IGNORED

David Duval: Can He Make A Comeback?

RX Phoenix
Note: This thread is 5017 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. How Will David Duval Do This Year?

• A Total Bust . . . fades away
    • Plays Decent . . . but not good enough for card
    • Plays Well . . . gets card for 2009
    • Plays Great . . . gets a victory

...it's difficult to know how much Duval has made from golf, but I would conservatively estimate it to be in the region of about

Well he's earnt just under $17 million in his

career from tournaments alone , and being as he's not as high-profile, globally, in the way of Woods, Mickelson, Garcia, Els, etc, I'm wondering where you got the remaining $103 million from.
TaylorMade R9 460 9.5°
TaylorMade R9 13°
TaylorMade RAC TP MB 3-PW
TaylorMade RAC TP 54°.10 / 58°.10
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

....Duval has received $20mn from his deal with Nike alone, so add that to his career winnings of $17mn and that's $37mn already.

He was with Titleist before that, along with Tommy Hilfiger, and Oakley over a number of years before this (there were other sponsors). We need to take in to account appearance fees and bonuses (winning the Open Championship), and also any private investments so the figure must be approaching at least $100mn. In his World Number 1 period he must have been earning in the region of $30 mn a year.

....Duval has received $20mn from his deal with Nike alone, so add that to his career winnings of $17mn and that's $37mn already.

That'll do it.

TaylorMade R9 460 9.5°
TaylorMade R9 13°
TaylorMade RAC TP MB 3-PW
TaylorMade RAC TP 54°.10 / 58°.10
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

It's sad to see a No. 1 player in the world "lose it" completely. Anyway, I think his heart isn't in golf anymore. He doesn't know what else to do, so he starts playing again, and his results show his heart isn't in it anymore. Sad, sad, ...

At least he doesn't need the money. On the plus side, that should free him from worrying about where his next meal is coming from and actually help his focus on golf. Imagine if you were between 126-150 in ranking and worrying about your card, etc. That kind of pressure will screw you up after a while.

Driver: TaylorMade RocketBallz 10.5-deg
Woods: Cobra Bio Cell+ 3W and 5W
Hybrids: Bobby Jones Workshop Hybrid 3 (20-deg) and 5 (25-deg)
Irons: Srixon XXIO7 from 6 - PW
Wedge: Srixon XXIO7 GW and SW

Putter: Bobby Grace DCT Captiva 34"; Ball: Sirxon Soft Feel; Shoes: Footjoy

It seems to me that David is just going through the motions. I think he has lost the desire to play at the highest level. He's got a happy home life and enjoys spending time away from the course obviously. He's got more money than he probably needs, and I don't think he's willing to commit to the long hours and lonely lifestyle that is life on the PGA Tour. I would love to see him at the top of the game again, but I just don't think he really cares that much.

I would venture to say that if David is playing in the Texas Valero Open, he cares about the game and wants to win. If I was a guy who was playing as badly as he has been for the last number of years, who had tons of money and a great home life, I wouldn't be subjecting myself to missing cuts on a weekly basis unless I REALLY wanted to get good again.

In my bag:

Driver: SQ 9.5, Graphite Stiff Shaft
3 Wood: Diablo 13 degree, Stiff Shaft
2 Hybrid: SQ 18 degree, Steel Stiff ShaftIrons: MP-30, 3-PWSW: 56* Vokey Copper spin-milledFW 52* VokeyFlat Stick Zing 2Ball: Pro V1x

It's sad because I really want to see him contend again but I don't think it's going to happen. He's got too much ground to make up and the talent is just getting deeper and deeper on tour.

He had his time, but it's passed.

and 12 years away from the champions tour...

Smile, it makes people wonder what you're up to...

Nike Sasquatch 460 10.5 degree driver Diamana shaft
MP-57 3-pw DG R300 shafts
MX700 Hybrid Cleveland CG14 50 degree wedge Nike SV 56 degree wedgeReid Lockhart 56 degree sandwedge (plays like a 60 degree, hence the two 56 degree wedges) Odyssey...

That flash in the pan is 5 under through the front 9 at The Memorial. I think if he gets his short game together he can win again

That flash in the pan is 5 under through the front 9 at The Memorial. I think if he gets his short game together he can win again

I don't think its his short game that has let him down. He has problems with driving accuracy.

I don't know, as he's a guy who always lived by his impeccable ball-striking, rather than his short game abilities. The Golf Channel was talking about players like Tiger and Natalie Gulbis coming off long injury layoffs, hitting the ball all over the place but still contending (and in Tiger's case winning once) because they chip and putt like nobody's business. John Daly to an extent too. He's bomber rather than a ball-striker so he's not concerned with precision like Duval and he still has that great touch around the greens.

My Tools of Ignorance:

Driver: Ping I20 9.5*
Woods/Hybrids: Cobra AMP 3W and 3 HY

Irons: Cobra AMP 4-GW

Wedges: Callaway Forged Copper 56* and 60*

Putters: Scotty Cameron  35" (Several of the flow neck blade variety)

Ball: Bridgestone B330-RX and Srixon Z-Star

Bag: Nike Performance Carry

Haha.. the minute I say something.. LOL. I'm a Duval fan but he's gone bogey, par, double in his last 3

Yep, he's finished. Flash in the pan.

I agree he is probably finished, but winning 13 PGA titles in 4 years, including a major, and hitting No. 1 in the world, is not, in my book, a "flash."

I agree he is probably finished, but winning 13 PGA titles in 4 years, including a major, and hitting No. 1 in the world, is not, in my book, a "flash."

its nice to see him play a good round today for sure.

Whats Inside My Nike Sasquatch Tour Bag..

Driver: SQ 5900 Sumo2
3 Wood: Old School 200 Series Metal
Hybrid: 19 degree Burner RescueIrons (4-AW): Victory Red Full CavityWedges: VR Forged-- 56 degree (10 bounce), 60 degree (6 bounce)Putter: My trusty old Ping blade.Ball: NXT Tour

Duval's got some game still...5 under for 9, thats pretty impressive...finished 1 under though.

He can be a top 20 player again I feel, he just needs to be patient, eat the right food, work on his driving consistency, and realise that he can still play.

It will take some time but in a year or two, he will be there.

Ive noticed that he usually does well at the British Open, which leads me to think that he is not always too enthusiastic about playing in the smaller events.

Every player on tour has a good round in them (re Ian Baker Finch last week), but it is another thing altogether to string 4 consecutive rounds together.

Note: This thread is 5017 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!