IGNORED

Draw ball stance

Note: This thread is 2519 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

So I've been reading that in order to draw the ball you need a  closed stance to the target line and a slightly open face target line...

but it if you hit the ball straight with neutral square stance to target line , wouldn't closing the stance just make to straight but out to the right with the swing path like you just picked a new target more right than intended??

am I missing something here ?

WITB: Titleist 975D, Mizuno T-Zoid Pro 5i,7i,9i, Mizuno Black Ox Raw 56* SW, Ping Anser 3 lives in a TourTrek Sunday Carry Bag

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 hour ago, hack2scratch said:

So I've been reading that in order to draw the ball you need a  closed stance to the target line and a slightly open face target line...

but it if you hit the ball straight with neutral square stance to target line , wouldn't closing the stance just make to straight but out to the right with the swing path like you just picked a new target more right than intended??

am I missing something here ?

To hit a draw, you need a face angle (at impact) that is closed to the clubface path.  Assuming a path that is neutral to the stance, that means the face is also closed to the stance.

To make a straight draw hit the target, you need to adjust your stance to the right of the target (aka, "closed").

nine_ball_flights.jpg

So, yes, generally, it seems like your source is incorrect.

While it's a bit hard to understand what you've written, part of the confusion might be that a "closed stance" involves turning your body right, while a "closed face" involves turning the face left.  Also, using "target line" is confusing - what does that mean?  Is it where your feet are aiming?  Or where you want the ball to go (e.g., the pin)?

Depending on the source you've "been reading", they might have gotten things mixed up.

Edited by Hardspoon
  • Upvote 1

- John

Yeah stance can affect path for some people but it is not required to hit a draw.  The ball flight laws, the relationship of the club face angle to the path at impact are what matter.  I hit draws for years with and open stance and hitting a push draw right of the target line while my feet were lined up left of the target line.

Nate

:pxg:(10.5) :benhogan:(4W):titleist:U500(3UI) :benhogan: Icon(4-PW) :edel:(52/58)

:odyssey:Putter :snell: MTB Black  

Yes, And if you're trying to hit a draw by closing your stance make sure you also close your body and shoulders. You're trying to swing out to the right with the clubface slightly closed to the clubhead path.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Buckeyebowman said:

Yes, And if you're trying to hit a draw by closing your stance make sure you also close your body and shoulders. You're trying to swing out to the right with the clubface slightly closed to the clubhead path.

To add to this a bit, I think the shoulders closed will have more effect than the feet being closed, on producing a swing path in to out.  This is well and good so long as the club face remains in the same orientation as before, which would make it closed to path in this example.

I still remember watching T Woods hitting range balls at the US Open at Chambers with a 3wood.  One after another, closed stance, open stance, draw, fade.  Back and forth for 20 shots it seemed like and every single one looked perfect.  Too bad he had no idea how to bring that to the course.

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

Team :srixon:!

I can't find the thread here, and this has been posted before, but watch the beginning of this video, the second time he drops the basketball off the dam. Same applies to curve balls, sinkers, tennis shots, those curvey soccer shots, field goals, etc.

http://mentalfloss.com/article/81275/surprising-science-dropping-basketballs-dam

(edited)

Ah good stuff, I do notice that i naturally fade when i'm tired/anxious or nervous.

But when i'm playing my best, It will go straight or a very very small draw if the ball is above my feet

I was also reading up on finish position of hands. Do i reach for the sky to make it draw more? Since you can only reach for the sky by going inside out?

Edited by hack2scratch

WITB: Titleist 975D, Mizuno T-Zoid Pro 5i,7i,9i, Mizuno Black Ox Raw 56* SW, Ping Anser 3 lives in a TourTrek Sunday Carry Bag

Note: This thread is 2519 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!