IGNORED

David Duval: Can He Make A Comeback?

RX Phoenix
Note: This thread is 4998 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. How Will David Duval Do This Year?

• A Total Bust . . . fades away
    • Plays Decent . . . but not good enough for card
    • Plays Well . . . gets card for 2009
    • Plays Great . . . gets a victory

Missed the cut by 2 at the Buick after starting out on the tough South Course with a 76, he comes back with a 71 on the North Course. Finishes ahead of K.J. Choi, Jeff Ogilvy and many others.

That 71 puts him right in the mix compared to what the other pros were shooting except for the leaders, so that has to be encouraging for him. I say it's too early to write him off, he's got a lot of rust to get rid of but obviously his game isn't too far gone to at least play a decent round by pro standards.

2009 Burner R
FT-I Fusion Squareway 3W 15* Fujikura Speeder Fit-On R
5W R7 R
FT Fusion Hybrids Draw 3/21*, 4/24*
G5 5-PW X-forged Vintage: 52.12, 56.14MDScotty Cameron: Newport 2 ProV1

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I liked his game this week, even though he didn't make the cut he did show that he can still play and hopefully this gave him a lot of confidence for the future.
What's In The Bag?

Driver - Rapture 10.5 Epic 68g X-Pure - Balance Certified
Fairway Metal - Titleist PT 18°
Irons - Mizuno MP-67 3-PW Project X 6.0 Wedges - Mizunos R Series Chrome 52°, 56°, 58° Project X 6.0 Putter - Yes! C-Groove Callie-f - Balance Certified Bag - Ping Freestyle...

Missed the cut by 2 at the Buick after starting out on the tough South Course with a 76, he comes back with a 71 on the North Course. Finishes ahead of K.J. Choi, Jeff Ogilvy and many others.

71 on the North Course is about like 76 on the south, I think.

Look it up at pgatour.com. That's pretty much what happened.

Best, Mike Elzey

In my bag:
Driver: Cleveland Launcher 10.5 stiff
Woods: Ping ISI 3 and 5 - metal stiffIrons: Ping ISI 4-GW - metal stiffSand Wedges: 1987 Staff, 1987 R-90Putter: two ball - black bladeBall: NXT Tour"I think what I said is right but maybe not.""If you know so much, why are you...

i hope he does well, we saw glimpises of it recently at the US Open (06) and the British Open (06) - i think. I hope he gets it together but i wonder whether he will be happy and have the desire to be a 'winner' again. I think after a season or two if he does get his tour card without a victory whether the self-confidence will go again...

• 5 weeks later...
Duval is great. I am hoping that he makes a comeback in a big way.

I remember those Nike commercials with him stealing Tigers driver, they were hilarious.
"When I play with him, he talks to me on every green. He turns to me and says, 'You're away.' "
-Jimmy Demaret referring to Ben Hogan

In The Bag:
Driver: Cleveland HiBore XL (10.5 -conforming)3 Wood: MacGregor V-FOIL5 Wood: Mizuno MP-001Irons: Ben Hogan BH-5 (4-PW)Wedges:52 - Nike SV Tour56 - Cleve...

As much as I hated to, I picked the second choice. I have always liked Duval and would love to see him earn his card back, but sadly I do not think he can make up that much ground. Unless he starts playing a little better, which could happen.

Hi

the first thing DD nneds to do this year is make a cut amd then he can progress from there. At his level most of the game is between the ears!

He needs to keep playing and he will come back eventually-in recent years ive noticed that he tends to take a tourney off after a successful one, and in his position he cannot afford to do this in my view, not that im a leading authority in golf (!).

bb

Hi

Basherbaker69:

I really have to admire your optimism for David Duval and John Daly. You have been preaching the same thing over and over for as long as I've been a member here. You've also given us a couple of threads to discuss these guys. While I continue to have the same hope for both players I just can't see it happening. I think they are done. Double D hasn't even cracked the top 10 in a tournament in 5 1/2 years. Sure he's had injuries, etc but that's a long time no matter how you spin it. He's 3 over at the Honda (and I haven't checked in 15 minutes so it could be worse now) and likely on his way to another MC. I guess I could see big John surprising every so often but I just don't see it for DD. I hope I'm wrong!

