IGNORED

Cart Bags putting Putter Well on Front

Note: This thread is 2521 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

So it seems that the new trend has been to move the external putter well from the side of the cart bag to the front on new models. I am not a fan. The issue I am having is that having the well on the front makes the depth of the well greater than that of the putter, which means the putter is hanging by the putter head. This makes getting the putter out more annoying. Also, I use a putter towel that clips to the putter shaft (which is awesome), but that wouldn't work if the entire shaft goes into the well.

Does anyone still make a cart bag with the putter well on the side? Or if not, one with a well that isn't as deep or deeper than the length of a standard putter? I can't for the life of me figure out why they decided that the well needed to be relocated....

Edited by hilmar2k

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• iacas changed the title to Cart Bags putting Putter Well on Front
  • Administrator

I'm not really a fan of putter wells to begin with. I think, though, that putting them on the side means they can interfere with the straps and things on push carts. Or on a driving cart, can get stuck between the two bags. Putting them on the "front" makes sense to me.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

My recollection of bags with this well (I don't care for them, so I never looked closely) was that the bags generally have 14 slots AND a well.  That leaves 15 spots for 14 clubs.  Did the wells start out as places for umbrellas, but people used it for putters instead?

(edited)
2 minutes ago, MRR said:

My recollection of bags with this well (I don't care for them, so I never looked closely) was that the bags generally have 14 slots AND a well.  That leaves 15 spots for 14 clubs.  Did the wells start out as places for umbrellas, but people used it for putters instead?

Yeah, I don't get why there are still 14 spots when there is putter well. It triggers my OCD tendencies a bit having an empty spot in my bag..... But the putter well is great. I am not sure why people wouldn't like them. Especially with the advent of oversized putter grips.

Edited by hilmar2k

• Administrator
22 minutes ago, hilmar2k said:

Yeah, I don't get why there are still 14 spots when there is putter well. It triggers my OCD tendencies a bit having an empty spot in my bag..... But the putter well is great. I am not sure why people wouldn't like them. Especially with the advent of oversized putter grips.

Put your alignment sticks in the extra slot, along with your 3' metal yardstick.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

2 hours ago, iacas said:

Put your alignment sticks in the extra slot, along with your 3' metal yardstick.

Just not a ball-retriever!   ;-) 

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

• Administrator
2 hours ago, David in FL said:

Or a chipper.

9 minutes ago, iacas said:

Or a chipper.

Nah, that would be a 15th club!

:-D 

In David's bag....

Alignment sticks and Orange Whip in mine.  I would suggest that you put a plug of some kind so the handle is supported there by lifting the head up for easy grasping.

Driver G with Tour 65 shaft 10.5 neutral setting by :ping:
3W G30, #3 and #4 Hybrid, Irons 5 to GW G25 by :ping:
54 & 58 Glide Wedges and putter Cadence TR Anser 2  Traditional also by :ping:
Ball TriSpeed Tour by :srixon: Shoes M Project Wide by :footjoy:
Bag and Push cart by :sunmountain:

1 hour ago, WildTurkey said:

I would suggest that you put a plug of some kind so the handle is supported there by lifting the head up for easy grasping.

Now that's a pretty good idea.....

On 5/23/2017 at 0:25 PM, iacas said:

I'm not really a fan of putter wells to begin with. I think, though, that putting them on the side means they can interfere with the straps and things on push carts. Or on a driving cart, can get stuck between the two bags. Putting them on the "front" makes sense to me.

How big is the grip on your putter?  I'd guess those with those huge putter grips are probably big fans of putter wells.

As far as putting them on the front, never really thought about it, but makes sense based on your points.

On 5/23/2017 at 5:41 PM, David in FL said:

Come on! Some of us need those!

On 5/23/2017 at 8:09 PM, iacas said:

Or a chipper.

LOL! My buddy has had one in his bag for years! One day we were chipping and putting before a round, and I pulled it out of his bag to try it. OMG! It felt like I was hitting the ball with a hunk of tin! It's one of those double sided ones so you can hit it righty or lefty. I don't know why he keeps it in the bag...along with his ball retriever!

Just now, Buckeyebowman said:

Come on! Some of us need those!

LOL! My buddy has had one in his bag for years! One day we were chipping and putting before a round, and I pulled it out of his bag to try it. OMG! It felt like I was hitting the ball with a hunk of tin! It's one of those double sided ones so you can hit it righty or lefty. I don't know why he keeps it in the bag...along with his ball retriever!

A 2-sided chipper is not a legal club.  A high quality chipper is, as Erik knows, something I highly recommend that mid-high hcpers give a try.  Most would cut strokes from their game.  Most won't though because their misplaced ego often gets in the way.

In David's bag....

On 5/23/2017 at 3:19 PM, iacas said:

That's exactly what I use it for, but it does sometimes "tweak" my obsessive tendencies. 

- John

• Administrator
On 5/25/2017 at 10:45 PM, David in FL said:

A 2-sided chipper is not a legal club.  A high quality chipper is, as Erik knows, something I highly recommend that mid-high hcpers give a try.  Most would cut strokes from their game.  Most won't though because their misplaced ego often gets in the way.

And it's a wasted club for the golfer who spends even five minutes learning basic chipping technique.

OT though.

• Upvote 1

Note: This thread is 2521 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!