IGNORED

Left Leg Straightens (Need Help)

Note: This thread is 2526 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hi Everybody,

For the past month, I've been struggling with a major issue, or issues in my swing. In the downswing, my left leg (while initially bent after the takeaway), starts to lock up and straighten. This avoids me from getting any weight onto my left side (I'm a Righty, btw), causing a great deal of power loss in my swing. In addition, in order to compensate for the straightening of my leg, my head dips down, too. What are some tips and drills I can do to get a correct weight shift and avoid my left leg from straightening? If videos and or photos are needed, please tell me.

Thanks

(P.S. This is my first post so sorry if I messed something up)

• Administrator
4 hours ago, ZGoldston said:

Hi Everybody,

For the past month, I've been struggling with a major issue, or issues in my swing. In the downswing, my left leg (while initially bent after the takeaway), starts to lock up and straighten. This avoids me from getting any weight onto my left side (I'm a Righty, btw), causing a great deal of power loss in my swing. In addition, in order to compensate for the straightening of my leg, my head dips down, too. What are some tips and drills I can do to get a correct weight shift and avoid my left leg from straightening? If videos and or photos are needed, please tell me.

Thanks

(P.S. This is my first post so sorry if I messed something up)

Well…

Besides the obvious "keep your left leg flexed longer," you could try doing some things like moving your left knee outside your left ankle, rehearsing a better move in slow motion and speeding it up gradually, etc.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I have a golf buddy who played a lot of baseball in his youth. Every once in a while he will fall into the old "baseball swing". Staying "behind the ball" he will straighten his left leg and spin on his left heel! He leaves all his weight on his right foot.

I know a lot of folks here don't like Hank Haney, but I saw a vid of his talking about getting your weight into the left side. He said if that's what you're working on, then work on that! Don't worry about where the ball goes! Get your weight over there. Just tell yourself that's what you're going to do, and go do it!

If you're a righty and leave your weight on your right hand side, you are sunk! When a buddy of mine would hit a particularly fine shot, I'd tell him "Well, you really got your left ass cheek into that one!"

Obviously keeping your left leg flexed longer is the key.  For me, the problem has been straightening the right leg, but in theory any straightening that lifts you away from the ball is not good.

What I have started doing is not flexing my knees that much when setting up.  They are not locked, but they are pretty straight.  I've never done this before but it has helped to keep me balanced and not do the lift-down-lift move.  My head doesn't move as much and I can lift my left heel on the backswing without lifting my upper body.  I also feel that I'm not fighting as much to get to the left side.  I'm getting more consistent contact and it seems to be easier on my body.

I have no idea if it will help you at all and I'm just throwing it out in case you can't use a drill to fix your issue.

John

That's a good point 70sSanO. I see too many guys look like they are doing a squat when they set up to the ball. Look at the pros. They set up with their knees just slightly flexed. In a down the line pic, a vertical line drawn downward from their armpits will hit the balls of their feet.

Note: This thread is 2526 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!