Again, I appreciate those of you helping me out

Edited by woodzie264

-Jonny

(edited)

@iacas, Question: over the last couple of weeks as I am pausing at A5 to check my club/elbow positions, I’ve noticed my ball contact feeling so much better. I’ve naturally started to adopt this pause as I’m hitting balls at “full speed” and again, contact feels so much better. Is this a bad thing? Intuitively, I suspect I may be losing swing speed, but if the swing ultimately stops at the transition from backswing to downswing anyways, I am really losing swing speed? Case in point: Hideki Matsuyama. 

Thinking about borrowing someone’s Mevo to check it. 

Edited by woodzie264

-Jonny

(edited)

@boogielicious, @billchao, Scared to post this at the risk of much ridicule, here is a full speed swing with the “pause” at the top. I know it isn’t conventional (and prob for good reason), but my ball contact feels so much better

I am assuming my contact feels better as:

1. Some of my PP positions are getting a little better

2. that the EXTRA TIME at the top is allowing me to go from my backswing swing-thought to focusing on starting the downswing with my hip and in-line impact

ugly, I know....is this a terrible thing or just unconventional?????

***no Charles Barkley jokes!

Edited by woodzie264

-Jonny

The short answer is no, I don’t think it’s a good idea to ingrain a pause like that at the top. Matsuyama is obviously an exception, but he’s an outlier.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

(edited)
13 minutes ago, billchao said:

The short answer is no, I don’t think it’s a good idea to ingrain a pause like that at the top. Matsuyama is obviously an exception, but he’s an outlier.

What’s the long answer? I obviously have a great deal of respect for your opinion, but I’m curious as to why you say that. I’m sure I can drop that pause as quickly as I started doing it, so I won’t mind trying to change it...my question as to your opposition isn’t out of obstinance, but out of sincere curiosity. I’m sure there is a good reason since, as you said, Hideki is an outlier rather than the norm

Edited by woodzie264

-Jonny

9 minutes ago, woodzie264 said:

What’s the long answer? I obviously have a great deal of respect for your opinion, but I’m curious as to why you say that. I’m sure I can drop that pause as quickly as I started doing it, so I won’t mind trying to change it...my question as to your opposition isn’t out of obstinance, but out of sincere curiosity. I’m sure there is a good reason since, as you said, Hideki is an outlier rather than the norm

Well the less short answer is you're taking some of the dynamic movement out of your swing. There are some reactive stuff that happens in the golf swing that you want as a result of good movements in the backswing, power from muscle stretch reflex, that kind of stuff.

Bill

My Swing Thread

1 hour ago, billchao said:

Well the less short answer is you're taking some of the dynamic movement out of your swing. There are some reactive stuff that happens in the golf swing that you want as a result of good movements in the backswing, power from muscle stretch reflex, that kind of stuff.

Fine. Have it your way. 😒

I went out and hit 15-20 balls without the “pause”

-Jonny

11 hours ago, woodzie264 said:

Fine. Have it your way. 😒

I went out and hit 15-20 balls without the “pause”

Use the pause as a training device. Both Bill and I use a transition feel in some of our drills where we go to A4, pause briefly, then take it to A6 to reinforce a feel. We can hit balls from that position, but we see the effects in our swings without the pause. But it took me a few months to see it consistently.

Scott

My Swing Thread

@woodzie264, the pause helps ingrain better sequencing of DS.. i.e. lower body first instead of hands first. In your case it might be helping in reducing built up arm and hand tension. 

It's not necessarily a 'bad' thing as long as you know it's helping a bigger cause - i.e., facilitating better rhythm and proper sequencing. It shouldn't become a thing of its own. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Vishal S.

5/21/20 - club head back & up

first swing of the day:

2nd:

These were the first two swings. While I KNoW my right elbow stays well-short of 90* for my practice swings, I think it definitely continues to be at that cusp with my first “cold swings.”

so frustrating. The process will continue until I can get it right image.png.34d797b4f8a1fe090bb9a4d10d8cb946.png
At least it doesn’t look like I’m coming over the top, right?!

-Jonny

You're doing fine, @woodzie264. Rome wasn't built in a day, and neither will a good golf swing be. Just keep at it.

• Thumbs Up 1

Bill

My Swing Thread