IGNORED

Modernized Rules Discussion: Ball at Rest

Note: This thread is 1468 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• iacas pinned this topic

I think these are all good changes.  I'm glad to see them removing penalties in situations where people make mistakes that don't give them any advantage.  I also like that the Ball Moved During Search rule requires you to put the ball back under an object if that's where it was, protecting the spirit of the rule.

• Administrator

Ball Moved During Search

This is one I don't particularly love, but can learn to be okay with. I'd argued previously that players should take care around a ball in play. I still think that's important.

But I'm also reminded of how this actually played out. Caddies and the players when looking for their ball would often look nowhere near where their golf ball was, because if they moved it, it was a penalty, but if the outside agencies moved it, it was fine.

So initially I'd be against this, and I can see players arguing over what kind of lie the player has to re-create. But maybe it won't be a big deal.

No Penalty for Moving Ball on the Putting Green

Meh. Whatever. Saw this coming when they added the 18-2 Local Rule. :-P Not a fan, but… it's fine.

Standard for Deciding Why a Ball Moved

They basically took this from 50% to "virtual certainty."

Replacing Ball When Original Spot is Not Known

Fine. Just keeps the ball from rolling away after a drop even though you've estimated a spot.

Ball Moved During Search

Another very good change.

No Penalty for Moving Ball on the Putting Green

I can live with this one.

Standard for Deciding Why a Ball Moved

I like this change in the responsibility clause.

Okay.... no feelings one way or the other.

10 hours ago, iacas said:

Fine. Just keeps the ball from rolling away after a drop even though you've estimated a spot.

Right...and I do like that there's more consistency across the course (eg, the putting green).

• iacas unpinned this topic
Note: This thread is 1468 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!