IGNORED

My Swing (woodzie264)

woodzie264

1 hour ago, iacas said:

image.pngimage.pngimage.png

It's not a bad camera angle or weird artifact or something.

It's a grip that creeps into the palm.

And… I can stop mentioning it if you want me to.

I don’t believe my problem is a lack of comprehending the issue; I just ran through my gripping - I feel like the grip is in my fingers with hypothenar imminence atop the grip, BUT when I lower the club as if to address the ball, the butt of the club slides/migrated into my palm. Suggestions?....other than develop my hand muscles so they aren’t so puny?

While I usually don’t use a glove to play, the last 2-3 rounds I’ve started using a glove and it seems to help keep the club from sliding into my palm. The grip feels noticeably better with the glove, but I’m sure I’m not doing something right

Driver: :callaway: Rogue ST  /  Woods: :tmade: Stealth 5W / Hybrid: :tmade: Stealth 25* / Irons: :ping: i500’s /  Wedges: :edel: 54*, 58*; Putter: :scotty_cameron: Futura 5  Ball: image.png Vero X1

-Jonny

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator
1 minute ago, woodzie264 said:

I don’t believe my problem is a lack of comprehending the issue; I just ran through my gripping - I feel like the grip is in my fingers with hypothenar imminence atop the grip, BUT when I lower the club as if to address the ball, the butt of the club slides/migrated into my palm. Suggestions?....other than develop my hand muscles so they aren’t so puny?

I don't think it's about "puny hand muscles" at all. I mean… why does it slip?

I've taught kids and women who undoubtedly have weaker hands than you do. It's not about hand muscle strength IMO. I think you're just letting it happen.

Can you just not unhinge your wrists much or something like that? Is there a limit to your wrist range of motion there?

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

3 minutes ago, iacas said:

I don't think it's about "puny hand muscles" at all. I mean… why does it slip?

I've taught kids and women who undoubtedly have weaker hands than you do. It's not about hand muscle strength IMO. I think you're just letting it happen.

I was trying to be funny. I’ll keep at it in efforts to “change the picture”

8 minutes ago, iacas said:Can you just not unhinge your wrists much or something like that? Is there a limit to your wrist range of motion there?

No motion issues. I’ll review the grip thread

Driver: :callaway: Rogue ST  /  Woods: :tmade: Stealth 5W / Hybrid: :tmade: Stealth 25* / Irons: :ping: i500’s /  Wedges: :edel: 54*, 58*; Putter: :scotty_cameron: Futura 5  Ball: image.png Vero X1

-Jonny

11 minutes ago, woodzie264 said:

While I usually don’t use a glove to play, the last 2-3 rounds I’ve started using a glove and it seems to help keep the club from sliding into my palm. The grip feels noticeably better with the glove, but I’m sure I’m not doing something right

Grip it tighter if it’s moving on you. I doubt it’s a muscle strength issue; it’s probably because it feels different and you revert to what feels normal.

• Like 1

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

1 minute ago, billchao said:

Grip it tighter if it’s moving on you. I doubt it’s a muscle strength issue; it’s probably because it feels different and you revert to what feels normal.

Intuitively I have started to grip tighter, but thought that wasn’t good. I appreciate the help!

-Jonny

1 hour ago, woodzie264 said:

fostering a little girl

OT, but that is really, REALLY cool. Good on you, bro.

Colin P.

Intuitively I have started to grip tighter, but thought that wasn’t good. I appreciate the help!

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

(edited)

@iacas, not sure I see much difference here during the swing, so I tried showing my initial left hand placement in the first video.

481A44CD-65B2-4E51-94C7-5DEB65A547FE.thumb.png.5e2bb27ba244acd3d33c217ce26c47f4.png

At address the grip still appears to be under the hypothenar imminence and, from I can tell, I am not feeling the grip shift into my palm during the swing with my glove on. 

Edited by woodzie264

-Jonny

While I know “feel isn’t real,” subjectively, I feel a big difference in the way the grip sits in my hand and it’s so much better than before. 

-Jonny

(edited)

02711ECA-B46B-4CF1-BE5A-418E44967C94.jpeg.4376223c59aef5805f1607cfe2283246.jpegsome people are beyond help

Edited by woodzie264

-Jonny

Grip - bored at the office 

-Jonny

• 3 weeks later...

8/24/2020

Been gone for two weeks. Still working on grip. Feels much better when I play and my ball striking is much improved. Still, not sure the picture is changing much. I’ll post a few swings later today if time permits.

• Thumbs Up 1

-Jonny

@iacas, before posting my swing a little later today, do you see any problems with this morning’s video (above)? If you don’t like that, there’s no sense in me posting an actual swing since the above video shows my “base” or pre-swing grip

-Jonny

• Administrator
2 hours ago, woodzie264 said:

@iacas, before posting my swing a little later today, do you see any problems with this morning’s video (above)? If you don’t like that, there’s no sense in me posting an actual swing since the above video shows my “base” or pre-swing grip

It looks better. I think you know by this point what you should be seeing/feeling.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

(edited)
34 minutes ago, iacas said:

It looks better. I think you know by this point what you should be seeing/feeling.

I believe that to be the case. I am thrilled to move forward with any of my many other flaws.

Edited by woodzie264

-Jonny

(edited)

8/24 - I think my last PP (prior to refocusing on my grip) was keeping my right elbow at or less than 90*

My swing feels much different than the beginning of the year and last week I hit 7/9 GIR which is awesome for me. I appreciate all that you guys do here!

Edited by woodzie264

-Jonny

(edited)

@billchao/ @iacas, looking at my FOV immediately above, my set up looks funny...like I’m starting with too much weight on back/right foot. As long as I’m transferring my weight to front foot  (5SK #2), is this a problem or no?

I assume because it’s not been brought to my attention by you guys thus far, you don’t consider it to be my worst flaw, but because it’s a “set it & forget it” “no talent required” step, I’ll try to improve on it while working on right elbow angles...if it’s something that needs to change.

***I tried to delete this post, but couldn’t. ***

Addendum: I just rewatched Dave & Erik’s 5SK #2 video and I have a lot of weight transfer issues. I’ll just stick with my PP until I’m told otherwise. 

Edited by woodzie264

-Jonny

@billchao/ @iacas, looking at my FOV immediately above, my set up looks funny...like I’m starting with too much weight on back/right foot. As long as I’m transferring my weight to front foot  (5SK #2), is this a problem or no?

I assume because it’s not been brought to my attention by you guys thus far, you don’t consider it to be my worst flaw, but because it’s a “set it & forget it” “no talent required” step, I’ll try to improve on it while working on right elbow angles...if it’s something that needs to change.

***I tried to delete this post, but couldn’t. ***

Addendum: I just rewatched Dave & Erik’s 5SK #2 video and I have a lot of weight transfer issues. I’ll just stick with my PP until I’m told otherwise. 

Almost everyone has multiple things that can be improved in their swings. The idea with sticking to a priority piece is that it's hard to make one change, let alone several at the same time, and the piece is the one that has the greatest impact on your swing and can often fix more than one issue at the same time.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Bill

My Swing Thread