IGNORED

My Swing (Noobswingz)

NoobSwingz
Note: This thread is 2473 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I've been Playing Golf for: 8 months
My current handicap index or average score is: 110
My typical ball flight is: Spray, or hard draw with driver
The shot I hate or the "miss" I'm trying to reduce/eliminate is: hard draw with driver

I know it's not the best but here is a quick vid from last night. I will of course update when I get a chance. I just wanted to throw this out there to get an eye on the major flaws. I'm sure u can tell but I have a baseball background lol.

I tend to uppercut some and pretty sure I'm overturning my hips and squashing the bug with my feet....not sure how to fix this cuz I can't get away from it.

Videos: 

This looked to b a good hit for me. Dead center of net.

Also, can anybody suggest a nice and free video editing app so I can put these in slow motion

Edited by NoobSwingz

Welcome to TheSandTrap!  I won't critique your swing, there are much more knowledgeable people here who will help.  I suggest that you read :

https://thesandtrap.com/b/playing_tips/filming_your_swing

to help get the most out of your video in the future.  I use my cell phone for video, and the slow motion setting seems to work OK.  You'll want to record in slow motion, rather than try to slow down standard motion recordings.  

Since you;'re new here, you may want to go to the Welcome Everyone section and introduce yourself.  While you're there, take a minute and add yourself to the members' map

• Upvote 1

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

(edited)
55 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

and the slow motion setting seems to work OK.  You'll want to record in slow motion, rather than try to slow down standard motion 

Funny that u mention this cuz I literally was just playing with my phone and found this right b4 I read ur post. Then researched it and saw its 120fps as opposed to 30fps! Wish I woulda known that last night :p

Edited by NoobSwingz
Fix quote

It looks like you dont have any issue creating power, so thats a plus. As @DaveP043 mentioned a slowed down version with the camera in the proper position and the "my swing thread masters" get you fixed right up with some tips. 

Kyle Paulhus

If you really want to get better, check out Evolvr

:callaway: Rogue ST 10.5* | :callaway: Epic Sub Zero 15* | :tmade: P790 3 Driving Iron |:titleist: 716 AP2 |  :edel: Wedges 50/54/68 | :edel: Deschutes 36"

Career Low Round: 67 (18 holes), 32 (9 holes)

First off, welcome aboard and congrats on taking the "My Swing" plunge. You will thank yourself for it. ;-)

1 hour ago, NoobSwingz said:

Also, can anybody suggest a nice and free video editing app so I can put these in slow motion

Like @DaveP043 mentioned, you'll definitely want to record at a higher frame rate upfront. Playing back that video at a "normal" frame rate is was creates the slow motion effect. Also, make sure to check all of the available settings on your phone as you may be able to go higher than 120fps. I can go up to 240fps on my IPhone 6s.

As for software, I use Kinovea for viewing and analysis. It's free and works in Windows (unlike Analyzr :-().

• Upvote 1

Jake
"If you need to carry a water hazard, take one extra club or two extra balls." - Unknown (to me)

My Swing | Course Vlogs | Favorite Post | Roamin' for life. (MCATDT)

I'd say put the driver away for now.  IMO you are in danger of creating some bad habits if you keep doing that a lot.  Speed will never be an issue for you so that's good.

You move the body in a lean towards the target going back very slow and long then really jump on it as you fall back going forward.  IMO take a six iron or nine iron something and use that for now.  I would say if you must use driver put the ball off your left instep or thereabouts for starters.   

This is you at the top and finish.  Look at your head positions relative to the trees.

IMG_1466.thumb.PNG.94d25e3ba4e10e3baec67c42dc6c648e.PNG

IMG_1467.thumb.PNG.76233c58f5b9bc05ae74fe86ac395694.PNG

Edited by Jack Watson
Spelling

Almost seems like speed might be my problem. If I can't utilize it correctly. All the forward momentum is making it hard for me to control it lol. I'm actually not trying to kill the ball here either. This to me feels like a smooth swing, not a grip and rip type thing.

