IGNORED

My Swing (DaveP043)

DaveP043
Note: This thread is 1690 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

4 hours ago, SG11118 said:

@DaveP043

Have you always allowed your back foot to slide or lift up during the contact through follow-through portion of the swing?  Does doing this cause you any problems?

I personally have a problem where I keep reverting to a swing problem where I don't get enough weight transferred to the front foot during the swing.  It comes back every spring.  I fix it for a while during the golf season and play solid golf, but then all of a sudden it comes back and I have to train it away again.  I played nine last night and focused on making sure my back foot slid forward on the follow through like this to ensure weight transfer was happening and liked the results.  I'm tempted to try and make this part of my swing, so wanted to see if you purposely do this, and if it causes you any other problems.  Thank you.

As far as I know, I've always done that.  Its certainly in every video I've posted, going back to the Spring of 2017, but its in no way intentional.  One thing is pretty certain, that foot wouldn't slip out if it had much weight on it, so its an indication that most of my weight has moved to the forward foot already (a good thing).  

As for whether it causes any problems, I don't know.  Its certainly not on the list of things that @iacas has recommended that I change, so its not on the top of any list of priorities for me right now.  

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 hour ago, DaveP043 said:

As far as I know, I've always done that.  Its certainly in every video I've posted, going back to the Spring of 2017, but its in no way intentional.  One thing is pretty certain, that foot wouldn't slip out if it had much weight on it, so its an indication that most of my weight has moved to the forward foot already (a good thing).  

As for whether it causes any problems, I don't know.  Its certainly not on the list of things that @iacas has recommended that I change, so its not on the top of any list of priorities for me right now.  

Thanks for the response Dave.  I figured it was just naturally part of your swing, but wanted to check.  I probably looked at this thread about a year ago, and thought that was a somewhat unique move.  As long as balance is maintained, I would think it is not a bad thing.  

John

I did a very small amount of internet research on this type of move this morning.  You can see this move in swings of Byron Nelson, Greg Norman, Camilo Villegas, and probably others.  It sounds like Norman tried to train himself away from doing this as he felt it led to the front shoulder coming up leading to some blocked shots.  However, Norman and Nelson were both excellent ball strikers, so not sure if they would have been as good of ball strikers without that move?  I didn't see anything yet to scare me away from at least trying to incorporate this move into at least my driver and fairway wood swings to see how it goes.

John

1 hour ago, SG11118 said:

I did a very small amount of internet research on this type of move this morning.  You can see this move in swings of Byron Nelson, Greg Norman, Camilo Villegas, and probably others.  It sounds like Norman tried to train himself away from doing this as he felt it led to the front shoulder coming up leading to some blocked shots.  However, Norman and Nelson were both excellent ball strikers, so not sure if they would have been as good of ball strikers without that move?  I didn't see anything yet to scare me away from at least trying to incorporate this move into at least my driver and fairway wood swings to see how it goes.

I know for sure that I don't do it on purpose, which leads me to wonder whether its a good idea for anyone to do so.  If its a byproduct of something good, that's one thing, but as a specific move you're trying to do, that's different.  

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

I'm more looking for a swing thought or image in my head to try and ensure I transfer my weight to my front foot during the swing.  I don't necessarily care what the back foot actually does as long as I get the weight to the front foot every time I take a full swing.

John

16 minutes ago, SG11118 said:

I'm more looking for a swing thought or image in my head to try and ensure I transfer my weight to my front foot during the swing.  I don't necessarily care what the back foot actually does as long as I get the weight to the front foot every time I take a full swing.

I would just go to the range, get used to where your weight should be, and try to find your own feeling on how you need to get there.

Woods: Ping G15 10.5* Draw Driver;   Ping G Series 14.5* 3 Wood;  Callaway 2019 Apex 19* 3 Hybrid

Irons: Mizuno MP-33 4-PW

Wedges: Ping Glide 1.0 52* SS, Glide Stealth 2.0 56* ES, Hogan 60* SW

Edel E-1 Putter

23 minutes ago, SG11118 said:

You should film yourself and start a swing thread, as this stuff is OT in @DaveP043's.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Upvote 1

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

17 minutes ago, billchao said:

You should film yourself and start a swing thread, as this stuff is OT in @DaveP043's.

Apologies to Dave if OT.  I figured it might help him understand his swing a bit more while maybe giving me a little assistance.  I definitely didn't want to distract him off what he is working on or make him start thinking about something else.  I really like that aspect of his swing.  I'll stop posting on this thread after this post.

I've been thinking about starting my own swing thread.  I was recording myself in my backyard net a couple weeks ago, but at the time had no way to put it into slo-mo.  I think I have a way to do it now, so a swing thread will eventually happen.  The clubs are getting put away for winter soon, so I may wait until spring so I can actually work on it - or maybe I'll post something just as a placeholder so I can compare my spring swing to where it was this fall.  I'm also trying to lose weight right now, so it might be good for me to see how that is coming along next spring.  

Generally getting my weight to the front foot is not an issue for me, but rather a flaw that occasionally rears it's ugly head.  Thanks all.

John

• Administrator

Nearly every phone does slow-mo these days I think.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

• Administrator
9 minutes ago, SG11118 said:

My Samsung Galaxy J7 does not.  Was able to download an app for it that does.

pexels-photo-590701.jpeg?fit=540%2C320&s

Today's smartphones have come a long way from the early days of flip phones with cameras that could barely take a picture. The high-end camera on phones like the Samsung Galaxy J7 have amazing capabilities, like...

Back to the topic, though, please.

• Thumbs Up 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Note: This thread is 1690 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!