IGNORED

Kelly Tilghman comment

bca42
Note: This thread is 5953 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Stop speaking in the third person, and ill give you a proper answer. That is all.

In my Ping UCLAN Team Bag

Nike Sasqautch 9.5 - V2 Stiff
Cleveland HiBore 15 - V2 Stiff
Ben Hogan Apex FTX, 2 - PW - Dynamic Gold StiffNike SV Tour 52, 58 - Dynamic Golf StiffYes Golf Callie - 33 inchesBall - Srixon Z star X

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm fairly hesitant to wade into this mess. My thoughts on the episode itself, which I saw/heard live, are fairly close to those Rusty2228 expressed in post #94, page 11 of this thread. The belligerent outrage about the comment (ripe as it is with blatant and disgusting racial meaning, intended or not) is, at best, quite misplaced. The outrage seems to be based on the fact that she said such a thing out loud and into a hot mic. Should we not be more concerned with the fact that such an ugly sentiment still has palpable meaning in our society? I really doubt she intended such a nasty slur, but she's certainly guilty of poor judgment. I could not care less whether her employer reprimanded her.

Its not stupid at all, jeeezzzz, the stupid people are the ones who think its either racist or a 'silly' thing to say, I almost want to say get over it, as Tiger said it is a non issue, it was not racist, it was not silly, the stupid people are the ones who have treated it as such!

JaY_B, you're obvious annoyance about this is interesting and understandable, I think. I wonder whether you get what that word really means in the states. It synonymous with/inseparable from a thing white folks did to black folks, especially in the south, the region from which Ms. Tilghman supposedly hails. Whether she meant to invoke that sense of it is not really the issue. The ugliness in Jena, Louisiana, last year as well as the incident at Columbia illustrate that lynching and the image of the noose are still quite resonant.

Driver: FT-3 Tour 10.5, Grafalloy ProLaunch Blue 75-S
FW: Insight XTD Pro FP400F 14.5, Graphite Design Tour AD YSQ FW Stiff
Hybrids: G10 18 / 21, AWT Stiff
Irons: Steelhead X-14 PS 4-A, DG S300
Wedge: Vokey SM58.12Putter: 35" Studio Design 1.5Ball: B330, Z Star X or AD333, or D2 Feel...

folly, thanks for sensible reply.

I wouldn't say that the whole issue itself annoys me, its the sometimes predictable and unnecessary comments that people say without thinking.
Watching the incident shows that it was not meant racially, nor was it an implied racial comment.
I understand that the word lynch carries bad and unthinkable memories, but remember that anyone can be lynched, the word lynch was not created as the way to describe a black man being hung, it is a word to describe someone being hung.
My main grievance is not this issue in particular, but the level of racial sensitivity our two countries currently find ourselves in, it is at the point now where if there is a black person (should I say multi ethnic??) in my class I feel awkward and think carefully about the words I choose, fair enough I should not go out and out to offend someone, but I would never call a black person a 'nigger' in the same way I would call a ginger 'ginger pubes' (childish I know) yet calling some one ginger pubes is probably more offensive and hurtful to the person receiving the insult than the black person being called 'nigger', racial sensitivity and political correctness has taking two steps too far, it is beyond the point of racial equality and is now at the point of people from different back grounds being in a way over protected.
It has got to the point in England where I feel an immigrant (which I have no problem with) legal or not gets more protection and more help from the government than I do, this cannot be right surely?

Please don't take anything I have said and assume I am a racist, I simply think the issue of equality has been over done, and the issue of racism is over exaggerated, yes there are some racist groups, but the vast majority of people couldn't care less if you was Jamaican, Indian, English, Polish etc etc, the issue of racism would actually be less of a problem if so much racial hatred was NOT caused by the governments.

Ben Hogan Apex FTX, 2 - PW - Dynamic Gold StiffNike SV Tour 52, 58 - Dynamic Golf StiffYes Golf Callie - 33 inchesBall - Srixon Z star X

Stop speaking in the third person, and ill give you a proper answer. That is all.

Lost Ball thinks that is silly

Golf is so popular simply because it is the best game in the world at which to be bad.

- A.A. Milne

Lost Ball thinks that is silly

made me smile

folly, thanks for sensible reply.

Here's what bothers me about the comment, which I don't believe was supposed to be malicious. The fact that it WAS a slip of the tongue. The fact that it HAPPENED to be the first thing that came to her mind. Try and look at it from the idea that comments that casually appear are usually near the forefront of one's mind. Now does that make her racist, not necessarily and I would think that she isn't.

She probably was exposed to the term (which while you are correct about it being applied to all races, is more sensitive to black people. Here in the states it is like calling all facial tissue a Kleenex. It just has that connotation) and having been around it for however many years while it may not be in her day to day vocabulary it is prevalent enough to come out in the heat of the moment. So that is why I believe punishment is fitting here. If we were to treat it as nothing happened it allows terms and jokes and stereotypes to linger around that much longer rather than edging closer to extinction. [Note from the son of an english teacher: People are hanged, pictures are hung. Unless you are Rusty2228! ]

Has anyone seen Golfweek? Yikes.

Yeah. Absolutely pathetic. It is a blatant attempt to piss people off and took Kelly's "slip of the tongue" way too damn far.

Here is an article about it.... Here is the cover....