I create a snap hook or hard draw most of the time with the driver which is why I'm trying to work with it. I don't do it with my Irons. They are inconsistent tho. 50% straight and other 50% either left or right push but I think this is also related to my hips? 

After watching this video I realized just how bad it as. Im finding it hard to get the forward motion correct and keep from overturning my hips. I tried throwing my hips at the ball tonight instead of all the way thru impact. Prolly lose a little speed but that seemed to tame it some; hard to tell without being on the range.

Any drills u can think of to help me stay down and not pull up/back/twist so much in follow thru? It may be as simple as slow down but I honestly don't know if I can without messing everything else up lol

The advice I would give is do a perpetual motion drill where you swing back over the right shoulder then forward over the left shoulder.  In the middle swish the grass.  Keep going and let the body respond as it will.  If you do this some you should start to find where the swing needs to be relative to you.  

Another one that's good is hitting with both feet together.

my advice would be forget thinking of conscious control of the lower body and swing the clubhead.

The ball just gets in the way of the motion.

Just my opinion but trying to work on driver is not good at first.

Another good idea would be have the pros here look at your grip and make sure it's not way off in some way.

2 hours ago, NoobSwingz said:

After watching this video I realized just how bad it as. Im finding it hard to get the forward motion correct and keep from overturning my hips. I tried throwing my hips at the ball tonight instead of all the way thru impact. Prolly lose a little speed but that seemed to tame it some; hard to tell without being on the range.

Its hard not to with how you set up to the ball and how you turn. 

First, the ball is too far back in your stance. Then the angle of your spine is facing the target at the top of the swing. The angle being, if you draw a line from the top of your head to belt buckle when looking face on at your swing. This means the view your eyes have of the ball is in front of it. This is why you try to save it by falling away from the target. If you didn't you would hit the ball into the ground. 

I would check out this thread here, 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

NoobSwingz, I was going to type something up about how you move towards the target on the back swing and fall back on the down swing.  Saevel25 beat me to it.  Follow his advise.  I would also suggest some beginner lessons from a PGA Pro. As you are still kind of just starting out I recommend that get the proper foundation straight away.  I wish I had done so.  Bad habits are easier to break before they become ingrained.   mvmac has much sage swing advice in the swing thoughts section that will keep you reading and working for quite awhile.  Also invest in a small note book for your range sessions so you can make notes on what you are working on, what worked, what did not.  It will also keep you on task so you are only working on a couple things. 

Also it won't be easy. struggles and setback will happen.  But if you put in the time at the range and work at it you will see big improvements. Your scores will drop, level off and drop some more.  Good Luck!

• Upvote 1

Driver G with Tour 65 shaft 10.5 neutral setting by :ping:
3W G30, #3 and #4 Hybrid, Irons 5 to GW G25 by :ping:
54 & 58 Glide Wedges and putter Cadence TR Anser 2  Traditional also by :ping:
Ball TriSpeed Tour by :srixon: Shoes M Project Wide by :footjoy:
Bag and Push cart by :sunmountain:

3 hours ago, WildTurkey said:

I would also suggest some beginner lessons from a PGA Pro. As you are still kind of just starting out I recommend that get the proper foundation straight away.  I wish I had done so.  Bad habits are easier to break before they become ingrained.   mvmac has much sage swing advice in the swing thoughts section that will keep you reading and working for quite awhile.  Also invest in a small note book for your range sessions so you can make notes on what you are working on, what worked, what did not.  It will also keep you on task so you are only working on a couple things. 

