IGNORED

Spike Marks

DrvFrShow
Note: This thread is 2580 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

55 minutes ago, David in FL said:

Not me.  Apparently not any golf courses either.  

Just my observations from working on courses back then vs playing a lot now .

Your mileage may vary

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

11 minutes ago, Patch said:

I hardly ever see actual soft spike  golf shoes being worn anymore.

I tend to golf with  seniors, and most of the shoes I see being worn are tennis shoes. These tennis shoes might have decent tread on them, but they are still just tennis shoes. 

Most spike damage I see are drag marks which tells me the wearer is not picking their feet up when walking.

I don't wear spiked shoes of any kind, since I prefer wearing a comfortable walking shoe. I do own a pair of soft spikes, but I only wear them in wet, slippery weather. That or if the course requires spikes of some king, which is pretty rare. 

It probably depends upon your location. AZ has mostly flat and dry courses, whereas many other places there could be slopes and mud all over the place. Spikes help a lot just to keep you from slipping around during your swing.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

14 hours ago, Rulesman said:

How does that work? Poa annua grow as a result of seed germination. How do spikes make any difference? It is not a fungus or disease.

The annual form of Poa annua produces stemmy seed heads that often grow in a circular pattern around the leaves, especially when the turf is mowed regularly. The perennial types of Poa annua essentially survive only in very close-cut turfs like golf course greens.

the course says that people's spikes carry the seeds in from the fairway and other parts of the course. That's the reason they don't allow them. They've been able to maintain nearly poa free greens because of it. that's their logic.

and Eric, thanks for the link. I've been living under a rock regarding the proposed rule changes over the winter. The weather has been really nasty that I haven't even picked up a golf club yet. Too cold to even go to the range. Hoping to sometime next week and at least get to the driving range and see if I even have a swing. One local course is still a swamp. We had so much rain this winter it was insane - even for WA.

So basically in 2019, there would be absolutely no excuse for anyone to move their ball since they'll be able to repair scuff marks on the green. Thanks.

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

15 minutes ago, DrvFrShow said:

the course says that people's spikes carry the seeds in from the fairway and other parts of the course. That's the reason they don't allow them. They've been able to maintain nearly poa free greens because of it. that's their logic.

Unless shoes are wet or muddy, sufficient seeds will not stick to shoes to make any difference. They certainly are no more likely to stick to spikes that a pimple or plain soled shoe.

Interestingly Poa annua, or annual meadow grass (known in America more commonly as annual bluegrass or simply poa). Many golf putting greens, including the famously fast Oakmont Country Club greens, are annual bluegrass

• Administrator
On 4/8/2017 at 8:07 AM, David in FL said:

Not me.  Apparently not any golf courses either.  

Exactly.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

On 4/8/2017 at 3:28 PM, Rulesman said:

Unless shoes are wet or muddy, sufficient seeds will not stick to shoes to make any difference. They certainly are no more likely to stick to spikes that a pimple or plain soled shoe.

Interestingly Poa annua, or annual meadow grass (known in America more commonly as annual bluegrass or simply poa). Many golf putting greens, including the famously fast Oakmont Country Club greens, are annual bluegrass

And most of the greens up here are poa, which if you play on them before noon are fine. If you putt on them in the late afternoon can be a nightmare.

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

Note: This thread is 2580 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!