Driver: 905R 9.5*
3-wood: 906F 13*
Irons: Forged Blades
Wedges: Black Satin SV Tour 52* , 56*, 60*
Putter: FuturaBall: ProV1x or One Platinum---------------------------------------------------------My 2008 Tournament Qualifiers:Tennessee State Match Play - Qualified - July...

I feel so sorry for Kelly right now, although after reading that article it sounds like Golf Week might end up in more trouble for this than Kelly did for her original comment.

What Kelly said was wrong, and she acknowledged it after the fact. Tiger was ok with it, and it should have been dropped. 20 years ago, nothing would have been said about this, but people of today are so damn sensitive to any comment about anything. There was no racial underlying whatsoever, and to think that is ignorant.

People are griping about the noose on the cover of Golfweek, but whose head is actually supposed to be in the noose? Right now, Kelly Tilghman's head seems to be in the noose, and it's unfair. Get over it and move on!

I have nothing but respect for Kelly as an announcer.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

What Kelly said was wrong, and she acknowledged it after the fact. Tiger was ok with it, and it should have been dropped. 20 years ago, nothing would have been said about this, but people of today are so damn sensitive to any comment about anything. There was no racial underlying whatsoever, and to think that is ignorant.

I heard on the radio that the guy responsible for the cover has already been replaced. So it looks like his head is in the noose. It was completely uncalled for. Talk about trying to stoke the flame to sell. I like Golf Week a lot, but I will not pick up that issue. If anyone needs to apologize now, it's them.

Driver: 9.5° 905R Stiff Aldila NV 65
3 Wood: 15.° Pro Trajectory 906F4 Stiff Aldila VS Proto Blue
Hybrid: 19.0° 503 H Stiff Dynamic Gold S400
Hybrid: 21.0° Edge C.F.T. Ti Stiff Aldila NVS
Irons: 775cb 4-GW w/S300 Sand Wedge: Vokey 58° Puttter: Laguna Mid-Slant Pro PlatinumBall: ProV1Bag: Li...

Kelly seems like a nice enough person, but she messed up live on the air. TGC's punishment was a little harsh. She clearly was joking around and didn't mean any harm. It was simply a very poor choice of words by a relatively inexperienced broadcaster. That said, she is a terrible announcer and shouldn't even be on the air.

what i dont understand is why do people think she slipped? just cause she said lynch doesn't mean it has to be a black person like jayb said. yeah she apologized, but i bet if you ask her off record she would say she didn't do anything wrong. TGC probally made her apologize. She DID NOT say anything wrong, unfortunately the media turned and pulled from context what she said. this is FACT, she said "lynch" and media made it sound like she said "lets go hang us a colored folk". which absolutely bullshit and kelly should sue for them making her look like a racist.

-matt

Driver: 09 Burner 10.5 Aldila NV 65 X Stiff
3wd: G10 14* Aldila NV 85 X Stiff
Hybrid: G10 18* Aldila NV 105 X Stiff
3-PW: I10 X100
Wedge: Tour 52* & 58* S400Putter: Circa 62 No.2 35" Ball: Tour IXLowest 9 (-E) 36Lowest 18 (+2) 73

but i bet if you ask her off record she would say she didn't do anything wrong.

Lost Ball would take that bet and wager everything Lost Ball owns on it

Golf is so popular simply because it is the best game in the world at which to be bad.

- A.A. Milne

your silly

Driver: 09 Burner 10.5 Aldila NV 65 X Stiff
3wd: G10 14* Aldila NV 85 X Stiff
Hybrid: G10 18* Aldila NV 105 X Stiff
3-PW: I10 X100
Wedge: Tour 52* & 58* S400Putter: Circa 62 No.2 35" Ball: Tour IXLowest 9 (-E) 36Lowest 18 (+2) 73

All I have to say is BFD....big f***ing deal. This is not even a story. Lynch is just a word. She didn't come out and throw a "real" racial slur, and who cares if shes from the deep South, that means nothing.

It comes down to one word...lynch. Thats all. This shouldn't even be a hiccup in her career, but look at what its drawn. And if you actually watch the video, it was casual and she was just trying to talk, it's her job.

She didn't make a "terrible mistake". She made a mistake, and its only one because of the sensitivity of all the critics who like to get their panties in a bunch just to get their panties in a bunch.

I'd rather hear what Bill Cosby has to say on this issue than some idiot like Al Sharpton.

905R 9.5˚ - UST Proforce V2
904F 15˚ - YS-6
695cb 3-PW Dynamic Gold S300
Vokey SM54.14 and SM60.08
Scotty Cameron Newport 2 Pro V1x / Pro V1Cyberbilt

it isnt an overly racial thing, go look it up in the dictionary. You just get the racist black guy al sharpton on cnn, who says its racial and she should be fired, and then its a big deal. I never heard of the thing on golf week, but please guys. Get a dictionary. If she said lynch phil mickelson in a back alley, nobody would have noticed.

In the Maxfli X Carry Bag

Driver- Callaway FT-3 Fusion- Stiff
3 wood- Titleist 904F
Hybrid- Ping G10- 21 degreesIrons-4-PW Titleist DCI's Wedges- 52, 56, 60 Classic 11'sPutter- Odyssey White Hot Tour #1

If she said lynch phil mickelson in a back alley, nobody would have noticed.

Lost Ball disagrees. Any lynching of Phil would be getting national pub as well...but not of the racial kind...just of the "What the hell did she say that for?" type statements

- A.A. Milne

Note: This thread is 5953 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!