IGNORED

My Swing (Noobswingz)

NoobSwingz
Note: This thread is 2472 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Start of left hand grip for me.  This is what I do...It may or may not work for you.  The grip logo is square to clubface.

In the left my grip is secured by the last three fingers on the left hand.  Pointer finger and thumb do nothing.  This is what I  settled on.

IMG_1523.thumb.JPG.f836873197a3885e04d578c6828a96d5.JPG

Again if you feel pain FORGET IT.  I am not a pro just trying to help.

Lol I found out by trying to take a few more pictures that one person doing so is very difficult so I was unable to include the  

wrap and right hand.

The left thumb goes in between the thumb pad anod heel pad on the right hand.

i feel I grip the club in my right with only my two middle finger.  Again pointer and thumb FOR ME are ZERO pressure.

In the right hand for me the club sits here before the wrap  remember it's just for MY grip.  each player has to work and find the exact thing that works for them.  I have short fat fingers so I interlock my right pinkie however it is a very loose interlock.  For me I am nowhere near the base of left index and right pinky base touching nowhere near it.

I interlock the pinkie but the end of my pinkie barely reaches the base of left index when I am holding the club.

i interlock due to short fingers.  Overlapping is a good option.

IMG_1525.thumb.JPG.4a9eff934e4c67ff55e38ace677346e0.JPG

Edited by Jack Watson

• Administrator

A whole nice topic on how to grip a golf club:

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Again there's players like Moe Norman that Palm it in the left more also.

I have a finger grip in both hands and I just posted to show what I do for reference.

if anything causes pain stop.  Golf is not worth injury

many grips can work mine is simply posted as an example of a single digit cap grip that's all

I see iacas linked something.  See,  I told you you would get good help!

Edited by Jack Watson

(edited)

@iacas

currently the post that im trying to replicate.....im really missing something tho and coming from a way different grip. i know mikes post seems dummy proof but apparently......i found the dummy loop hole lol. i really think the thing getting me is placement of my right hand. how low or how high and only somewhat the rotation of it. the problem im having is applying too much pressure from the lifeline of my right hand into the top and middle joint of my left thumb. this is me trying to get my index pad (green dot as mike puts it) onto the side of the club. to have the dot on the bottom right (slightly weak?) gives me room for my left thumb. but putting it where he shows, kinda has my right hand on top of my thumb.

i know im rambling at this point. i really wanna get this down if it can improve my game.....ill keep working on it and try what @Jack Watson showed

Edited by NoobSwingz

IMO grip should in no way cause pain PERIOD.

For example several rounds ago I was faced with an approach to a front pin and tall trees were in my way.  It called for a high long short iron.  I've done it before but on this occasion I swung hard and chunked hard.

Felt nothing pain wise just suffered embarrassment.

Pain is very serious if pain is felt stop it.

i totally agree, definitely not worth the pain.....just trying to find that right spot or one little thing im doing wrong to get this right. im sure if it works for most other people then im just doing something wrong. not that my hands are super special and dont work like everybody elses lol.

is it ok or anything major with moving my right hand down a little? once i clear the first thumb joint it helps alot.

thanks for the pics @Jack Watson. i cant test it in action but i think u helped with a problem i had with my left hand. i was starting the club closer to the knuckle of index instead of closer to finger tip knuckle. that helped me get the snuff box in place easier without twisting my wrist to get it there.

I am no pro but imo the first pic you put up had the hands separated too much.  Maybe too close together also doesn't work for you.

I just really hope you 'find it' by whatever means necessary.

I just hope I helped if not no biggie many here are way better than I will ever be.

@NoobSwingz,

Can you have someone film you gripping your club from the front and from the side? I think it will help us understand the issue you are having. Also, tell us exactly where the pain is occurring.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

@boogielicious

I definitely will if I don't get it here soon. Crossing my fingers I might have found a large problem right b4 bed last night. I was taking the heel pad of left hand on top of grip thing waayyy too literally. Making my hand large and bunched up on top of grip. Will try to lay it much flatter and stretched out today and hit a few balls.

This is definitely the change that I like the least in the last year lol. But I'll keep at it. Shots are pretty inconsistent but I'm sure that's normal with a big change from what I was doing. Lost about 6 practice balls in the woods to slices....luckily the net caught most of them!

17 hours ago, NoobSwingz said:

Quick question I was curious about....should my hands and club be continuing half moon through and after impact? Or going towards the target?

I like thinking about this image.  I like feeling like the right thumb on the through swing finishes over the left shoulder.  IMO you don't want to actively twist the club while swinging but you also don't want to tighten up the hands at impact and prevent the face from squaring up.  Again perpetual motion drill is great (for me).  Grip is looking more conventional.  As your swing develops you may need more tweaking but it looks like you are starting to get a better concept of it.  For sure it s gonna feel weird at first.

IMG_1527.thumb.PNG.3c3aaf9d0e255e3feff7374114405bed.PNG

Edited by Jack Watson
Added comment

The big mistake I made for many years was trying to apply force...to 'try to really crush the ball' 

Imo it's way more important to develop a correct swinging motion and then locate the ball in the path of that swinging motion.

The ball weighs very little but what I was trying to do which was very wrong was to try to apply force as if it was very heavy.

I really like making a swinging motion without a ball there so that there's no hit intention at the ball.  I like to video this motion and look to see if it comes somewhat close to the image above.  Then I take the feel of that and apply it with a ball there.

It sounds stupid but in golf we simply swing through the location where the ball is.  Again sounds like a no brainer but failure on my part to 'get' this hurt my full swing game for many years.

We allow the clubface to square up and after impact in the through swing the toe of the club carries us into a nice finish over the left shoulder.

On 4/7/2017 at 9:47 PM, NoobSwingz said:

This is definitely the change that I like the least in the last year lol. But I'll keep at it. Shots are pretty inconsistent but I'm sure that's normal with a big change from what I was doing. Lost about 6 practice balls in the woods to slices....luckily the net caught most of them!

That looks better. It is a little on the weak side (the V in your right hand is pointing at your ear), but that is OK to start. Keep practicing gripping the club and also get used to how it feels during slow swings and then faster swings. 

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

5 hours ago, boogielicious said:

It is a little on the weak side (the V in your right hand is pointing at your ear

So right hand needs to rotate slightly to the right?

Note: This thread is 2472 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!