IGNORED

Kelly Tilghman comment

bca42
Note: This thread is 5938 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Just to play devil's advocate, how do we know that Kelly was talking about lynching in the terms of the KKK? Perhaps she recently saw "3:10 to Yuma" or another Western movie where all the young guns would gang up to take out the meanest, fastest, bad-ass gun-slinger. Since they can't beat him individually, they decide to gang up to trap him in the back alley and hang (lynch) him. That would be the only way for them to have a chance to become the best.

While I was being somewhat facetious in the above, I think the bottom line is that she made a mistake, regardless of her intentions. Unless somebody on this site knows her well (and I don't mean just watching her on TV or rumblings on the rumor mill), then it's really hard for any of us to speak of her character (or lack of) and what the true intentions of her comment were. That being said, it appears that the people that do know her (the people at Tiger's camp) have given her a mulligan, so I'm inclined to do the same. Nonetheless, the current societal climate has a zero tolerance for any form of racism, intended or not. Sure, the lack of malice should be considered and perhaps have a bearing on any future punishment. Unfortunately, it does not absolve her of the pain it inflicted.

Like it or not, it appears that she will be tried in the court of public opinions, so the outcome is anyone's guess at this point. While there are those that have called for her head, I personally hope it doesn't get to that point. I'd hate to see a career that she's worked hard to build end with a single mistake, but it does happen. Time will tell.

DT

:titleist: :scotty_cameron:
915D3 / 712 AP2 / SC Mont 1.5

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrator
Just to play devil's advocate, how do we know that Kelly was talking about lynching in the terms of the KKK?

As I said before, even if we remove

all racism, it's still talking about murder. And Kelly went to school at Duke, has lived in the South, etc. She wasn't thinking of a Western. Nor was Nick Faldo suggesting physical harm with "gang up."
Sure, the lack of malice should be considered and perhaps have a bearing on any future punishment.

I think a two-week vacation, errr, suspension is a pretty light sentence. It shows that TGC is aware that she made a mistake, and it amounts to little more than a slap on the wrist.

I don't even think that we'll be discussing this issue in our first podcast of the year (after the PGA show), and frankly, I hope discussion of it dies down quickly. And for the record, I agree with those who think she's a horrible announcer. TGC should have gone outside to hire someone. Rich Lerner and Kelly are painful to listen to.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Folks: Regarding Kelly Tilghman's apparent faux pas on TV and those that intrepreted it as a racist comment, which I don't, consider some of the posts in here regarding Kelly being "hot", notwithstanding her alleged non standard sexual orientation. Seems to me that some of those posts are far more mean spirited than Kelly's obvious innocent comment on Tiger Woods. Since some in here feel Kelly should be tar and feathered for her Tiger comment as well as what other "broadcast experts" consider a lack of on air talent, they might take a look at their own biases. Just something to think about.

[QUOTE=SubPar;98566]

A lot of people have suffered for making comments about fried chicken, watermelon, monkeys. and so on. When you are in a position like that you have to separate your locker-room jokes from the one's you make on the air.

[QUOTE]

Shouldn't we be striving for a little bit more than keeping our incredibly poor taste jokes in the locker room? Maybe something like having them not exist?

IMO, the ignoring of off-color jokes by people who aren't racist, sexist, et al. allows the real racist etc.. people cover. It allows people to hide under the excuse that "it was funny, it wasn't meant to be serious" and create "steps" if you will from the enlightened to the ignorant when the contrast should be a precipitous drop.

The real problem with this comment isn't the racial overtones, it isn't the malice or lack of behind it, it is the fact that this is what we choose to battle in terms of racism. It is the cliched low hanging fruit. We don't attack the real ignorance behind racism we attack what everyone involved sees as a monumentally poor decision. We do this because it is easy. Everybody can tell you how terrible the comment was and the history of the word lynching. But you don't hear people discussing how we create an environment where this type of comment would cease to be a slip of the tongue.

Shouldn't we be striving for a little bit more than keeping our incredibly poor taste jokes in the locker room? Maybe something like having them not exist?

