IGNORED

Need help optimizing driver

Note: This thread is 2538 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hey all,

Need a little help and analysis of the data below. I was a little shocked after looking at the data because I was expecting a higher launch angle to give me the optimal numbers although the lower lofted and lower launch angle gave me the best numbers here. I know this doesn't show my AoA but just wanted to get your guys' feedback and suggestions on the limited data that I have provided here. Should I stick with the 8.5 and work on increasing my AoA?

(One note, the 8.5* listed on the screenshot is actually 8.75*)

Is it right that you seem to be swinging faster with the lower lofted club (or at least are getting higher ball speeds)?  if each mph = 2.5 yds then that could be all the difference in numbers.  Spin might also be relevant - with your 8.5' you are getting slightly lower spin at 2600 v 3000 on the 10.5.  

With all of the clubs though I would think getting the launch angle up to 13-15' would increase your distances.  Once you've got that done then there might be some gains in optimizing spin, speed and smash if you keep getting consistently different results with the different lofts.

Adam

:ping: G30 Driver 

:callaway: XR16 3W
:callaway: Big Bertha 5W
:ping: S55 4-W 
:ping: 50' , 56', 60' Glide Wedge
:odyssey: White Hot #7 Putter

Well I didn't have a chance to fully warm up before I started hitting so there is that discrepancy since I started with 10.5 and worked down to 8.75.

That is very interesting. With your club head speed I would think that a 12 degree launch angle would be perfect. You just need to monitor your spin. You don't want to go over about 2500 rpm. Once you're there your set. Not sure if this helps.

On 5/9/2017 at 8:43 AM, brg1875 said:

Hey all,

Need a little help and analysis of the data below. I was a little shocked after looking at the data because I was expecting a higher launch angle to give me the optimal numbers although the lower lofted and lower launch angle gave me the best numbers here.

In terms of variance between golf swings. I would classify those two shots as identical in terms of launch angle and spin rate. Also, take into account that the ball speed is 8 mph less on the 2nd shot. That is the biggest reason why those two shots have a distance gap. 

At 160 mph ball speed you probably want 12-13 launch angle with mid to low 2000 rpm. I would say work on getting that spin rate down. Also, there is more too the club than loft. CG location, and golf shaft play a part in launch angle. It could be that golf shaft is too weak for your swing. You might see better results with a stouter golf shaft, and a higher lofted driver. 

Yea, keep working on hitting up on the ball as well. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

On 5/9/2017 at 6:10 AM, brg1875 said:

Well I didn't have a chance to fully warm up before I started hitting so there is that discrepancy since I started with 10.5 and worked down to 8.75.

Yeah when I'm testing drivers I always go back to the first one I hit for that reason.

Also less loft can increase ball speed a bit.

More importantly, yes it does look like you need to get more shallow/hit more up with the driver.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 2538 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!