Driver: 09 Launcher 10.5
4 Wood: 09 Launcher Steel 17
Hybrid: Baffler DWS 20 Aldila Reg
Irons: AP1 4-GW Steel
Wedges: 588 Gunmetal 56 & 60Putter: Studio Style Newport 2Ball: NXT Tour

Hi Cleveland Gunmetal

i hope he makes the cut in the Honda-i just wonder if he cares anymore though..perhaps all he is doing is playing out the obligations of his Nike contract..with no sponsor and no prospect of getting another, he'll be done then sadly...the end of an era.

What really is sad though is that he has proven ability but he just can't seem to tap in to it anymore...someone once said 'when the cupboard is full im not hungry anymore'(?).

I don't know what he'll do after golf to keep the money rolling in because he does not have any business interests as far as i can see.

bb

I'll see him tomorrow in person at the Honda. He is paired with Davis Love and Woody Austin. The last time I saw him play was at the Doral back when he was on fire.

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

Looks like he missed the cut again. If he could have had a round like he did the first day he had a shot to make it. Not good at all 3 doubles and 8 bogeys.

72-78 which comes out to 10 over...Cut.

Too bad, he has a lot of fans out there.

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

I think he'll get his card. I hope the best for him
What's in the bag

Driver: Speed LD F Driver 9.5°
5 wood: 909F2 18.5°
Hybrid: EDGE CFT 21°Irons: i5 - 4-pwWedges: CG10 52°, 56°, & 60° degreePutter: Udrainium Doc 15Ball: DT SoLoHome Courses: Spring Lakes Golf Club, Stouffville, ON & Ocean Ridge Plantation Golf, Sunset...

. . .I saw David Duval on T.V. at the tournament last weekend and he has gained 50 lbs.!! I always remembered him as being very fit and in fact, had remarked that after his injuries slowed him down that he had to get in real good shape to compete with the likes of the Tiger Wood's on the tour. Well. . .I don't know what happened but I think he is spending too much time at the dinner table!! I do wish him well, but the PGA tour is not like it used to be where you could just tee it up and hope for the best! Almost everyone works out on a regular basis now and if you don't you will be left in the dust!

Mike

. . ."Commit to each shot. . .and believe"!!

In my R7 Tour Bag:

Driver: Taylor Made R1 "Black" Aldila RIP Phenom Stiff Shaft  Fairway:  RocketBallz #3 (15 degree) Stiff Shaft  Hybrid:  #3 (19 degree) Stiff Shaft,  Hybrid:  #5 Burner (25 degree) Stiff Shaft   Irons & Wedges: CGB Max '08 Black Steel Stiff Shaft. PW, SW, & LW. Putter: Rossa Modena...

One above the cut line. He should be able to make it with the soft greens, but made 2 bogies against 1 birdie in 5 holes.

I'm not betting on him making it.

When he worked out and dropped all those pounds he looked great, but he played terrible . . . probably one of those guys who find a better tempo when they have some pounds on them.

He has been hovering around the cut line now in several events, is playing steady, it's not too late to say that he has a chance to improve and move into the money, all is not lost for DD. Right now the magic isn't there, but he is one of those guys who had it and we don't know exactly where he got it from, so we can't be sure that it won't show up again at some point.

I remember Raymond Floyd would sometimes get into the zone in his career and would be 'the man', when he lost the zone he would fade back. If DD can snap into that zone of his along with the more consistent golf he is playing, he could start throwing subpar scores up there and that would get his attention even more.

2009 Burner R
FT-I Fusion Squareway 3W 15* Fujikura Speeder Fit-On R
5W R7 R
FT Fusion Hybrids Draw 3/21*, 4/24*
G5 5-PW X-forged Vintage: 52.12, 56.14MDScotty Cameron: Newport 2 ProV1

Note: This thread is 4998 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!