I think this is an insightful and penetrating series of observations. Bravo.

shortgame85
In the Bag:
Driver: :TaylorMade: RBZ 9.5 Reg Flex
3 Wood :TaylorMade: RBZ Reg Flex
Hybrid: Ping G25 Hybrids 17*, 20*, 23*

Irons:Ping G25 5-Gap Wedge, Sr Flex, Vokey 56.14 Spin Mill NS Pro Reg, Flex

Putter: Bobby Grace Center Shaft 32"

Well put. Unfortunately, one can catagorize your response in the same context as solving world hunger. As long as people differ in race, color and religion, we'll have that nonsense to deal with. I don't agree that crucifying someone over a comment that I believe was innocent and a poor choice of words is appropriate. It solves nothing. There is a first ammedment right of free speech and while I agree taste is important and Kelly could have used a better choice of words her punishment was an over reaction by holier than thou executives on the golf channel.

Please, Please drop this. I've seen and heard enough of AL "The Race Merchant" Sharton to do me my lifetime and many others!!!

:tmade: R15 14* Matrix Black Tie 7m3

:adams: Speedline Super S 3w & 5w Matrix Radix HD S VI

:callaway: X-12 4-PW Memphis 10

IONNOVEX  Type S GDT 50*, 54* & 62* Mitsubishi Rayon Kuro Kage Black 80ir

:odyssey: Tri-Ball SRT

-Landon

Please, Please drop this. I've seen and heard enough of AL "The Race Merchant" Sharton to do me my lifetime and many others!!!

Right on, and its just possible that she did not mean it in a racist manner. Maybe its Kelly who got lynched....paid a big price for a poor chioce of words.

O..M..G having told you my views on this (that it was NOT a racist comment) I decided to watch what happened for the first time, too see what happened in context, and after watching it I think its a complete joke that some of you have even considered it to be racist, it is the most harmless 'in the moment' joke I have heard, and its over sensitive 'muppets' like some people have displayed themselves to be her that got here suspended, Tiger was right, this is a non issue. Everyone should be issuing their apologies to Killy Tilghman for their ridiculous over reactions to what was said!

For those who haven't seen or heard the comment HERE it is, can you honestly tell me that's racist in any way or form!

In my Ping UCLAN Team Bag

Nike Sasqautch 9.5 - V2 Stiff
Cleveland HiBore 15 - V2 Stiff
Ben Hogan Apex FTX, 2 - PW - Dynamic Gold StiffNike SV Tour 52, 58 - Dynamic Golf StiffYes Golf Callie - 33 inchesBall - Srixon Z star X

O..M..G having told you my views on this (that it was NOT a racist comment) I decided to watch what happened for the first time, too see what happened in context, and after watching it I think its a complete joke that some of you have even considered it to be racist, it is the most harmless 'in the moment' joke I have heard, and its over sensitive 'muppets' like some people have displayed themselves to be her that got here suspended, Tiger was right, this is a non issue. Everyone should be issuing their apologies to Killy Tilghman for their ridiculous over reactions to what was said!

Agreed...

Driver: 905R 9.5*
3-wood: 906F 13*
Irons: Forged Blades
Wedges: Black Satin SV Tour 52* , 56*, 60*
Putter: FuturaBall: ProV1x or One Platinum---------------------------------------------------------My 2008 Tournament Qualifiers:Tennessee State Match Play - Qualified - July...

I did hear the comment live and it did not strike me as racist. However, I can completely understand why TGC chose to suspend her. I don't believe she intended to even use the word lynch. It just came out in her conversation. I think she was looking for something along the lines of jump or mug. That said, she is paid a lot of money to represent TGC and in many ways the PGA Tour.

As a white male, I can never understand the depth of racism. Although I may experience some level of discrimination, it won't compare to what other groups have gone through.