I agree with this.  You're new to golf, this is the time to get the basic stuff sorted out properly.  There's a lot of great advice through the videos on this page:

For a beginner, I'd suggest the pages on a Functional Grip and Good Golf Posture are particularly applicable.  Beyond that, the instructors on this site strongly recommend (and this makes a lot of sense to me) working on just one thing at a time, the most important thing, and they call it your Priority Piece.  The thing is, its not easy to figure out what that most important thing is, that's where good instruction is really helpful.  I've been playing for over 40 years, I'm a decent player, I can see things in your swing that look wrong, but I have no idea what the most important thing for you to work on is.  Get some advice from a good instructor, figure out what your priority piece, and work on that.

• Upvote 1

Dave

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 

11 hours ago, saevel25 said:

First, the ball is too far back in your stance. Then the angle of your spine is facing the target at the top of the swing. The angle being, if you draw a line from the top of your head to belt buckle when looking face on at your swing. This means the view your eyes have of the ball is in front of it. This is why you try to save it by falling away from the target. If you didn't you would hit the ball into the ground. 

Couple quick thoughts while I'm at work.....

I feel like I'm keeping my center mass / head directly over the ball which is something I've really been working on. Trying to keep from swaying backward. I can see the spine angle ur talking about but not sure how to fix it cuz I thought I was keeping my hips centered as I turn. I've been making sure my nose stays centered over the ball. Should I be falling slightly behind the ball and following my hips backward some with my head to keep spine angle correct? Or should my head stay centered and not move at all thru the backswing (the way I think I'm already doing it)

Several ppl have told me to move the ball forward in my stance but I figured I would just end up catching it further thru my rotation and shanking it even further left

i tried working on the center pivot to fix the spine angle this week. i think its messing me up at the moment cuz it sure feels weird twisting my hips that far without any other body movement. ill keep at it tho. i practiced way too much this week trying to get that down before my game this weekend and now my hands are killing me lol. gonna have to take a break this week and get back to it maybe friday or something. ill post a video as soon as i can so u can see if theres any progress in it :)

should i edit top post and add new videos there or just in new replies as we go along

33 minutes ago, NoobSwingz said:

should i edit top post and add new videos there or just in new replies as we go along

New replies. Over time, eCh swing thread is a nice journal over time.

Good job sticking with it. Many give up too early. One idea is to video your DRILL. Sounds strange but we can tell you if you are doing it right. If the drill is wrong, then repeating it won't help. 

Key is to change the picture. So feeling strange is good, because you're breaking a bad habit. Let's just hope you're just replacing it with a GOOD habit. 

• Upvote 1

My Swing

Driver: :ping: G30, Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0, Putter: :cleveland:, Balls: :snell:

Just doing my backswing in slow-mo and stopping at the top to see if my hips are centered below my head.....I think it's working cuz I tried to show a buddy of mine today the way I was doing it in the video above (incorrect way)....and I had to try a couple times to make my body do it as bad as above lol. So it's soaking in

Oh, and b4 I forget....wanted to mention that I was fading my Irons yesterday a solid 30 yards  pretty regularly after this change....so now I gotta diagnose that

Generally I kinda spray my Irons but they are straight pushes in either direction a little off target

9 minutes ago, NoobSwingz said:

Oh, and b4 I forget....wanted to mention that I was fading my Irons yesterday a solid 30 yards  pretty regularly after this change....so now I gotta diagnose that

No, you don't.  You don't know enough to diagnose that.  Your buddies don't know enough.  I don't know enough Competent instruction is what you should be looking for.  A single task, a single priority.  

So far, in the 4 days since your initial post, you've talked about 5 or 6 different diagnoses, with a similar number of different swing thoughts.  Stop self-diagnosing, get some competent help.  

• Upvote 4

Dave

I agree with you Dave, i would definitely get lessons if i could but unfortunately stuff like that isnt in my budget. And i just like throwing my thoughts out there. its not necessarily something that im trying to do right away. im gonna keep working on the center pivot idea until i can get that down

thanks for the ideas and advice. i promise im taking it in :p

still plan on posting a pic of my grip like somebody else mentioned along with my next video maybe over the weekend

Note: This thread is 2473 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!