I look forward to her being on the air again soon. Maybe reunited with Vince.
Driver: 9.5° 905R Stiff Aldila NV 65
3 Wood: 15.° Pro Trajectory 906F4 Stiff Aldila VS Proto Blue
Hybrid: 19.0° 503 H Stiff Dynamic Gold S400
Hybrid: 21.0° Edge C.F.T. Ti Stiff Aldila NVS
Irons: 775cb 4-GW w/S300 Sand Wedge: Vokey 58° Puttter: Laguna Mid-Slant Pro PlatinumBall: ProV1Bag: Li...

I did hear the comment live and it did not strike me as racist. However, I can completely understand why TGC chose to suspend her. I don't believe she intended to even use the word lynch. It just came out in her conversation. I think she was looking for something along the lines of jump or mug. That said, she is paid a lot of money to represent TGC and in many ways the PGA Tour.

Lost Ball looks at it the same way pretty much

Lost Ball doesn't think she meant it in a racist way NOR does Lost Ball consider her to be a racist But good lord, what a stupid comment. Lost Ball agrees completely with her suspension and am glad we are moving on without her getting TOO MUCH slack (though it has gotten bad for some media members)
Golf is so popular simply because it is the best game in the world at which to be bad.

- A.A. Milne

What "figurative" sense is there? Can you "figuratively" kill someone? I guess the only way you could do that is by saying, for example, "I'm gonna kill you" and then shooting 62 while Tiger shoots 68. That's "killing him..." on the golf course.

dude it was a joke, i dont care how she said it, it was a joke, you laugh and then you move on. should she be punished absolutely not. -matt

Driver: 09 Burner 10.5 Aldila NV 65 X Stiff
3wd: G10 14* Aldila NV 85 X Stiff
Hybrid: G10 18* Aldila NV 105 X Stiff
3-PW: I10 X100
Wedge: Tour 52* & 58* S400Putter: Circa 62 No.2 35" Ball: Tour IXLowest 9 (-E) 36Lowest 18 (+2) 73

dude it was a joke, i dont care how she said it, it was a joke, you laugh and then you move on. should she be punished absolutely not.

agreed 268%

Ben Hogan Apex FTX, 2 - PW - Dynamic Gold StiffNike SV Tour 52, 58 - Dynamic Golf StiffYes Golf Callie - 33 inchesBall - Srixon Z star X

I agree it was a joke, but how stupid do you have to be? I first found out about the comment online, and then later saw the clip of her saying it. When I read it, it can most definately come across as racist, watching the clip it is plain to see she is joking. Not sure if she should be suspended (I wouldn't do it, but if TGC doesn't, do they end up getting some backlash from other groups?) but in the wake of all the other race scandals that have occured in the not so distant past you would think a TV personality would have the common sense not to to use "lynching" in referance to a black man.

Oh well, I wouldn't last 5 minutes on TV without saying something stupid/inappropriate...

Classic 290 10.5 Miyazaki C. Kua 43 R

AMP 15 Aldila RIP F

Baffler Rail H 17 & 22 Fujikura Motore S

S2 Forged 5-GW Nippon NS Pro 900xh R

SM 54 & 58 Vokey Nippon 105T W

Studio Style Newport 1.5

I agree it was a joke, but how stupid do you have to be?.

Its not stupid at all, jeeezzzz, the stupid people are the ones who think its either racist or a 'silly' thing to say, I almost want to say get over it, as Tiger said it is a non issue, it was not racist, it was not silly, the stupid people are the ones who have treated it as such!

i thought her comment was a little out of line. when watching the conversation you can tell she just blurted out the first thing that came to her mind. i think the two week suspension is a good punishment.

In my Ogio bag I have:
Ball: Prov1 or Prov1x One Platinum
Wedges: Vokey Spin Milled 54 58
Irons: 690CB 2-PW
Putter: Newport 1.5Woods: R7 (15deg) launcher comp (19deg)Driver: R7 SuperquadShoes: Sp8 TW Tour"Out here on tour its not how you mark your golf ball, its how you mark your...

the stupid people are the ones who think its either racist or a 'silly' thing to say

Lost Ball wants to know how you DON'T think it was silly?

Golf is so popular simply because it is the best game in the world at which to be bad.

- A.A. Milne

Note: This thread is 5938 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!